Great Divide Expedition

cbmontgo

Hard Core 4+
First I have to admit that I have not read every post in this thread, so if I missed something or you have this figured out, apologies.

But one of the Rebelles, Thayer Gray, is the president of some local Land Rover club. I mentioned this discussion to her and said that she might be able to find the original route, if you are interested.

She also knows the whereabouts of at least one of the original trucks, which I thought was pretty cool.
Very cool!

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
Just to
Hi all, I'm blown away by the interest and research the group has put together. There are a lot of good ideas here that I think are worth discussing more, but it'd probably be easier in person at the next meeting. Ill work with Dom and Angelo to introduce me to everyone so we can get a good side chat going at the meeting.

For some updates, I've also had good traction on the LR forums and fb pages and was able to get a copy of the exact route they took. I mapped it in gaia and it certainly has some accessibility issues with today's access, or like was said before being normal people and not LR. Tom Collins, the original organiser, did a heck of a good job with this.

I like the idea of a group. That said I'm not much of a manager of people. Cool to see what this post has lead to. At any rate please don't get a group together and do this without me haha.

Q's
- Getting around Rollins, I'm leaning towards Berthoud since I primarily wheel in the front range and have seen a decent bit of that part of the route. Not sure how permanent the barrier on Rollins is but it'd be cool if we could get approval from the forest service for a one time pass if it's not physically impossible.
- Sargents to Cochetopa Pass, the only part of the route that gets vague in Tom's notes. The best I can tell the original route is atv/dirt bike only now . There's certainly a way through but not sure what the best route would be.

A's
@HDavis - that's right they turned east at tincup and went to the Princeton hot springs for some R&R
@DaveInDenver - they did indeed drive up the lifts in Aspen. Your first day is nearly dead on.
@BritKLR - sending you a dm, we should talk more about your group trip and sponsorship points. I have had similar thoughts
@DaveInDenver - They spent an extra day in the San Juan's so they could retrace over black bear. Again your day 8-12 is very very close
@Cruisertrash - yep, a lot of the routes I'm seeing give us a pretty narrow late August early September window
@DaveInDenver - I agree reaching out to forest service, BLM and sheriffs offices is going to be the key to success here. There are a lot of private property and mining claims that could potentially reroute lesser known portions
@Burt88 - I think you nailed it, this was my original intention. It should be fun first and foremost

Thanks again everyone, I've been really impressed by the interest.

Bump

Would love to see something like this happen. But, I'm drafting my 2024 calendar and can see it's going to be a very busy year. Please update this thread if it looks like it will happen! Thanks.