• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Denver engine swap - getting it legal?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
How is the 22R rebuild going? Talk about “ain’t nuthin.” 😜
Part pile level: done(ish)

IMG_3529_mid.jpg

Last edited:

justin4045

Rising Sun Member
Check out my tests on my 2H. Made a world of difference.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Check out my tests on my 2H. Made a world of difference.
Holy smokes. The torque curve pre-turbo is a monster - just a slab of torque no matter where you’re at in the rev range. And then a huge change afterwards with the turbo on, pretty close to double all the way around at 8psi.

That would be a great indicator for me except … I spoke with Raymond at the Department of Health today, he runs the emissions testing program for the state of Colorado, and makes determinations on import vehicles and engine swaps. Here’s what he had to say:

1. You can import a vehicle with its original engine and equipment intact, and get it on the road.

2. You can have a USDM vehicle and do a USDM engine swap so long as it’s an engine newer than the vehicle. There are some swaps you can’t do but it’s rare (a guy tried to put a Caterpillar diesel into a pickup, that got denied), but almost always writhing reason it can be done.

3. You cannot under any circumstances put a non-USDM motor in a USDM vehicle. Doesn’t matter if the US vehicle is identical to one you could import with that motor as original equipment. Doesn’t matter if the engine is newer than the vehicle. Big fat NOPE in the entire state of Colorado, not just the AirCare areas.

So there’s my answer. @Crash gets his way and I rebuild this spare 2F. 😜
…Soon I’ll be looking at imports though. Or an address in another state. Maybe in a year or two.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Holy smokes. The torque curve pre-turbo is a monster - just a slab of torque no matter where you’re at in the rev range. And then a huge change afterwards with the turbo on, pretty close to double all the way around at 8psi.

That would be a great indicator for me except … I spoke with Raymond at the Department of Health today, he runs the emissions testing program for the state of Colorado, and makes determinations on import vehicles and engine swaps. Here’s what he had to say:

1. You can import a vehicle with its original engine and equipment intact, and get it on the road.

2. You can have a USDM vehicle and do a USDM engine swap so long as it’s an engine newer than the vehicle. There are some swaps you can’t do but it’s rare (a guy tried to put a Caterpillar diesel into a pickup, that got denied), but almost always writhing reason it can be done.

3. You cannot under any circumstances put a non-USDM motor in a USDM vehicle. Doesn’t matter if the US vehicle is identical to one you could import with that motor as original equipment. Doesn’t matter if the engine is newer than the vehicle. Big fat NOPE in the entire state of Colorado, not just the AirCare areas.

So there’s my answer. @Crash gets his way and I rebuild this spare 2F. 😜
…Soon I’ll be looking at imports though. Or an address in another state. Maybe in a year or two.
I will follow you on the trail with the 2F. Diesel? Nuh unh. I followed Zepp in some diesel powered Cruiser on Chrystal(?) Mountain way back when for a few miles. Never again.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
I will follow you on the trail with the 2F. Diesel? Nuh unh. I followed Zepp in some diesel powered Cruiser on Chrystal(?) Mountain way back when for a few miles. Never again.
You shouldn’t be following me though, Steve. Never ever.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Also, @Crash, check out Justin’s dyno numbers on the post a few above. Even in non-turbo form that slab of torque would be so much easier to drive than a 2F. And then after the turbo? Even better. Far less maintenance too. And stock in a 60 Series, as the Toyota gods intended.

No love lost for the 2F though. It’s dumb enough for me to know how to work on, and I’m dumb enough not to mess it up.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

Uncle Ben was following me on Slaughterhouse one time before I rebuilt the F in my '71, it was putting out some serious blue smoke. He complained, but I explained that it wanted to be a diesel when it grew up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member

but what mama don't know, won't hurt her.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
but what mama don't know, won't hurt her.
Until it’s time to get plates or make an insurance claim. I’m not really willing to risk loss of the truck for a diesel motor … I’ll just have to import one with the motor already in it.