FINALLY, 45 owner, diesel owner...

FJBen

It's been a long 2 years since I found this cruiser. Thankfully it was still there for me to pick it up. TJ headed down with me on saturday (i owe him HUGE) to pick up the 45.

She's a 74 HJ45. Picked it up from the original owners, they bought it from Stevinson Toyota in 74. (some sorta overseas dealer swap). It hasn't been licensed since 99. She's extremely solid. Surface rust on floorboards, the fenders has the 40 rust spot, and the bed has the only rot on the floor from a battery box :( just a bit ugly from a few "upgrades" :rolleyes: not limited to Rabbit fur sun visor protectors (my favorite) smoke stack through bed, poop pipe roll bar in bed, over speakers....

I'm really excited to get back to old school...I'm sure I will be bugging away at asking questions again since I have been a :Princess: in the 80 for 8 months...:rolleyes:

The rabbit fur visors are already gone and kept the originals in great shape!...the speaker tray wasn't bolted in thankfully ;) Anyone got dibs on the fur visor protectors?

Attachments

• hj45 (Medium).jpg
    hj45 (Medium).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 220
  • hj452 (Medium).jpg
    hj452 (Medium).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 223
  • visors (Custom).jpg
    visors (Custom).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 232

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
RIGHT ON!! :thumb:

I hope the camo paint is going to go the way of the rabbit fur visors?

Last edited:

wesintl

RS Moderator
Nice Ben, Congrats! Although I think you've known about that thing for 7 years.. ;)

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
nice job. I think you should keep the rabbit fur, gives it an authentic look inside to go with the camo outside. Got a gun rack?

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Wow,

A 45 and a desiel? Unreal... some guys have all the luck. Congrats!

I am constantly visiting a woman in boulder who owns a store and somehow we got talking cruisers and she has a 45 her husband uses to plow their road in the winter.

I hope my dedication pays off like yours now has!

Man, I can't wait to see this build/resto.

Drew

60wag

Rising Sun Member
A baby blue shortbed up Lefthand Canyon?

FJBen

farnhamstj said:
nice job. I think you should keep the rabbit fur, gives it an authentic look inside to go with the camo outside. Got a gun rack?

Actually affirmative on the gun rack :lmao:

I'm product testing tonight....the factory paint underneath looks pretty good. I have heard of a mythical product that removes spraypaint and doesn't damage the original...we'll see what happens...

Needs tires pretty badly...and rims...thinking OEM...and tall skinny 33's...

Oh and of course a turbo...:D

this could be a sloooooow rebuild...although it really doesn't need much...hell is buckroseau had it on mud, it'd be done in 2 weeks! :cool:

FJBen

She's going in the garage today...I'll start tearing down some of the strange-ness...

Bleed the brakes...
Get her powerwashed...
Try to remove grafitti....

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
FJBen said:
She's a 74 HJ45. Picked it up from the original owners, they bought it from Stevinson Toyota in 74. (some sorta overseas dealer swap). It hasn't been licensed since 99. She's extremely solid. Surface rust on floorboards, the fenders has the 40 rust spot, and the bed has the only rot on the floor from a battery box :( just a bit ugly from a few "upgrades" :rolleyes: not limited to Rabbit fur sun visor protectors (my favorite) smoke stack through bed, poop pipe roll bar in bed, over speakers....

I'm really excited to get back to old school...I'm sure I will be bugging away at asking questions again since I have been a :Princess: in the 80 for 8 months...
First off, congratulations Ben! Talk about rare! From my recollection, an HJ45 would be with the H engine rather than the 2H in the HJ47, introduced in 1981. The H was available in the 45 LWB pickup from 1972-1980. Left hand drive, no dash pad; oh-shucks bar over the pocket, funny looking compartment in the middle of the dash. Any idea what country it was manufactured for?

I'm guessing it is 12V, my recollection is that 24V units didn't come into widespread use until 1986.

Whats the production month?

Let me know if you need to know any 45-specific info, my 12/77 1978 CND-spec model is pretty close. Interesting observation I've made: while USA-spec 40 series went to 18 GA sheet metal in mid 1976, FJ45s for the non-USA market continued to be manufactured in 16 GA. Congratulations on coming back to the cool-school!

FJBen

Rzeppa said:
First off, congratulations Ben! Talk about rare! From my recollection, an HJ45 would be with the H engine rather than the 2H in the HJ47, introduced in 1981. The H was available in the 45 LWB pickup from 1972-1980. Left hand drive, no dash pad; oh-shucks bar over the pocket, funny looking compartment in the middle of the dash. Any idea what country it was manufactured for?

I'm guessing it is 12V, my recollection is that 24V units didn't come into widespread use until 1986.

Whats the production month?

Let me know if you need to know any 45-specific info, my 12/77 1978 CND-spec model is pretty close. Interesting observation I've made: while USA-spec 40 series went to 18 GA sheet metal in mid 1976, FJ45s for the non-USA market continued to be manufactured in 16 GA. Congratulations on coming back to the cool-school!

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have some questions for ya. I think this one was manufactored for South America...they kept saying South Africa...but that doesn't seem to add up...

No heater, no power brakes....

Dunno the production date, all I have is the VIN...

HJ45LP is what the vintag says
HJ45-001148

I seriously need some power brakes tho! which booster/MC setup can I use for bolt-on? I'm assuming anything that will work with a late 60's FJ40 single setup???

Nice find Ben. My 45 is from Panama originally, does that make us cousins? The first mod is to cut off 18".

Attachments

• Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 190

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
FJBen said:
Thanks! I'm sure I'll have some questions for ya. I think this one was manufactored for South America...they kept saying South Africa...but that doesn't seem to add up...

No heater, no power brakes....

Dunno the production date, all I have is the VIN...

HJ45LP is what the vintag says
HJ45-001148

I seriously need some power brakes tho! which booster/MC setup can I use for bolt-on? I'm assuming anything that will work with a late 60's FJ40 single setup???
First off, you can't have power brakes without vacuum (or hydraulic pump like P/S). Toyota diesels often mount the vacuum pump as part of the alternator. On my HZJ75 it was a separate unit driven off the timing belt, but that was new-fangled OHC technology! Second, you may have the larger drums like mine, which uses a different M/C, slaves and booster than the earlier models. Does it have a FF rear? If so you will probably have the bigger drums.

All units for South Africa would have been right-hand drive so South America (somewhere) would make sense. Maybe Honduras or Costa Rica? Not Venezuela, they never got any diesels. Is the speedo in miles or km?

FJBen

Thanks Gary! I'm going to keep her stockish for now ;)

I was looking at either an electric option, or getting a used 2H alternator...Seems like my only options at this point.

it doesn't have the FF rear. I think Trucruiser is coming over tonight or this weekend with an OEM 15" wheel off a 40 to see if it clears or not.

Speedometer is in Km....:D

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I may have an extra gauge cluster so you'd have MPH.

FJBen

Got a heater already...I'm kinda diggin' the Kilometers...it will make me think I'm driving faster than I really am...:lmao:

But I may take you up on that!

FJBen

Oh she was rattling the other night...that diesel has been sitting awhile...along with the rig, so I'm not sure how much that affects it or not. I'm really going to work on it tonight or sunday....

get her powerwashed in and out...

oh and I found some braided horsehair thingy as well...lots of fun stuff in her! Been really busy researching turbo's :lmao: pretty simple actually...

And I do have this 77 disc front end with ARB just sitting in front of the rig :eek: although I thought somebody bought it.....what to do what to do :D