• UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO FORECAST OF RAIN: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Help - can't get these nuts off

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I may have screwed myself here... can't get these 4 12mm nuts to bust free. Well I got one off, but two of them are now pretty rounded, and the other won't move. The belt isn't turning, the pulley just spins inside the belt when I try to move them. Too tight with the fan to put a socket on them, and my open end wrenches have now rounded them off.. what to do?

Attachments

• pulley_bolts1.jpg
    pulley_bolts1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 239
  • pulley_bolts2.jpg
    pulley_bolts2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 226

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
coat them with pb blaster and get a flare wrench

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I just picked up a 10 - 12 mm flare wrench at sears last week. Worked great on those rounded off brake line nuts. I took a flat file to the nuts to reshape them some first. How I ever managed without that tool before, I don't know.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Well I tried the flare wrench, now I have 3 more round nuts. that thing was useless. At least I got one off so I can take that to the store tomorrow, but I'm going to switch to the grinder now. :mad:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I'd be careful about the grinder Tim. I would hate for you to go to far and mess of the bolts.

A short socket with the (can't remember the name ??) kind of socket wrench with the bend at the end won't fit?

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Vise grips?

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
what about trying heat to break it free. I had to do that on my 40, err your 40 when I removed the original springs.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
These things are tight enough to round off in the flare wrench... and I don't think I have a vice grip that will grab that tight anyway. I tried heating one with propane, didn't seem to do anything. Plus I can't get the grinder in there anyway, it smacks into the pulley before the wheel will even hit a nut. So now I'm filing my way through each nut.. damn this sucks.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Try a larger vise grip, you may have to get a new one that fits they have several sizes and shapes. If that does not work try a Rotozip style tool with a small grinding wheel. If that still does not work and your truck still drives you can come over to my house and we can use the plasma cutter. It may take a nick out of the pulley but I have gotten pretty good with it.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
If they are still on there enough to stay on without issue. I'd stop and reserach it more before you go to far and can't get use the truck. Maybe Oleg has an idea or you can bring it by the shop and have Yuri get them off.

edit: or over to Tom's house

IanB

I just got home if you want to bring it over here and try.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, got 'em, thanks everyone. the file & vice grip method eventually prevailed.. looks like about 1 hour per nut? yikes...

now what was I working on again?

IanB

I'm glad everything worked out with your nuts ;) :eek: :lmao: :thumb: :bowdown: :beer: :hill: :flamingo:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here's an after shot.. got it all bolted back up. :D

Attachments

• pulley_done.jpg
    pulley_done.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 179

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Love my metric vice grips. Now if I can just find a metric BFH.

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
You mean you did not re-use the old nuts??? You just got them how you wanted them.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You mean you did not re-use the old nuts??? You just got them how you wanted them.

LOL!! that reminds me, I took pictures of those buggers once I had them off. sorry for the bad focus, but you get the idea..

Attachments

• nuts1.jpg
    nuts1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 191
  • nuts2.jpg
    nuts2.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 176
Well, at least you can SEE them! On my Sidekick, the pulley is dished the other way, and the nuts are down inside the pulley - you have to use a mirror just to see 'em. That's where you earn your money, doing a timing belt on the Kick. The rest is a breeze.

This whole thing reminds me of a song by Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show...Get my rocks off...