• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

DomOfTheDead's 1996 FZJ80 build

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
@DomOfTheDead hey bro just saying: once an 8# sledge gets moving, it'll "massage" metal right quick!

I think I remember making an 8# hammer some time ago... I'll see what I did with it, LOL

@Yarn Cruiser hey sis: I like big hammers and I cannot lie. I love to encourage others to work them 😁 that ^ same sledge could be handy on your 80.

If you're feeling adventurous, then also blast Peter Gabriel Sledgehammer (<
View: https://youtu.be/OJWJE0x7T4Q
>)

Allen

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
So I found a new cat really cheap on the interweb, that wasn't sold in CO but was already warehoused in CO so it was delivered to my door and by golly, it jumped up and welded itself in place of my old hollowed out one. Weird. :dunno: Now to get it rusty looking.
20230704_115442.jpg

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
We had an issue as we were leaving Argentine pass last weekend, the truck started sputtering similar to lack of fuel with any throttle input. Truck starts and idles fine. Never was below half a tank of fuel and we idled all the way from Georgetown to Lakewood on backroads. Tossed a new fuel pump in and so far issue has been resolved.
20230702_134854.jpg
this was such an easy install

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
get it rusty looking
Hydrogen peroxide and vinegar are an easy way to rust up steel. Trust me, chemistry is a rocket scientist's best friend.

That, or mix up some bentonite mud with red sand from Moab then sling it at the cat. It'll look like rust, give you some street cred at the mall, and helps insulate.

Allen

simps80

Rising Sun Member
Rust converter does the opposite on non rusty metal
No chemist here but it does

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
We had an issue as we were leaving Argentine pass last weekend, the truck started sputtering similar to lack of fuel with any throttle input. Truck starts and idles fine. Never was below half a tank of fuel and we idled all the way from Georgetown to Lakewood on backroads. Tossed a new fuel pump in and so far issue has been resolved.View attachment 117380this was such an easy install
Beats dropping the tank like all that old GM junk, huh? I switched out the fuel pump on an 87 K20 in the parking lot of a Home Depot just to find out it was a bad tank selector switch. :banghead:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Beats dropping the tank like all that old GM junk, huh? I switched out the fuel pump on an 87 K20 in the parking lot of a Home Depot just to find out it was a bad tank selector switch. :banghead:
Absolutely! I was exactly expecting to have to do that and was pleasantly surprised otherwise. Previously having to lower 30 gallons of gas inside a giant potato shaped vessel using a floor jack or cut out part of a floor pan caused some PTSD and left me a distinct memory of those events. It was a nice change of pace to find out about the access panel. Easy to trail swap a pump if needed. At least on an 80, I doubt the taco has an access hatch in the bed:unsure:

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I replaced the electric fan I had previously installed as the first unit died in the water crossings on Argentine pass clean up. Motor and bearings got rusty and seized up.
20230830_162309.jpg
20230831_185400.jpg
with the 35s the truck runs hot on the highway during climbs with periodic downshifting needed to maintain momentum with a watchful eye on engine temps. I hope having fan this restored helps with consistent air flow.

Sad face as it blows ugly numbers again on second emissions test
20230830_163559.jpg
I thought the new cat would clean up numbers but CO is even higher now. I guess I need to go through the EGR system and do some fixin.

I experienced some comedy/drama while retesting emissions , they had to re-attempt the roller test 3 times as the aircare techs couldn't handle the truck with out of balance 33s and rear locker. They had to strap it down after having issues on the first attempt. My previous emissions test at the same location recently required none of this drama. :unsure:

Attachments

• 20230830_162309.jpg
    20230830_162309.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37

MonPetiteShoe

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Ferfuck'ssake!
I feel your pain. We're about to walk through it again here in September.
Sad face as it blows ugly numbers again on second emissions test View attachment 120033I thought the new cat would clean up numbers but CO is even higher now. I guess I need to go through the EGR system and do some fixin.

I experienced some comedy/drama while retesting emissions , they had to re-attempt the roller test 3 times as the aircare techs couldn't handle the truck with out of balance 33s and rear locker. They had to strap it down after having issues on the first attempt. My previous emissions test at the same location recently required none of this drama. :unsure:

I think we should have a "3 strikes and I get a free pass," rule for emissions. Juss sayin'.

KC Masterpiece

Hard Core 4+
Ferfuck'ssake!
I feel your pain. We're about to walk through it again here in September.

