• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Ghost Town Run 2019

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Alright! It's time to plan this year's GTR!

July 19th, 20th, and 21st.

Perry has asked me to lead the 2019 GTR in his absence, as he will be in Alaska during that time.
In 2017 the GTR took place in the northern part of the San Luise valley near Saguache and Bonanza. This was a place I had never gotten to explore before, and I would very much like to go back there. So that's what I'm planning on doing. This was a beautiful area filled with lots of old ghost town history.
There are many roads though that area to explore, and I'm inclined to drive around on them and try to get lost while seeing what we find along the way. :D(y)

I'm going to set this run at a maximum of 12 trucks.

As of right now, I think we may do something similar to the 2017 run and start by going over Hayden pass down into the San Luise Valley. Then we'll probably go down to Saguache to refuel and eat lunch. Then we'll start making our way north on forest roads towards Bonanza. Last time we were in this area we had a total blast! And I can't wait to get back out there.
This plan this year will include an extra day (Friday). We normally don't plan this run with a day of wheeling on Friday. But I'd like to stretch it out a little bit this year if we can. However, if it's such that folks aren't going to be able to swing that, then I suppose we can talk about squeezing it down to the normal two days.
Bring your cameras! Prepare for three days in the mountains. And be ready for any kind of weather. Last time we were here we had no shortage of rain.

Let's plan on a potluck dinner on Saturday night like usual. And bring your favorite whiskey!

------------------------
Participant list:
-Travis R.
-Justin M.
-Daine O.
-Kurt Knudsen
-Daniel Kap
-Jason Hanson
-Andy Jordan
-Bill
-Daniel M.
-Steve H.
-Dan1554
-Trail Bum
-Nic
-BerettaMato
-Jeff
------------------------------
Waiting List:

Last edited:

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
I’m going to jump in on this! A little early to fully commit, but want to save the spot!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Bummer. Same weekend as FJ Summit. Is it set in stone?
(EDIT: We chose the GTR!)

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
Add me to the list please. I may have a conflict but will see about working this out.

DanTheMan

Rising Sun Member
I'd like to be added to the list as well. Hopefully no weddings will interfere like last year haha! I don't know if I can commit for Friday but definitely Sat and Sun.

Oh_shift

Rising Sun Member
Put me on the list!

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Please toss me on the list as well! Ryan

Sounds like fun. Pencil me in.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
In please!

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Bummer. Same weekend as FJ Summit. Is it set in stone?
Justin and I talked it over. And we are open to moving this to the first weekend in August. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th of August. But only if you PROMISE you'll be there. :giggle: We'd love to have you along on this.

Is everyone else who has signed on to this run ok with this change?

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
2-3 August is the 200 LCDC. Im already booked for that and have camping reservations so if those are the dates I'm out.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
2-3 August is the 200 LCDC. Im already booked for that and have camping reservations so if those are the dates I'm out.
Alright. Fair enough.

Would everyone be able to do the weekend of July 26th, 27th, and 28th?

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
It won't be possible for it to work with everyone. 100's In The Hills is that weekend so I will be out, but I am okay with that. ;)

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
Alright. Screw it. Im gonna have to stick with the original dates.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I really am okay if you go with the new dates. I only said it because I meant it. I understand there is only so much Summer available every year!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Alright. Screw it. Im gonna have to stick with the original dates.

So many events! So little time!

No idea yet what I'm doing this summer. The Ghost Town Run was a lot of fun last year. Summit is fun but maybe this is the summer of Rising Sun Runs! We have something special here and I have never been motivated by the vehicle-specific events, though I'm glad they exist.

What towns named afer whiskies are planned stops? (Remember Tin Cup 18!)

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
So many events! So little time!

No idea yet what I'm doing this summer. The Ghost Town Run was a lot of fun last year. Summit is fun but maybe this is the summer of Rising Sun Runs! We have something special here and I have never been motivated by the vehicle-specific events, though I'm glad they exist.

What towns named afer whiskies are planned stops? (Remember Tin Cup 18!)

Right on, man. I understand. And we would love to have you along with us again this year.

I'm not sure about whiskey named towns, although, no one would complain if some more Tin Cup showed up. :love:
Let me know. I'll put your name tentatively on the list for now.

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
I really am okay if you go with the new dates. I only said it because I meant it. I understand there is only so much Summer available every year!

Nah, It's all good. Justin and I picked the original dates for a reason. And we're going to stick with them.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Right on, man. I understand. And we would love to have you along with us again this year.
I'm not sure about whiskey named towns, although, no one would complain if some more Tin Cup showed up. :love:
Let me know. I'll put your name tentatively on the list for now.

Yes.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Awesome.

In the South end of Saguache, there looks to be a fine museum worth checking out.

:beer::beer: