• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Dead from Grand Junction

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Not that rare anymore and the case bolts right up to the H55F.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I didn't check the pricing on the AA (Mark's) gears, but they can't be more than a rock box, orion or extra t-case. OTOH, there's alway the NP203 add-on. They're not too expensive and are a fairly common mod on 60s. Anything you add to the back of the tranny will require retubing the driveshafts, and that's certainly not free.

It's very rare to convert a 62 to a manual tranny, and I haven't seen much or heard much from my friends on details. I'm assuming that the t-case that goes behind the A440F is not a bolt up to the H55F. If it is, then another place to look would be to regear the diffs, as far as cost/benefit. Part of the calculus to that decision is what size tires you plan to run.

Jeff,
I've been out of that loop for a short time but I believe the 203 reduction box is only a viable option with a GM transmission.

Groucho has done the H55/FJ-62 swap...ask him about details if needed!

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Jeff,
I've been out of that loop for a short time but I believe the 203 reduction box is only a viable option with a GM transmission.

I first saw/heard about the conversion when Mark Whatley did Bruce Miller's 60 with stock t-case in 2000. Since then I have spoken with Jerry Nichols (he's done quite a few) and Mark about it and seen several that others have done the mod. IIRC, there is an adapter plate involved. But supposedly it is among the most economical ways to get lower gears with a stock "late" model cruiser drivetrain.

Like anything you add behind the tranny, it's really not suited for 40s unless they have longer wheelbase and/or serious suspension mods, it's mainly a wagon thing where you have more rear DS length to chop off to make room for the new box.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I did the Mark's gears in the split case in my 1981 FJ40. Changed my transfer case from 2:1 to 3:1 -- it was a good upgrade. IIRC, cost was about $1200. Bought everything from Man-A-Fre.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I've put an H42 in an FJ62. Not technically difficult, but it does take quite a few parts to make it work.

The 203 reduction box will run you about 1k for the adapters. They are made right here in Colorado Springs by Jerry Nichols.

Actually they are made by AA but Jerry holds the control of them!

Chris

Hard Core 4+
Hugh confirmed it is the tranny as expected. Thanks for the suggestions but paying him to do the H55F swap is more than I can really afford as it is.

Looking forward to driving a 5 speed!