Fishing and Hunting Forum?

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
Has there ever been a Fishing/Hunting forum on the RS website? I mean, we already have a Bike/Motorcycle Forum...... How about something for those of us that hunt and fish too?

A lot of fishing and hunting involves the use of 4x4 roads to access far away spots, what better way to enjoy stories, fishing reports, hunting dogs, show off pictures and swap ideas with other RS members? I'm posting this in our Members Only section just to pitch the idea. I hope it's something that's considered.

I know there are a lot of forums already associated with our site, so if this idea stinks or it's been tried before with no success, than forgive my ignorance.

Something like this....

Here's a few fish I took this year on the fly rod. Both are back swimming in the waters they were caught from. I practice "catch and release" pretty religiously, but I fully support responsible harvest. Both were taken on an RS-2 that I tie in size 20. That's pretty small for you non-fly fishers. Maybe just a hair bigger than one of these letters.

Attachments

• IMGP0860.jpg
    IMGP0860.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMGP0865.jpg
    IMGP0865.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 347

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
that's impressive, Stan, nice fish! :bowdown:

As for the forum I of course adore change, innovation, and improvements. Not sure if this hits all three but I'm willing to see how it goes... if it bombs just merge the threads back to Chat and call it a day. If it's no more popular than ham radio, or photography, so what. :thumb:

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
I thought this would be something a lot of guys were interested in.

"I fished (insert water) and fishing was great. Fish were feeding on (insert bug/lure)"
"We just hunted (insert field) and there were no birds for my dog to even point at"

That type of stuff. All local Colorado knowledge/tips/ideas/spots/resources.

In any case, fall streamer fishing is just about here. My favorite time of year! I'll be fishing the Arkansas very soon and camping around Five Points.. Also, streamer fishing on Spinney Res really gets going too. Anyone?

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Its probably a good idea. I both hunt and fish, but I don't consider myself much of either one, so I probably wouldn't use it much, but I imagine others in here would use it all the time.

However, I'm also a mountain biker, but don't use the bike forum for the same reason, I'm not much of a mountain biker. But that forum gets a ton of use, and I bet this one would to!

Thanks for thinking up new ideas! Cheers!

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+
Did someone say gun?!

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+
OK experts. What is a good quality/value short rod (7.5 or 8 foot) for fishing smaller streams and creeks? Probably 3 weight.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
OK experts. What is a good quality/value short rod (7.5 or 8 foot) for fishing smaller streams and creeks? Probably 3 weight.

I'm a huge fan of the Sage XP series. They don't make them anymore, but you can sometimes find them on craigslist or on Ebay for around $300-$400. I have a 4, 5 and 6wt. Love them all.

For quality and value, it's hard to beat Elkhorn Fly Rods. They make a 7' 6" 4wt in a 5 piece that's very nice. Plus, they're local. (Loveland) Hard to beat for around $250. http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/product/2EF
I don't own one, but I have fished with one for a day. It's well worth the money.

My all time favorite 3wt rod is a 6'6" Diamondback Diamondglass that I bought almost 10 years ago. They stopped making them, but demand was so high, they started back up again. I think I paid $400 for it back then and I wouldn't sell it for double now. It's the smoothest casting rod I've ever held. I haven't cast the newer model, and of course the owners of the original say the new one isn't as smooth, but that's hard to believe. If you can find an original, it's worth the cost.
http://www.cortlandline.com/products/default.asp?id=581

The St Croix Avid is another nice rod that is worth the price. I learned how to cast on a St Criox and it's also hard to beat at around $250.
http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/avid-fly

Not sure how much fly casting you've done, but The St Croix and the Elkhorn will be the 2 easiest rods to cast. The Diamondglass will be a much slower rod that takes some time to get used to.

nattybumppo

Hard Core 4+
Thanks, Stan. That elkhorn sounds really interesting to me. I have been casting off and on for 30 years and I have two rods...an Orvis 4 piece 9' pack rod circa about 1980, and a 9' Sage of similar age, now snapped in half due to it getting caught between the ground and a 10 year old heel. Notice I said "casting". I have yet to learn how to actually catch fish! Thanks for the advice.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
Sage will replace/repair that rod for $50 if you send them the rod. They are FANTASTIC when it comes to customer service.
http://www.sageflyfish.com/about/warranty/
The website makes it sound like they may not replace it, but they will.

I broke my 5wt XP in Montana last year and had it back in my hand in less than 2 weeks.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
That elkhorn sounds really interesting to me. .

The best thing about that rod is it's 5 pieces. It packs down really small, add a small 3wt reel and a box of dry flys and it could almost fit it the glove compartment. It's nice to have a rod for whenever you might pass a small mountain stream jam packed with Greenback Cutts!

If I was in the market for another 3 or 4wt, I'd have a hard time spending $600-700 dollars when I could get one of these for $250.

I think it's time to make this an official forum on the site!:thumb:

RicardoJM

Hard Core 4+

Best value going right now is the Orvis Clearwater line. Priced at right around $200 and guaranteed for 25 years. I've owned 7.5' in both 4 weight and 3 weight. Smaller streams and creeks often mean tight quarters and rock scrambling. It's comforting to know that if I have a mishap with my rod, it will be taken care of. Prior to the Orvis, my small stream rod was a pack rod from Cabelas. It was a nice rod but when it snapped I did get some help from Cabelas (really nice of them as it was beyond the warranty period) with the funds to replace it.

Best quality? You would think a guy that bought a LX470 versus a LC would have a clue - but I really don't know.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'd be down with a fishing forum. Last time I fished was in KY on a farm pond. Needless to say, I have much to learn. Picked up a rod and some spoons the other day and ... well... I know nothing.

simps80

Rising Sun Member
me too!
I picked up my $41 fishing license :eek::eek: so I'm ready to go!

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Kids were catching crayfish last week at Wolford reservoir. Raw chicken leg on a stick and Hot dogs were the preferred bait. Cooked them up in the dutch oven. Potato's, Sausage, onions, garlic, corn, seasoning. Tasty.

Fishy

Hard Core 4+
Kids were catching crayfish last week at Wolford reservoir. Raw chicken leg on a stick and Hot dogs were the preferred bait. Cooked them up in the dutch oven. Potato's, Sausage, onions, garlic, corn, seasoning. Tasty.

Awesome...... we used to catch them by the dozens when I was a kid!

And frogs too. A piece of red felt on a size 22 hook and a long rod to reach way out with, and they would snatch it every time.

I was having the same dilemma, so I went straight down the middle and bought a Sage TXL 7'10" 3 wt a couple of years ago. It has been a really nice rod. I used it over the weekend on Spearfish Creek in South Dakota. It lays out drys nicely. Here is the one pic I took, although I promise I caught a bunch:D

2012-09-15_10-57-10_599.jpg

I have also had very good luck with Sage customer service. I have broken two Sage rods and each time they were very response.

Justin

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
We could do a poll. Or something. Seems like support for yet another forum isn't that strong. But I can be convinced.