• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

HAM Radio Technician class?

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
I have been studying for the extra test... and man o man the stuff you need to know.... I have not posted up yet, but also have my General license if i can be of any help. I just printed off the 98 pages Matt was referring to....

KD0EXO

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
16 February is President's Day. Will the class still be held on this holiday (holiday for some)?

I believe it will. With "long" running events like this it can get tough putting together a schedule. In addition to holidays, each individual's standing commitments, sports schedule, favorite TV programs (mine is 24) all make it often easiest to "set it and stick with it".

That said, it is a new season of 24 and I'm not keen on missing 4 hours. Perhaps its time to look into that DVR box so many people swear by.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
I'm now confused. Is the class for those who have no ham license, or for those who already have a license and this is some sort of "upgrade your license class" :confused:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
If we wanted to get together all (or as many as possible) general class licensees in the next few weeks we could all fill in the test as more of a discussion type thing. I am thinking that this might be my favorite part.

Discussion?

Sounds great. I am definitely game. Can we do it after Jan. 5th? I'm going to be out of town from 12/28/09 - 1/4/09.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'm now confused. Is the class for those who have no ham license, or for those who already have a license and this is some sort of "upgrade your license class" :confused:

This class will be directed at those who do not have their license at all. However, the class does include much more operating practice teaching than the normal ARRL (American Radio Relay League) technician class would cover. We tend to cover things related to how we use these in our Rigs for wheeling.

The class would be to teach people for the entry level tech license test. They are talking about getting certified to give the actual test (VE is volunteer examiner and VEC is the coordinator). You need to licensed at least one higher level than the test you're administering (so min of General to give Tech test). Kirsten is thinking about coming to the class to get her license, too.

Exactly. Just more geek stuff. Ignore until you have your license, then we want you too!!

Sounds great. I am definitely game. Can we do it after Jan. 5th? I'm going to be out of town from 12/28/09 - 1/4/09.

Me too. I am extremely busy with work all over, and with the holidays and all I would prefer after the new year.

So, February sometime for the tech class... Any thoughts on location? You guys cover a pretty wide area. :)

On the off chance you want to do it in Boulder, I can offer a very nice classroom space with an LCD projector, whiteboards, sound system, etc. If you were willing to open the class up to a couple of folks from the agency (Boulder Emergency Squad), the space is free.

Alex
(Horsetooth 4-Wheelers -- thanks for the heads-up, Matt!)
________
Buy Extreme Q Vaporizer

Last edited:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Previous sessions have been at Stevinson Toyota at Colorado Mills Mall. It is mostly centrally located, and we have had very good luck with getting the space (Rising Sun's usual monthly meeting area).

Ricardo needs to take point on this. Alex, thank you for the opportunity to use the space as well. Ricardo, now you have to help decide where we are going to have it (if you haven't made that decision already).

PhatFJ

Hard Core 4+
OK, I am in... This sounds like a GREAT thing for a newb like me... Thanks to all helping make this possible!! :) :)

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
I am in AGAIN, maybe this time I can finish it without work interrupting. I still have my book from last year, will that still work?

My vote would be for Stevenson and anytime after January.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Previous sessions have been at Stevinson Toyota at Colorado Mills Mall. It is mostly centrally located, and we have had very good luck with getting the space (Rising Sun's usual monthly meeting area).

Ricardo needs to take point on this. Alex, thank you for the opportunity to use the space as well. Ricardo, now you have to help decide where we are going to have it (if you haven't made that decision already).

Stevinson is centrally located; for the metro area and even Ft. Collins to CO Springs:D. I have yet to confirm the availability, but likely will get this done soon.

Alex, I would echo Nathaniel's thanks in regard to offering up the space, it is good to know we have options if our primary location does not work out.

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
We have been confirmed by Stevinson for use of the room for the dates. As always, we need to be out by 9:00 pm.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I am in as well. Also, Allison (my GF) would like to take the class.... is that kosher?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Kosher.