• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

HAM Radio Technician class?

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
My wife and 10 year old daughter would like to get licensed and I have not had any luck in finding a class at any of the radio clubs locally. Is the club interested in doing another class as we did last year? I would be happy to assist.

Discuss...:)

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I think Ricardo has this in the works with me teaching again...

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+
Wow, excellent timing:D. The participation and results from last years class were fantastic. Each year we have made adjustments and improvements to the program. There is quite a bit of material to cover, so we are looking to spread go to 4 nights. We also would like to get Rising Sun participation on the Volunteer Examination Team (VE Team) that administers the exam. So, here are some particulars for all to consider.

This will be the third HAM Radio class for the members of Rising Sun. It is primarily geared toward getting the technicians license, focusing on passing the technician written exam, and good/safe operating practices.

This class is open to anyone interested. We will cover several things that will just be to pass the test, like how the FCC regulates the Amateur Radio section, propogation, electrical theory, etc. We will spend most of our time working on good operating practice, familiarizing ourselves with the radios and antennas, callsigns, station safety and the like. As with years past the class content will only be limited on how far we want to push it.

So to let the holidays slow down, and folks get back into the swing of things, this class will be scheduled for February 2008. This time around the class will be 4, two-hour classes. They will be on Mondays, starting Feb 9th. Classes start at 7pm and will be done by 9pm.

Please post up if you or someone you know is interested in joining us!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I am interested :thumb:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Cool, I was hoping another class would come together. Count me in.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Should I send in my app for VE licensing?

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+

Short answer is yes. I'll get a seperate post up in the Ham Radio Section with some more details on what is needed. For those that are over achievers and want to know more now - everything you need to know is here.

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Count me in for 2 attendees.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Outstanding guys! :thumb::thumb: It would be an nice thing to invite our bruthas and sistas from CLC and Horsetooth to the class too, in my opinion. :cool:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

To qualify to be a Volunteer Examiner, you must:

• be 18 years of age or older; and
  • never have had your amateur station or operator licenses suspended or revoked; and
  • hold a valid General, Advanced or Extra Class license. [97.509]
If you meet these criteria, the ARRL/VEC would like to hear from you. To be accredited by the ARRL/VEC, you must complete a training program. Examiners may be accredited by more than one VEC. VEs are not required to work with only one VE Team or VEC and are not restricted to any particular area. A VEC does not have to accept the services of a VE if it does not want to.

The manual is 98 pages long. I'm going to feel guilty for printing this thing at work. :rolleyes:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Ricardo,

16 February is President's Day. Will the class still be held on this holiday (holiday for some)?:confused:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Hey this is great, I'd be happy to help out with some demos, etc. Just no mobile repeater discussions, ok? :lmao:

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Volunteer Examiners

Including myself, there are at 5 General class licensees who posted to this thread. This means that more than enough people are available to administer the test.

I just spoke with a VEC customer service person at the ARRL. Here is what we (those who have the general class license or above) need in order for us to be able to administer the test in Feb.:

Complete the application form at the end of the VE manual (Hulk posted a link to get to this), complete the open book reveiw test (which we may do together if we wish) and fax it to the ARRL. Once they receive those items, we are immediately put in their system as VE's, and may begin testing immediately. Our badges will take a couple of weeks to arrive, but she said that will not stop us from testing.

All we would need to do then is have a VE liaison to contact a VEC from one of the local clubs to acquire the testing material, and presto! We're in business!

We would only be allowed to administer the Element 2 (Technician) test, and we would definitely have to take it seriously.

If we wanted to get together all (or as many as possible) general class licensees in the next few weeks we could all fill in the test as more of a discussion type thing. I am thinking that this might be my favorite part.

Discussion?

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I'm up for getting together and going over the review test.:thumb: When and where?

wesintl

RS Moderator
I haven't missed one yet. Can you administer a general test too?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
We would only be allowed to administer the Element 2 (Technician) test, and we would definitely have to take it seriously.
Discussion?

I knew I put that in my post, just didn't realize I buried it so deep!:lmao:

The only extra class operator I am aware of in the club is Bruce Miller. In addition to him, we would need at least 3 more extra class operators to give the general test or the extra test. I am not that close to feeling comfortable in passing to try yet.

I'm up for getting together, but probably after December 25th.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
are there any plans on doing a general class, minus the test? i'd be interested.

also, even though i have my tech license, i would like to take the class.