FT7800 remote mount quick fix

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Don't want to spend $59 on a remote mount kit for an FT-7800?

I ordered a replacement part RA0539800 "SUB PANEL" from Yaesu directly. This is the panel on the front of the radio itself, that the face plate snaps into.
$1.15. Shipping will be $6-10 or so. :lmao:

(If that bugs you, remove the sub panel from the radio and put plastic shims where the tabs used to be, and reassemble it. That's free.)

This will attach to a Ram Mount .5" ball and arm system suspended from my rearview mirror attachment point. That will be about $27, kinda pricey but they are uber cool and totally configurable.

I will use CAT 5 cable to run down to the radio under the headliner.

Still have to figure out how to suspend the mic and cable without irritating myself or my :Princess:.

On Line manual for the FT-7800:
http://www.radioamateur.eu/schemi/FT7800R_serv.pdf

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Bill: don't use CAT 5 cable.

Go on ebay look up seller W1Jim and buy the Yaesu cables (extension & aux audio extension) for $11. All high quality, 25'- more than enough.

Here it is, ready to buy.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I ordered a replacement part RA0539800 "SUB PANEL" from Yaesu directly. This is the panel on the front of the radio itself, that the face plate snaps into.

I didn't use the sub panel at all. I put some heavy-duty velcro on the back of the faceplate and mounted it to my console for a slimmer fit. I thought it looked better. And if needed, it is still very easy to remove for security purposes.

The sub panel is still in the front of my radio.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the lead on the cable, Matt.

There is NO room on my dash for anything though. The faceplate holder is pretty much required for my uses.

BTW- why not use CAT 5? It was Dave, or Brian (can't remember) that said not to use phone cable, use CAT 5. Or... I am dreaming. Always a possibility.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Don't know if there is any reason to not use Cat 5, but the cord you get from this guy will lay flat under your headliner.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
There is NO room on my dash for anything though. The faceplate holder is pretty much required for my uses.

How about these versions of faceplate holders? Not trying to talk you out of anything...Just throwing out options I've see :)

IMO, I don't plan to leave my faceplate visible very often so I want something that is easily removable although I'll probably go with Matt's velcro idea :thumb:

Vent mount

Dash/Windshield mount

P.S. You are putting your rig under the headliner :confused:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
:lmao:
Yes. *Just* below the headliner. Mounted on a small Ram mount hanging down from the mirror base. The base unit will go under the driver's seat, or perhaps behind a side panel. I have room there too.

The suction cup mount is a possibility (Ram mount makes those too), but I really want something more solid and out of the field of vision, yet visible. Hence, the Ram mount. http://www.gpscity.com/search-a+ball+size

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
BTW- why not use CAT 5? It was Dave, or Brian (can't remember) that said not to use phone cable, use CAT 5. Or... I am dreaming. Always a possibility.
Wasn't me, CAT5, plain old twisted-shield phone, whatever. Seems like it would all work fine to me. I dunno.

Will heat build up be a problem...

...if you bury your base unit under the seat or behind a side panel?

I'm just speculating how much other "stuff" gets shoved under our seats, and behind a panel would pretty much prohibit any air cooling of the radio?

Sounds like good ways to overheat the equipment. But I really don't know squat about this stuff yet. Maybe these are tried and true mount locations?

What is the ideal location?

Cheers!

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Naw, I don't stuff stuff under the driver seat much. And behind a panel in the side is pretty airy. No worries. Besides, I won't be doing much 50W stuff, if ever.