Gutter mount group buy

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Nakman is correct. I have drawn up and prototyped replicas of the bulldog mounts using the old Con-Ferr mount as a sample. I tried to attach a .pdf so that you can look at the design, but my file was too big. If you want me to email it to you, send me a pm.

The brackets are powdercoated a durable gray color, called "Mock-Rock". But I could powdercoat any color the group wants. If you want them Clear Zinc Plated like the sample Con-Ferr was, that can be done but will cost $3 more.

Cost with powdercoating?

$25 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

Cost with clear zinc plating?

$28 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

60 brackets means that 10 people would have to commit to buying 6 brackets(3 per side of the truck) each.

Any interest?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Nakman is correct. I have drawn up and prototyped replicas of the bulldog mounts using the old Con-Ferr mount as a sample. Attached is a .pdf of what the parts look like, if anyone is interested.

The brackets are powdercoated a durable gray color, called "Mock-Rock". But I could powdercoat any color the group wants. If you want them Clear Zinc Plated like the sample Con-Ferr was, that can be done but will cost $3 more.

Cost with powdercoating?

$25 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

Cost with clear zinc plating?

$28 per bracket, minimum order 60 brackets.

60 brackets means that 10 people would have to commit to buying 6 brackets(3 per side of the truck) each.

Any interest?

I'll commit to 6 for future use.... 9 people to go....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok I'm in for a set of 6 then. Counting Acon that's only 7 more folks needed.. who else? Also the cheaper powder coating is fine by me.. these will be the same color as my 40 rims, right?

And fwiw I've seen the prototype and it is very well built and super beefy.. it was just a little tight but I'm sure the bends will be refined in the production version. I can also bring a Con-Ferr to the meeting for comparison.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Group buy

Sorry, but I don't have time to set up the group buy....

I'll take care of that.

Before I place the order, I would like 36 brackets committed and paid. That way I'm not out my own $$$ for 60 brackets.

As a group we need to decide if we want powdercoat or clear zinc plating. The group will get either/or.

From when I place the order it will be a 15 day turn to delivery.

And I'm in for 6.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I like the gray but will do the clear if thats the group preference. Groucho, do you have a Paypal or do you want $ at the meeting?

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Ok I'm in for a set of 6 then. these will be the same color as my 40 rims, right?

And fwiw I've seen the prototype and it is very well built and super beefy.. it was just a little tight but I'm sure the bends will be refined in the production version. I can also bring a Con-Ferr to the meeting for comparison.

The "Mock Rock" color is different from the "silver pearlescence" that your 40 rims are(were). It is much more durable, and fairly attractive. I will bring my 80 to the meeting tomorrow, it has the 4 protos on it, plus it has a sample of what the "mock-rock" looks like.

The brackets are precision fab'd from both 3/16" steel and 10 GA(0.130") steel. Very worth the $$$.

Groucho

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Loaded question.... :eek::rolleyes:
Tee-Hee!:lmao:

So if I have the brackets, I could make my own roof rack?

Matt, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someon could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage. I know someone on mud has figured out that the ATV ramps from Home Depot or Harbor Freight work good for that reason, and another guy used electrical conduit, all for the cage. I am just simplifying the mounting process with the cross member supports, gutter brackets and possible brackets to facilitate 1" tube to be mounted easily to the cross member supports. That way, each joe-blow can build their roof rack to suit their specific needs.

I'll try to have samples at the meeting.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
So if I have the brackets, I could make my own roof rack?

Joe-Blow, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someone could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage. I know someone on mud has figured out that the ATV ramps from Home Depot or Harbor Freight work good for that reason, and another guy used electrical conduit, all for the cage. I am just simplifying the mounting process with the cross member supports, gutter brackets and possible brackets to facilitate 1" tube to be mounted easily to the cross member supports. That way, Matt can build his roof rack to suit his specific needs.

I'll try to have samples at the meeting.

Fixed it for you! :lmao:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Actually I believe our very own and beloved Green Machine here has used the ATV ramps with much success.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
And I am to think this will work with that roof rack then...the african outback rack?

I have the African Outback rack on my 80 that you can look at. I am not sure the Confer type brackets will work but they are similar. The AO rack is one of the nicest I have ever seen and the stock brackets are very thought out. If I had to guess I would say you could make Groucho's brackets work.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt, I am in the process of making cross-member supports for roofracks for just that reason. The idea is that someon could buy brackets and cross member supports and then put what they want for the cage.

I'd be interested in a setup as well then...Need something to mount up my RTT and was in the process of collecting parts for a Thule rack but can easily change direction :D

Do you recommend 6 clamps total (3 per side) or 8 total (4 per side). I've seen both and wonder if 8 wouldn't be better (albeit more expensive) to distribute out the load, especially for RTTs and heavy loads up top. Hmmm...did I just call myself fat? :eek: :lmao:

wesintl

RS Moderator
what are we talking about $ wise? $125-130 for a set of 6?

I could probably be pursuaded to purshase a set.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Total price would be $150 for a set of 6.

Jeff IMO you're fine with 3 per side for your RTT, but of course, MIB. On my 3/4 size Con Ferr I only run 2 per side sometimes, partly due to laziness but really didn't have that much load up there to begin with, so figured it's fine. If I were to really load it down, or when I run the RTT, I'll put the third pair up there. On a full length deal (one that goes over the sunroof) then 4 per side would be bomber, you could do whatever you wanted on the roof. But think of all the racks you see out there with just two sets of Yakima towers & crossbars... these blow those away.

Thanks for the new "groupbuy" thread, Wes! :bowdown: and heck I think we're there..

Acon - 6
Uncle B - 6
Nakman - 6
Groucho - 6

Hulk? - 6
Wes? - 6
Corsair? - 6 or 8?

I bet we can pick up a couple more at the meeting tomorrow.. Groucho let's pull the trigger! Man we should have done this a year ago. Let us know if you want cash, or paypal, or what.. :beer2:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Jeff IMO you're fine with 3 per side for your RTT, but of course, MIB. On my 3/4 size Con Ferr I only run 2 per side sometimes, partly due to laziness but really didn't have that much load up there to begin with, so figured it's fine. If I were to really load it down, or when I run the RTT, I'll put the third pair up there. On a full length deal (one that goes over the sunroof) then 4 per side would be bomber, you could do whatever you wanted on the roof. But think of all the racks you see out there with just two sets of Yakima towers & crossbars... these blow those away.

My full length African Outback rack has three clamps per side and is one stout motha! There is very little flex when I crawl up on it even with the 100+# RTT mounted. I was concerned at first about only 3 clamps per side but it obviously depends on the rigidness of the rack!

LandBruiser

Lifted
You can get them for cheaper. I have a guys # that bought out the company who made the 4" ones.

IIRC I got my 8 for $100.
Then remember seeing someone say they got theirs for 10/piece. I can post a pic of them and get that contact # if you all are interested. A group buy would save alot!

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I won't be able to make it to the meeting tonight, but I'm interested.

Any chance you can post up a picture?

Thanks!