Ghost Town Run 2019

ChewBaca

Rising Sun Member
I will have to sit out this one, We will be out of town for another event. Have Fun!

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Argh! I'm out.

Trail Bum

Rising Sun Member
Please add me to the waiting list. Also, what are the confirmed dates? Is it still in July or did it move to August? Thanks.

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Please add me to the waiting list. Also, what are the confirmed dates? Is it still in July or did it move to August? Thanks.

It will be in July. :thumb:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I just updated the lists on the first post.
Everyone please look it over and let me know if it's correct.

The dates are still as originally planned on July 19th, 20th, and 21st.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I have to drop out.
Family coming into town said weekend. :mad::mad:

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I just updated the lists on the first post.
Everyone please look it over and let me know if it's correct.

The dates are still as originally planned on July 19th, 20th, and 21st.

Correction:I’ll be at Solid Axle Summit, have a blast guys!

Last edited:

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
Please add me to the list and let me know when it gets updated again, so I know if I am going or waiting.

Thank you.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Any thoughts on whether this starts Friday afternoon or Sat., and if I can't get there until Sat. AM, where/how to meet up? Just trying to plan vacation leave, etc. Thank you! - Steve

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Any thoughts on whether this starts Friday afternoon or Sat., and if I can't get there until Sat. AM, where/how to meet up? Just trying to plan vacation leave, etc. Thank you! - Steve

We will start Friday afternoon and will have a Saturday meetup either in Pitkin or between Marshall Pass and Toll Road.

Last edited:

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We've been planning a Thursday night camp and are still up for that. I know good primitive camp spots up on FR250 by Salida, towards Mt. Shavano that would be great Thursday night meet-up spot. Easy to find and cell service. We can cook at camp or breakfast in Salida.

Drove Hayden Pass two weeks ago and it was an easy fun road.

Can you list more of the route / spots so I know what maps to load and pack?

What time Friday are you thinking for main group meet?

What ladies are coming? (asking for Anna)

chillbill

Rising Sun Member
Something came up so I will not be able to go. Hopefully someone can take my spot

dan1554

RS Moderator
Staff member
We're planning on heading out Fri. morning and grabbing lunch in Salida, so may end up having to meet at Fri. night camp if you guys are already on the trail. Any thoughts on where that might be?

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
We're still working on routes. With Hancock, Tincup, Medano and other high country passes still closed due to damage and snow, its been challenging finding a route we like. Most likely we will stay in the Bonanza area, but Travis is still working through it all. Ashley and I were just up there and it was beautiful. We saw the first mountain Irises Iv'e ever seen, and they were in full bloom.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
We're still working on routes. With Hancock, Tincup, Medano and other high country passes still closed due to damage and snow, its been challenging finding a route we like. Most likely we will stay in the Bonanza area, but Travis is still working through it all. Ashley and I were just up there and it was beautiful. We saw the first mountain Irises Iv'e ever seen, and they were in full bloom.

Good deal. At least is my proposed Thursday night camp ok? We plan to leave town as early as we can get away.

Exact spot TBD based on availability but likely here:

38°35'22.8"N 106°10'45.9"W (38.589674, -106.179407)

Huge flat area with a creek. About 20 minutes off the pavement. Easy hi-range dirt, no airing down needed.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I totally switched the dates for this run with the Triple Bypass run on my calender. The Triple Bypass run is being rescheduled or maybe canceled. As a result, I thought the run on the 19-21st wasn't happening. I made plans and don't believe that I can make it. Is there anyone on the back up list that can make it instead of me?

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Alright. Here's the plan.

Thursday night there will be some of us going out and camping not far from Salida.

Thursday Night Camp site.
LAT: 38°35'22.8"N
LONG: 106°10'45.9"W
Or

Anyone who is coming out on Thursday evening can join us here. (Please note, we will not be camping at the old mine site south of Salida as was originally posted.)
I probably won't get there until dinner time.
If we aren’t actually in THIS spot, we will be close by. Either further up the road, or lower down. You’ll be able to see us. And there’s usually cell service here as well

-The main event will kick off Friday. If some folks come out EARLY on friday, you can meet us at the above camp site. Otherwise, we will be meeting at Mears Junction at noon.

Mears Junction;
LAT: 38°26'53.30"N
LONG: 106° 6'24.98"W
or
--------------------------------
From here we will proceed south into Bonanza. We will check out the old Bonanza Mine, possibly the Rawley mine as well, and then go to our camp site west of Bonanza. For those of you who were on GTR 2017, you'l remember this site. We have a couple back up sites relatively close by just in case.

Friday Night Camp Spot Plan A:
LAT: 38°17'52.80"N
LONG: 106°10'26.40"W
or
--------------------------------

-Saturday morning we will get up and eat breakfast. Then make our way out of the Bonanza area via FSR 876 back out to HWY 285. We will go back north to Salida, refuel if needed, and then head north to an area called Aspen Ridge. This area has several old mines and some other interesting things to check out. We will find a nice camp site relatively early so we have time to make dinner. Saturday night will be our traditional Potluck Dinner. So bring something to share.

-Sunday morning we will get up and eat breakfast. Then there is a loop road in the area that Justin scouted out this past weekend. Those who want to, can join us checking that out. If anyone wants to cut out early and head home, they can of course. We are planning on leaving the Salida/Buena Vista area sometime around 1:00-2:00PM.

A couple important points:

Make sure you fill up in Salida or Poncha Springs on friday.
Bring plenty of drinking/cooking water for you and your companions in your rig.
Thursday and Friday nights will be individual meal plans for yourself.
Saturday night is the Traditional Potluck Dinner.
Bring a bottle of your favorite whiskey for campfire relaxing. (No trail drinking, of course.)
It is probably going to rain the whole time. So bring extra clothes, rain gear, tarps, etc. If it's raining in the evenings, we will probably try to make a tarp shanty town for everyone to hangout under and cook, etc.
Make sure to take lots of pictures to share for the trip report!

*Perry is printing up GTR 2019 Posters for this year. I'll work on getting those from him this week. I'm not sure how much they'll be, but I'll check with him and post that up here ASAP.

Let me know if you have any questions.
I'll go through and update the lists on the original post here in just a second.

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I've updated the Lists. We only had two people left on the waiting list, so I just added them all in!
Please check the list in the OP, and confirm that you are IN or OUT.

THANKS!

I'm stoked! Let's do this thing!