Friday afternoon music

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, that sucks. I saw Mountain in the early 70's. Leslie made that Les Paul look tiny - he was huge. He was singing so f'ing hard that steam came out of his mouth. He was amazing.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Man, that sucks. I saw Mountain in the early 70's. Leslie made that Les Paul look tiny - he was huge. He was singing so f'ing hard that steam came out of his mouth. He was amazing.
Man, Dan, were you three and with your folks? 🤪

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Man, Dan, were you three and with your folks? 🤪
No parents participated. I will tell you that I wasn't old enough to drive yet. My glorious youth was most definitely NOT misspent.

:hill:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Merry rockin Christmas y’all.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Mountains second album.....

Also the term used when harpooned wales “towed” whalers boats about.

kurtnkegger

Rising Sun Member
Merry rockin Christmas y’all.

We went to the Paramount a couple years ago, for a couple years in a row to watch Brian Setzers Christmas show. A fun evening of rockin Christmas music and a little Stray Cat rockabilly riot

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

"Masters of War"
Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Happy New Year all, be safe and go easy on that egg nog. Or not, up to you. But always be nice to your mother.

IMG_1730_mid.jpg

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Looks like an early pressing underneath the record weight? Which record weight?
Happy New Year to you and Kirsten!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Looks like an early pressing underneath the record weight? Which record weight?
Happy New Year to you and Kirsten!
Nah, I have the more recent Sundazed repress.

The weight is a Bren1. I'm not sure if I like it compared to the J. A. Michell or not.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The Sundazed sounds really good, II'll bet. I'm happy with the Michell clamp on the P10. Here's a pic of a mono original pressing:
View attachment 91606
The Sundazed sounds pretty good to my ears.

The weight thing, yeah, I dunno. I usually use a Michell since it does a better job clamping records flat but I think the sound is better (I'd call it tighter) with the extra mass that a hunk of aluminum gives. Also I don't really like pushing and pulling on the bearing with each change, a Pro-Ject isn't going to be mistaken for a SL-1200 in terms of beef.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
The Sundazed sounds pretty good to my ears.

The weight thing, yeah, I dunno. I usually use a Michell since it does a better job clamping records flat but I think the sound is better (I'd call it tighter) with the extra mass that a hunk of aluminum gives. Also I don't really like pushing and pulling on the bearing with each change, a Pro-Ject isn't going to be mistaken for a SL-1200 in terms of beef.
I agree with your bearing observation based on personal experience. Way back when, I had a Sonograph 'table and a SOTA reflex clamp. Didn't take long to scar the bearing up with too much enthusiastic clamping. Much more delicate with the clamp these days.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Recently found this match book. It won't mean much to many people, other than to @Hulk at least.

mississippinightsmatchbook.png

Which got me to thinking about all the good shows I saw there in my relatively short period of all-ages in the late 80s to 1996 when we moved to Denver. So I started watching Youtube videos and one came across that piqued my interest.

To give context, Mike Watt is of course a punk cornerstone. Never got to see the Minutemen in person but did get to see fIREHOSE a few times. So when Watt toured solo in the mid 90s I of course went to see him.

01082102_mid.jpg

The part "with guests" is a bit of an undersell. The song in the video is "Walking the Cow," a Daniel Johnston cover Watt's done a lot (and they recorded it for Flyin' The Flannel) that came from the Metro show in Chicago a couple of weeks after the St. Louis show.

That's right, for $8.25 we got treated to a major helluva surprise. My memory was that the "warm up" bands were Hovercraft and the Foo Fighters played as second bill.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Recently found this match book. It won't mean much to many people, other than to @Hulk at least.

Which got me to thinking about all the good shows I saw there in my relatively short period of all-ages in the late 80s to 1996 when we moved to Denver. So I started watching Youtube videos and one came across that piqued my interest.

To give context, Mike Watt is of course a punk cornerstone. Never got to see the Minutemen in person but did get to see fIREHOSE a few times. So when Watt toured solo in the mid 90s I of course went to see him.

The part "with guests" is a bit of an undersell. The song in the video is "Walking the Cow," a Daniel Johnston cover Watt's done a lot (and they recorded it for Flyin' The Flannel) that came from the Metro show in Chicago a couple of weeks after the St. Louis show.

That's right, for $8.25 we got treated to a major helluva surprise. My memory was that the "warm up" bands were Hovercraft and the Foo Fighters played as second bill.

So cool. I moved to Chicago in 1987, so I spent those years at Lounge Ax, the Cubby Bear, Metro, the Riviera, Aragon Ballroom, Schubas, the Vic, Park West, and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head that have probably closed. Didn't see that much music in St. Louis when I would drive south for the weekend to visit the family. I went to Kennedy's in the Landing several times -- saw the Eyes there once, who eventually changed their name to Pale Divine. They were a pretty good band when I saw them.

Saw some great bands in the basement at Blueberry Hill in U City too. It's all kind of foggy now, but I'm pretty sure I caught the Bottle Rockets there one night.

I always wanted to go see Chuck Berry's monthly show but never made it happen.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
So cool. I moved to Chicago in 1987, so I spent those years at Lounge Ax, the Cubby Bear, Metro, the Riviera, Aragon Ballroom, Schubas, the Vic, Park West, and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head that have probably closed. Didn't see that much music in St. Louis when I would drive south for the weekend to visit the family. I went to Kennedy's in the Landing several times -- saw the Eyes there once, who eventually changed their name to Pale Divine. They were a pretty good band when I saw them.

Saw some great bands in the basement at Blueberry Hill in U City too. It's all kind of foggy now, but I'm pretty sure I caught the Bottle Rockets there one night.

I always wanted to go see Chuck Berry's monthly show but never made it happen.
Ha, yeah, talk about foggy memory. Searching Watt and the Ball-Hog or Tugboat? shows took me back. I dearly miss the 90s music scene.

Down on the Loop I mostly went to Cicero's not Blueberry Hill so much. Cicero's basement was a dive in real sense of the word. The old (original?) basement bar was famous because it was maybe a 6" riser in a 150 year old building's basement. You'd hit your head just walking, forget jumping around. Anyway Alex Chilton was the first person to use it in late 80s. It was only a venue for a few years but launched Uncle Tupelo. That was the first place I'd heard them.

This is the Old 97s playing there. I saw a band called The Delilah's there. Their lead singer was really tall, like Dean tall. He just hung on that beam all night so he wouldn't knock himself out.

CCR05.jpg

Last edited:

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I loved Mississippi Nights!
I saw my very first concert their. It was Danzig!
So many great shows at the venue! Ween, 311, Sonic Youth to name a few.
I miss that place. Was really sad when it closed.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Keeping w/ the Mike Watt.... I love fIREHOSE