• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

For what it's worth

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, we're big on tires :D .
As you say, better is the key, bigger is fine but it's durability and traction that rule the trails.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Well unless you have Goodyear Wranglers with their paper thin sidewalls. Then it's kinda true you need better tires.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Toyota puts some pretty average tires on new vehicles and they almost all have nicknames.

"BFG Rugged Fails"
"Dun-flop AT20"
"GoodTear Wrong-ler"

The Michelin LTXs they put on some Tundras though, that's a pretty sweet tire if you're not bashing them.

mcgaskins

Rising Sun Member
Tires are always the first and most important upgrade you can do to your vehicle - regardless of whether it's a 4x4, sports car, or the family van. All that fancy traction control and performance can't be fully utilized unless the tire is up to the task, and in the case of a 4x4, the right tire means the difference between enjoying trouble free trip after trip or getting good at changing flat tires. Toyota doesn't ship any 4x4 with truly trail worthy tires in my opinion, but if you want to rock the stock tires as long as possible, go for it! Just make sure you have a spare, a patch kit, an air compressor and know how to use them all. The reason you're hearing the advice from lots of people is they've been there, done that, and have the tshirt ;)

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I think that if I had a dollar for every time someone looking at the snorkel on my cruiser asking "whats that" ... I would be able to pay for at least one of my tires :)

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the BFG KO2 all-terrain tires. Great balance of good on the street, good on snow & ice, and good on the trail.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Well, to give Toyota credit, they do put Nitto Grapplers on the TRD 4Runner. Those are probably fine.
I've got a buddy that bought a TRD Pro 4R who said they are terrible in the winter weather - I wasn't sure how accurate that might be but then remembered he has an FJ cruiser with the BFG KO's. He says they are amazing and he compares everything directly against the BFG's now.

I have Falken Wildpeaks (third set on two vehicles) and they are pretty good. It's either discount tire, or the tires themselves but they just don't seem to balance perfectly smooth no matter what they do.

Had some Cooper AT3's that were amazing and I'll be going back to them on the next round (or get the BFGs!).

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I've got a buddy that bought a TRD Pro 4R who said they are terrible in the winter weather - I wasn't sure how accurate that might be but then remembered he has an FJ cruiser with the BFG KO's. He says they are amazing and he compares everything directly against the BFG's now.

I have Falken Wildpeaks (third set on two vehicles) and they are pretty good. It's either discount tire, or the tires themselves but they just don't seem to balance perfectly smooth no matter what they do.

Had some Cooper AT3's that were amazing and I'll be going back to them on the next round (or get the BFGs!).
We had Nittos on the 4Runner we had for a while. I thought they were fine but I dunno, it was only one winter of experience before we had to sell the truck. I've always run BFG ATs on my pickup and they are sucktacular in the winter after about 2 years, even the most recent KO2 with the 3 Peaks. I also went Wildpeaks last time and there's no question they are better in the winter so far. I don't trust the sidewalls as much as I did with BFG, though. I've had some pretty beat up sidewalls on BFGs over the years with only one real failure ever and that was on a road known for testing tires.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

Which Cooper AT3 did you have? I have the XLT and I'm going to do something different on my next set of tires. Thinking Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3.

pmccumber

Hard Core 4+
I think that if I had a dollar for every time someone looking at my new 4Runner says "you need better tires" ... I would soon be able to buy better tires.

They still put those Dunlop tires on them stock? I realize that OEM tires are often really crappy (usually shorter lives) but those were shockingly bad tires. I only got about 20k out of them, which actually is a blessing, and got Michelin LTX M/S on my 2004 4Runner and I got over 100k out that set of 5 and the performance on road, especially on packed snow was stunning. I have a completely anecdotal experience with Dunlop but I will avoid them for a long time.

AlpineAccess

Hard Core 4+
Which Cooper AT3 did you have? I have the XLT and I'm going to do something different on my next set of tires. Thinking Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3.
Man, looking at this receipt makes me realize how much cheaper tires were just a few years ago:

1637023037488.png

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wow those are cheap! And I was wondering if the 4S did better in snow than the xlt-it sounds like you were happy with them.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Yeah, I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my Taco in a load range C. AT3 was one of the few decent tires I can find in a C range (for less rolling mass on the 4-cyl) and I really like them for daily use.
I'm happy to run E range tires on the 100, currently STMaxx, love these tires but there are way more options for the E range these days.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Yeah, I have the Cooper Discoverer AT3 on my Taco in a load range C. AT3 was one of the few decent tires I can find in a C range (for less rolling mass on the 4-cyl) and I really like them for daily use.
I'm happy to run E range tires on the 100, currently STMaxx, love these tires but there are way more options for the E range these days.
Which AT3? The XLT or the 4S or other? I have the XLTs and they have been ok for daily driving, starting to get a little loud now with about 25,000 miles on them.

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I have the AT3 LT or, Discoverer AT3 LT LT265 /75 R16 112R C1 OWL

rocdoc

Wincher
Well, to give Toyota credit, they do put Nitto Grapplers on the TRD 4Runner. Those are probably fine.
Not on my TRD Premium. Came with Bridgestone Duelers. suitable for the mall cruiser that it actually is. But I'm working on it!

rocdoc

Wincher
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the BFG KO2 all-terrain tires. Great balance of good on the street, good on snow & ice, and good on the trail.
This is what I'm looking at. Trying to decide btwn 275 and 265.