I think we should have a "3 strikes and I get a free pass," rule.

If it makes you feel better I have made a few jokes at your (front range folks) expense since we dont have emissions testing up here.

Friday I finally parked the 60 in an underground garage. Started it up on Saturday morning and the building carbon monoxide alarm tripped 30 seconds later and called the fire dept. Now I know why I always feel so happy driving it around.

Karma caught up with me.

J1000

Rising Sun Member
I don't know if it's still the case but they had a policy where if you brought at least $750 in receipts showing you trying to get it to pass emissions they would issue a waiver for 2 more years. Probably not the case anymore but worth looking in to.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I don't know if it's still the case but they had a policy where if you brought at least $750 in receipts showing you trying to get it to pass emissions they would issue a waiver for 2 more years. Probably not the case anymore but worth looking in to.

Emissions Waivers​

Gas and Diesel Waiver Qualifications
Requirements for 1968 and newer gas vehicles:
  • Failed emissions test
  • $715 in emissions related repairs
  • Second failed emission test
Requirements for 1967 and older gas powered vehicles:
  • Failed emissions test
  • $75 in emissions related repairs
  • Second failed emissions test
Reason Waiver Request will be Denied:
  • Visible Smoke
  • Missing or tampered emissions equipment
  • Failing gas cap (evaporative system)
  • Incomplete/Not Ready or Unable to Test results are not considered failed tests.
Detail:
  • Can be granted when all requirements are met.
  • If your vehicle is affixed with a metal license plate, please apply at myDMV.Colorado.gov > Vehicle Services > Apply for an Emissions Waiver
  • If your vehicle is displaying temporary license plates, please call 303-205-5603 to complete the waiver application.
Economic Hardship Waiver - Gasoline Powered Vehicles only
Requirements:
  • One failed emissions test is required
  • No minimum repairs necessary.
  • The vehicle owner must be receiving assistance from an established and approved public assistance program.
  • Applicants are allowed no more than two vehicles titled in their name.
Reason Waiver Request will be denied:
  • Visible Smoke
  • Incomplete/Not Ready or Unable to Test results are not considered failed tests.
Detail:
  • If your vehicle is affixed with a metal license plate, please apply at myDMV.Colorado.gov > Vehicle Services > Apply for an Emissions Waiver
  • If your vehicle is displaying temporary license plates, please call 303-205-5603 to complete the waiver application.

If you need your registration extended please contact your County Motor Vehicle Office

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

Emissions Waivers​

Gas and Diesel Waiver Qualifications
Requirements for 1968 and newer gas vehicles:
  • Failed emissions test
  • $715 in emissions related repairs
  • Second failed emission test
Requirements for 1967 and older gas powered vehicles:
  • Failed emissions test
  • $75 in emissions related repairs
  • Second failed emissions test
Reason Waiver Request will be Denied:
  • Visible Smoke
Detail:
Economic Hardship Waiver - Gasoline Powered Vehicles only
Requirements:
  • One failed emissions test is required
  • No minimum repairs necessary.
  • The vehicle owner must be receiving assistance from an established and approved public assistance program.
  • Applicants are allowed no more than two vehicles titled in their name.
Reason Waiver Request will be denied:
  • Visible Smoke
Detail:

If you need your registration extended please contact your County Motor Vehicle Office
Great! But now I need to spend more money, I only have about $160 dollars worth of effort so far.:ROFLMAO:🤣😭😭
Do tires count? :unsure: 😜

Last edited:

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Have you considered registering in a different state?

I mean it's not your DD right? Will CO mind if you register, for example, in Utah or South Dakota?

I happen to know peeps in both states. Idk if Utah would necessarily be better than CO. For my 🌮 all UT DMV has wanted is to check every two years my VIN, count the number of 🐈🐈🐈🐈, check the engine model label, and connect a sophisticated OBD II computer for a few seconds while the engine is running at a certified shop. Zero dyno 🦖. Zero intake or tailpipe probes. Zero hassle (so far).

From what I've heard South Dakota is even easier. Supposedly all you need to do is something like rent a hotel room for a few days, have a USPS letter delivered under your name at the hotel or a temporary PO box. Then file for registration with SD DMV. Something to that effect, don't quote me on the exact process. I can ask for more info if you'd like.

And. To be clear, obviously definitely verify what CO allows for out of state registration (if that's allowed at all). I wanted to first offer ideas that the law might allow and be less hassle.

Allen