• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Cruise Moab 2021 Trail Leader Training - Bill Burke

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Hi gang,

I’ve relinquished my spot for this training. I’ve contacted The next 2 in line to see if they are still interested.

@Outlander40 I think you’re on deck if they are no longer available.

I may stop by on Saturday on my way to moab. I’ll take care of the payment to Bill.

Cheers!

Heritage40

Rising Sun Member
Hi gang,

I’ve relinquished my spot for this training. I’ve contacted The next 2 in line to see if they are still interested.

@Outlander40 I think you’re on deck if they are no longer available.

I may stop by on Saturday on my way to moab. I’ll take care of the payment to Bill.

Cheers!
Sorry Crew... i would love to be a part of this, however I will be out of town that weekend after all. My trip to Hawaii slipped my mind. haha.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
Paid and room booked! Thank you!

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
My apologies!

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
@jps8460 How much of this class is going to be trail vs classroom? I would be trailing up a rig if this is going to be a lot of harder wheeling, but it is also currently my plow vehicle. It's supposed to be snowing a bunch that weekend, so my family will need to be able to clear the roads. Can I run my truck instead, or will I need to bring a rig?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
@jps8460 How much of this class is going to be trail vs classroom? I would be trailing up a rig if this is going to be a lot of harder wheeling, but it is also currently my plow vehicle. It's supposed to be snowing a bunch that weekend, so my family will need to be able to clear the roads. Can I run my truck instead, or will I need to bring a rig?
I'm taking on Jackson's administrative duties for the weekend so I'll field this one.
The weather forecast I just got at weather.gov:
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 51.

In the past we have had Saturday AM in class, PM outside, and all day Sunday outside. Nothing I'd call too hard, but that's subjective. We trained and practiced skills in the Grand Junction Desert open travel area and Bangs Canyon play area. At times we have had snow, rain, mud, or sunny and dry. Typically we like to have only about 10 vehicles when we do the driving parts but with COVID that is relaxed and riding together is optional.
What is your truck?

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks Dan. In general, it is not necessary to drive in this class to get the most out of it. If you’re comfortable riding with someone, I’d just drive whatever gets the best fuel economy.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
They're predicting on and off chances of rain starting Tuesday overnight for us. Nothing that seems significant unfortunately (we really need moisture here) but the clay is sloppy when its wet. As of right now (3/8/21) everything below 6,000 feet is completely dry and powdery dust. Last time I came across anything damp was up in Glade Park a week ago and that was shaded patches of snow at 6,800 feet. Kokopelli yesterday was beach sand from Rabbit Valley to the Cisco put-in. The North Desert and Bangs will both be fine unless it's actually raining on you.

Last edited:

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I'm taking on Jackson's administrative duties for the weekend so I'll field this one.
The weather forecast I just got at weather.gov:
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 51.

In the past we have had Saturday AM in class, PM outside, and all day Sunday outside. Nothing I'd call too hard, but that's subjective. We trained and practiced skills in the Grand Junction Desert open travel area and Bangs Canyon play area. At times we have had snow, rain, mud, or sunny and dry. Typically we like to have only about 10 vehicles when we do the driving parts but with COVID that is relaxed and riding together is optional.
What is your truck?

The weather looks nice up in GJ, but my house is expected to get about 14" of snow over Saturday and Sunday. It would be a pretty much stock Ram 2500, with a winch and LSD rear, though. I've taken it a lot of places and it does great, as long as there aren't a lot of large ledges or big rocks. The long wheelbase makes those things difficult. It's done China Wall, Metberry, and a lot of other easy stuff, but I haven't bothered to push it that hard. I'm not really sure what the class entails driving wise, but both my dad and I are pretty competent drivers, so that isn't too much of an issue unless there are a lot of difficult obstacles that are planned where a modified, SWB rig would be needed.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The weather looks nice up in GJ, but my house is expected to get about 14" of snow over Saturday and Sunday. It would be a pretty much stock Ram 2500, with a winch and LSD rear, though. I've taken it a lot of places and it does great, as long as there aren't a lot of large ledges or big rocks. The long wheelbase makes those things difficult. It's done China Wall, Metberry, and a lot of other easy stuff, but I haven't bothered to push it that hard. I'm not really sure what the class entails driving wise, but both my dad and I are pretty competent drivers, so that isn't too much of an issue unless there are a lot of difficult obstacles that are planned where a modified, SWB rig would be needed.
You'll do great, Fun to have a different rig to work with.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A stock 4WD on decent tires is fine. The only important thing would be to have decent front and rear recovery points. Not so much because you're going to get in over your head but that he might want to use them for demonstration. Bill's not taking you though anything that's intentionally technical and the one spot with ledges has a less difficult bypass.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
You'll do great, Fun to have a different rig to work with.
A stock 4WD on decent tires is fine. The only important thing would be to have decent front and rear recovery points. Not so much because you're going to get in over your head but that he might want to use them for demonstration. Bill's not taking you though anything that's intentionally technical and the one spot with ledges has a less difficult bypass.

That's good to know. Thanks for the answer. I'll toss the snow tires on and call it good. Easier to not have to haul a trailer around anways.