• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

FRS/GMRS channels for Cruise Moab

RDub

I'm unable to test my GM-30 in narrow and wideband modes now (not at home), but Radioddity tells me the GM-30 can operate in narrowband and wideband modes on all channels except 8-14. Those channels are mandated by the FCC to only operate in narrowband mode, thus the GM-30 is locked in narrowband for channels 8-14. I will do a real world test to confirm sometime next week.

RDub

I have a service monitor, too. So if you or anyone wants to throw a radio on it to test such things it can be arranged.
Thanks, Dave. You are near GJ, right? If we were closer I would definitely give that go. Next time I head your way I will give you a shout and maybe we can connect.

bassguyry

Commander + Cruise Moab Chairman
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I’m a little bit confused about frs vs gmrs, and mobile vs handheld, and the ability to send/receive on certain channels.

I won a sweet midland mxt400 at the Christmas party (sorry @damon !!!) and I was hoping to use it at Cruise Moab.

Is this going to work for me or do I need a different radio???
Scott - I've had an MXT400 mounted in my 100 for over a year now. It's a great radio, and since we're in the same hood, I'm happy to help with any installation questions, tips, etc.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
There is already a thread where this is being discussed. Sounds like we are only going to use the upper 50W max freqs.
It has power settings. You almost never would need 50W. I use the MXT275 on 5watt mostly for runs. Ditto for the HAM. I'll use Hi Power when we are on an Outlaw Run spread far apart.