• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Ham Usage Data

Interest and Participation in Amateur Radio

• Currently licensed just for club stuff

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Currently licensed and want to upgrade to General

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Not licensed and would like the club to run a class & exam again

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Not licensed but just need pointers on how to become licensed

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Starting to think about something for 2019 Ham & Eggs and want to get a feel for interest in and around the club for current hams and those who might want to be. Just trying to gauge numbers.

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dave,

Your poll didn't really have a category for me: general, use HAM mainly for club stuff, but do operate on 20/40/80/120M occasionally.

For H&E I would like to learn more about NVIS for mobile operation. :)

Thanks for continuing to do this.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm trying to determine is if there is enough people who want the class run again or if there's enough to make organizing a test session worthwhile.

So the question is really if people want to upgrade to General or Extra since both require VEs with Extra Class credentials.

It's not clear to me how to edit a poll, so a vote for the General test option will in reality mean the Extra would be available, too.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Dave,

Schedule permitting, I would be very interested in an Extra class. I also know probably 6 people that could use a technician's class.

J

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I've got my general ticket now, so I didn't vote. Thanks for doing this, Dave!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
g. Technician, but would love if there was to class I could bring my teen kid to.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The main problem I'm facing is location. It's hardly worth driving for a few hours so was thinking it needs to be organized into something more. Just not sure what.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Maybe, depending on poll results, this could possibly turn into a field exercise/wheeling event? Maybe include some more advanced uses like APRS and such?

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I voted for the: Not licensed and would like the club to run a class & exam again

I think this would be great. I'd be willing to help out monetarily to cover any expenses too to get this going if need be?

:cheers:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Maybe, depending on poll results, this could possibly turn into a field exercise/wheeling event? Maybe include some more advanced uses like APRS and such?
That was my thinking, a run similar to the Bill Burke training. Some class time, some demo. Based on the snowy one last year perhaps it wouldn't be difficult to get people to want to travel to GJ. :)

APRS is one thing I wanted to do a class on, perhaps I can get Andy to instruct it. I also was hoping to get unlicensed people and those who have them but no clue into something more organized to walk through operating rather than repeating the same thing several times informally. Yoder should teach emergency communications.

Would a weekend "destination" event be interesting?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I would do a weekend destination event and bring at least two of my kids who want to get licensed.

baja1d

Hard Core 4+

L43dean

Rising Sun Member
Weekend destination would be fun. Scott's experience is an eye opener. I voted in the poll.

LARGEONE

Rising Sun Member
I would like to learn how to hit repeaters to communicate back to Denver from the middle of nowhere. I’ve been using ham to communicate bw trucks on trips, but would be clueless if I actually had to use the radio for more.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Ditto on the weekend destination gig!

Shuksan

Rising Sun Member
I would like to learn how to hit repeaters to communicate back to Denver from the middle of nowhere. I’ve been using ham to communicate bw trucks on trips, but would be clueless if I actually had to use the radio for more.

This would be something I would be very interested in too. Some sort of split group trip where we hit repeaters to connect with each other or back to denver.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
"Currently Licensed Just for Club Stuff" -is the best answer for me but to elaborate a bit...

-I'm happy as a tech but want to be a more active tech by activating other techs. That is to say I don't have a lot of interest in HF and CW, I'm fascinated by antennas, gear, and propagation but less with DX contacts, rag-chewing with strangers, $$$ rigs/towers, etc.

-I am hugely in favor of improving our clubs ham chops. I want to see more in the club getting their license and expanding related use on runs while the rest of us actively improve our skills and knowledge. To that end I hope we can do a test session and expose current and new "4xhams" to topics that fall within the common 4xham realm such as simplex vhf/uhf, repeater operations, APRS, and digital voice modes.

Thanks Dave, Lets do this!