• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Dead from Grand Junction

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Glad your safe and at home Chris

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Bummer :(

Really a bummer bud. I hope they figure it is something else. If you need anything, let us know. Any idea how it let go, and siezed?

Drew

Chris

Hard Core 4+
It's a bit early for the tranny to go at 250K but that's probably the real reason. Heat kills the A440F and that's probably all it was, heat from running 70-80 for an hour. No indication anything was bad until the smoke was billowing behind us.

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
Glad you finally made it home, Chris. :clap:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
It's a bit early for the tranny to go at 250K but that's probably the real reason. Heat kills the A440F and that's probably all it was, heat from running 70-80 for an hour. No indication anything was bad until the smoke was billowing behind us.

250k was when the front pump in the A440 in my 62 let go too! Hopefully the A343 goes a little further as my 80 is over 200k on the clock now! :rolleyes: Glad your home safe and it sounds like you'll be returning to the western slope soon!

RockRunner

Hard Core 4+
Good to hear you are home and save.

I don't think that tranny was designed to be run at 70-80 for an hour with bigger tires. Did you have a tranny cooler installed? After reading a bunch of articles and checking around the cooler is your best friend for the auto tranny.

Crash

Rising Sun Member
If you ever want to test drive an Extreme A440F equipped FJ62 let me know Chris.

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks folks, nice to be home. No tranny cooler on it though I have always been well aware of its importance. Never had an overheating indication in any way, probably shows the idiot light wasn't working. :eek:

Thanks for the offer Steve but as cool as the Extreme A440F is from all accounts it's time to say goodbye to the automatic. Barb and I discussed it on the way home and it was a short discussion. :thumb:

Sad to be w/o the truck for the next 3 weeks or so but will have it ready for our return trip to Moab in July. Sadder to have to part with the 55 but it has to go if I'm to pay Safari for their work. :(

wesintl

RS Moderator
Chris, so what are you putting in an h55f?

farnhamstj

Hard Core 4+
Sorry to hear you had problems, but glad you got home alright. Good to have met you Chris.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Just a thought for you, a t-case doubler is a good thing at this time as well. It will make the harder wheeling in tough terrain much easier with out burning a clutch. Less stress on some componets of the drive train. Just a thought for you. Sorry to hear about your unexpected loss of a tranny. later Robbie

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Robbie, do you happen to have such a doubler? Until I sell the pig I don't know what my finances are but it sure is worth considering.

Thanks for leading the great Fins & Things run!

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Sorry to hear you had problems, but glad you got home alright. Good to have met you Chris.

Farnham, we actually first met on the Ouray run last year when you broke an axle. Since we remember each other by what we break I suppose I'll be remembered as the guy who blew his tranny after CM08. :eek:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Just a thought for you, a t-case doubler is a good thing at this time as well. It will make the harder wheeling in tough terrain much easier with out burning a clutch. Less stress on some componets of the drive train. Just a thought for you. Sorry to hear about your unexpected loss of a tranny. later Robbie

Reportedly, you can load lower AA gears into the split case that goes behind an H55F.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Robbie, do you happen to have such a doubler? Until I sell the pig I don't know what my finances are but it sure is worth considering.

Thanks for leading the great Fins & Things run!

Rock Box, or Marlin....are the only two choices I know of for that setup.

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Rock Box, or Marlin....are the only two choices I know of for that setup.

According to Advance Adapters web site they still offer lower t-case gears for the split case that goes behind the H55F. Wayne first told me about this when he sold me that HZJ75 with the H55F from the factory. It uses the same split case that USA spec FJ60s had from May 1985 up. A lot of (most?) of the used H55Fs that are on the market in the USA are from Oz and have their split case still attached, and it is wise to go through them at least, or even kit them anyway as a matter of course before install, so may as well drop in the lower gears while in there anyway. And of course the crate H55Fs that you can get through USA dealers don't come with case, so you'd still want to go through it.

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Thanks for the info guys. I haven't looked into the costs involved since I'm still waiting for the definitive word from Hugh that my A440F is indeed toast. Budget constraints will dictate what I do since just the H55F will be expensive in itself. Makes sense to do more while in there but...

The fact that I'm buying a house complicates matters in a big way. Finally going to have a garage to work in but have to sell the 55, kind of kills the excitement of finally having a garage. :(

Dollar for dollar what do you experts suggest would be best?

TIA!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Dollar for dollar what do you experts suggest would be best?

I didn't check the pricing on the AA (Mark's) gears, but they can't be more than a rock box, orion or extra t-case. OTOH, there's alway the NP203 add-on. They're not too expensive and are a fairly common mod on 60s. Anything you add to the back of the tranny will require retubing the driveshafts, and that's certainly not free.

It's very rare to convert a 62 to a manual tranny, and I haven't seen much or heard much from my friends on details. I'm assuming that the t-case that goes behind the A440F is not a bolt up to the H55F. If it is, then another place to look would be to regear the diffs, as far as cost/benefit. Part of the calculus to that decision is what size tires you plan to run.