GX470 exhaust mods - need suggestions

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
So about a year ago I installed a Dissent Offroad rear bumper on the GX470. It comes with a bottom plate that essentially erases the rear hanger for the exhaust, behind the resonator. It's also a good 6" higher up than the stock bumper, leaving the stock exhaust setup looking like it's hanging way low, and also a bit in harm's way. I put some bailing wire around it where the old hanger was, just behind the resonator, which as been working great. Here's a pic:

IMG_0725.jpg

I now want to take this thing off the pavement, and while I don't worry too much about hitting it on a rock I know I may get myself into a pickle where I don't make it up something, and then slide backwards. I've done that before, in other vehicles. here's a pic:
IMG_3645.jpg

I'll be taking that exact same line a week from Friday. And I have this feeling that if I slam that exhaust into the ground and continue to roll backwards it's just going to put stress on the whole exhaust pipe, and could likely break something more important than another hanger. So I'm looking to modify. The next hanger up is just behind the muffler, in front of the rear axle.
IMG_0732.jpg

behind the axle there aren't any other hangers, other than my current bailing wire setup.
IMG_0728.jpg

Here are the 2 options in my head right now...

1712595639916.png

And then the other questions would be, do I bother adding more bailing wire? Or just let it hang? And should I try to get another tip for the exhaust, to poke it more behind the tire? or just let it go under the bumper there? The one thing I'll say about this exhaust is it's HOT. I had a receiver hitch tray on there one time, with some luggage on it, and my father-in-law's suitcase was right behind it and totally melted. Not sure if that's normal, just hasn't happened to me before. Anyway, I look forward to your comments... :)

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
IMG_4319.jpeg
IMG_4318.jpeg
IMG_4353.jpeg
IMG_4354.jpeg
IMG_4355.jpeg
I just had a great experience with Jeff at Boulder muffler. I have a habit of squishing my tailpipe.

He’s was awesome and once I let him know I wheeled my 100 series, he immediately said, let’s chop off the resonator, and he’d find a good place to dump the tailpipe.

When I picked it up he said he looked around to find a spot I hadn’t banged up and routed accordingly. I think he did a great job.

I cannot tell a difference in noise.

Burt88

Trail Ready
Same here. Cut off the resonator and did a little downturn just past the last hanger there.

I also recently replaced my muffler and now I sound like a cool kid.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Mine looked like Shaun's for a number of years but I got sick of the whistle. Not sure if the V8 whistles like the 1FZ. Jeff at Boulder muffler was able to tuck the resonator up higher so that the tip still exits behind the wheel.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
I also have a 470 with a Dissent rear. Hi! 👋 We cut in front of the resonator. Maybe @DanS has a picture handy, I'd have to dig around for one.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
@nakman I just realized this is you haha.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
can you keep the resonator but re-plumb it so its mounted much higher up? Is there space to move it up?

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
can you keep the resonator but re-plumb it so its mounted much higher up? Is there space to move it up?
No I don't think there's enough room. I'm just going to chop it off... seems like the consensus is that it's not any louder without it.

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
No I don't think there's enough room. I'm just going to chop it off... seems like the consensus is that it's not any louder without it.
I can hear a difference, but it's only slightly louder. Nothing obnoxious.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

The time constraint between now and CM is certainly a thing. No debugging, just a quick sawzall job like swiping a cat :bolt:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I can weld this up for you if you want…

after many exhausts i've found the straight rear exit with a turn down to be the best for wheeling. Just like st agatha's
1712635287882.png

Last edited:

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
I made a very similar cut on the 80 and removed the resonator. Not any louder but I do get a bit of a whistle as a result. Sounds like a turbo and drives me crazy some days.No issues with exhaust in the cab.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
FWIW, Tacomas have a low hanging tail pipe, especially when peeps go to a high clearance bumper where they trim the rear skirts.

4xinno_HCbumper.jpeg

So they do some sort of nip and tuck right at the muffler at the bend over the rear axle. This may be too aggressive for a SUV, not sure how the air flow might work to pull it back into the cabin.

exhaust_trim2_mid.jpeg

exhaust_trim1.jpeg

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
We really like the Magnaflow Overland on our 4th gen. It's got a good noise, but it's not too loud and has way better clearance.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
That's awesome. FWIW that's the same thing I did with my 80 after my exhaust got all mangled on Spring Creek. Resonator delete and a nice, clean tuck behind the tire.