Fall Colors Run... open to suggestions.

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Howdy everyone-

Stacy and I have been talking about getting up for a full day of seeing the fall colors. We have plans of a picnic, and senic drives, nothing too hardcore, but a challenge would be a fun side benifit, but not the main reason for going.

So, I have two questions:

Where would you recommend going?

Who would want to tag along?

I am thinking running in a week or two, or will we start to miss out on the colors?

Thanks-

Drew

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I was up at Jenny creek today and the colors are already changing

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
Rezarf said:
Howdy everyone-

Stacy and I have been talking about getting up for a full day of seeing the fall colors. We have plans of a picnic, and senic drives, nothing too hardcore, but a challenge would be a fun side benifit, but not the main reason for going.

I am thinking running in a week or two, or will we start to miss out on the colors?

Thanks-

Drew

Drew, I would be up for something. I'll start looking to what areas would be best. Think i'm going to head to the cabin tonight. Darren's site, has some good info on fall drives... Argentine might be a good one, as there are a lot of aspens lower in the valley. Aspen ridge was another I always wanted to do this time of year..

count me in on any upcoming fall runs!

:thumb: :thumb:
Rezarf said:
Howdy everyone-

Thanks-

Drew

11thcavdrt/doug tebbe/96 tacoma:thumb:

sounds like a good time, please let me know when you plan on going,
i would appreciate it, thxs.!

doug tebbe/96 tacoma,arb rear locker,arb front bumper,4 inch procomp
lift,headrs,gibson exhaust,32 x 11.50 x 15 pro comp mud terrians

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Guys, Matt sounds great if you want to come, anyone can!

What works for everyone, I was thinking in two weekends, maybe an overnight camp out on friday and then some senic trails on Saturday the 30th, would that be too late?

Boreas Pass Road, sounds cool where is that one?

Perry let me know what you think. I would love to get back up towards Aspen where the Ghost town run was. Let me know what you think is best, you know far more than I do about the trails around here.

Drew

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Boreas is over by Breckenridge/South Park, not a hard trail just a dirt road but good Aspens. I agree with Perry Argentine might be fun esp. with the powerline trail on the way down!

Aspen was down by the TBP, not the Ghost Town run Drew :rolleyes: :D Leadville was by the Ghost Town run

Might be up for this one if I have the $$ for fuel

Seldom Seen

Hard Core 4+
We are planning to get out for a overnight next week end. Long range weather forecast looks more favorable than this weekend's (no snow slightly higher temps.) Looks like next weekend colors will be at or slightly past peak. We're thinking. Boreas Pass, Deer Creek, Radical Hill area.

bh4rnnr

Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant
What about Twin Cone peaks? Seem to remember there being a lot of aspens at the start. Dont know about camping other than the Forest Service on across the highway......

The Mrs. & I just got back from a little drive along Boreas Pass Road today. The colors are turning nicely.

the Other Matt

Attachments

• boreas_pass_102_scaled.jpg
    boreas_pass_102_scaled.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 259
just came back from holy cross and went from red cliff over shrine pass.
colors are changing, dont wait to long or you'll miss them.
got pretty cold up at holy cross AND snowed all day on the trail.
colors wont last long

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Barb & I just got back from the Marble/Crested Butte area and the colors are great. Here's one from the marble quarry, better along Crystal Mill Trail (if that's what it's named.)

Last edited:

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Crystal Mill

Note that many trees have already lost their leaves (background)

Great trail too!

Last edited:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like sooner is better. Stacy is out of town this weekend, so we may end up with a mid week run next Tuesday (my day off) if anyone can and wants to come along.

Chris, where were you at? For that matter, what is the best source for finding these trails folks mention to me? I have the Gazateer thing or whatever it is called and the Colorado and Back country trails book. Any other good places to track these mentioned places down on my own?

Thanks!

Drew

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Hey Drew, I'm home in beautiful Aurora :D

Seriously I'll have to look to see what books I've used. More often than not I just go to an area (like Crested Butte last weekend) and see what I find. Not necessarily the best method but it's almost always interesting and fun. This last trip was definitely a great one that we'll revisit. The entry signs were a bit scary - expert drivers/high clearance only/etc but a 40 owner I met towards the beginning told me it was doable. It was.

I'd like to join you on a weekend run sometime, you haven't heard Emily scrape for a while ;)

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Rezarf said:
...what is the best source for finding these trails folks mention to me? I have the Gazateer thing or whatever it is called and the Colorado and Back country trails book. Any other good places to track these mentioned places down on my own?

Even though it's a "Heep" site, this one has pretty good descriptions, pics and maps for a lot of the trails here in CO.

Trail Damage.com

:cheers:

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Drew- I rummaged around and this is one I use quite a bit. Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails. It's good in general though I question many of the ratings they give. Here's a link: http://4x4books.com/co.htm to it and more. :thumb:

mid-week run,next week possibly?

Rezarf said:
Sounds like sooner is better. Stacy is out of town this weekend, so we may end up with a mid week run next Tuesday (my day off) if anyone can and wants to come along.

Chris, where were you at? For that matter, what is the best source for finding these trails folks mention to me? I have the Gazateer thing or whatever it is called and the Colorado and Back country trails book. Any other good places to track these mentioned places down on my own?

Thanks!

Drew

Hi Rezarf:

i would be up for a mid week run next tues,be nice if others could join
us, hard though for alot working people. keep me udpated,thxs!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
11thcavdrt said:
Hi Rezarf:

i would be up for a mid week run next tues,be nice if others could join
us, hard though for alot working people. keep me udpated,thxs!

Tuesday wheeling is a good thang! :thumb: I might be in! :cool: :D

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
I say we go for next Tuesday then the 26th. Matt mentioned going to Bill Moore Lake tomorrow, but no can do. Might be a good place to start though, haven't run it (like I have run much of anything :p: )

I will tentatively say it is a go for Tuesday then. Maybe get rolling in the morning and have a nice lunch somewhere?

Drew