• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Fix before Cruise Moab??

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Before I learned the brass drift method, I used to use that (and with pliers like Jim said) and found it sometimes worked and other times was a total PITA if the cone washer/stud/locking hub were really mated. Now I use a brass hammer in my garage, but my trail tools include a brass drift and a regular ball peen.
What Rzeppa said. No muss, no fuss and usually takes one whack. Brass hammers are the bomb that work in so many situations.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I use a brass drift with a sledge hammer. They eventually pop out. Napa has some great brass drifts that will last the rest of your lifetime -- buy two and keep one in your vehicle.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I use a brass drift with a sledge hammer. They eventually pop out. Napa has some great brass drifts that will last the rest of your lifetime -- buy two and keep one in your vehicle.
Harbor Freight used to sell a three pack of different size brass drifts. Cheap and one of the few HF items I trust for serious work.
Charlie’s Second Hand Tools usually has something like this available too.
Use one enough and you create an indentation that keeps the drift centered on the hub stud making it easier to focus on the hammering end so as not to hammer your hand. Also, it’s easy enough to drill a hole a few mm’s deep, similar in size to the stud.