• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Cruise Moab 2021 Trail Leader Training - Bill Burke

Sean Solo

Rising Sun Member
The weather looks nice up in GJ, but my house is expected to get about 14" of snow over Saturday and Sunday. It would be a pretty much stock Ram 2500, with a winch and LSD rear, though. I've taken it a lot of places and it does great, as long as there aren't a lot of large ledges or big rocks. The long wheelbase makes those things difficult. It's done China Wall, Metberry, and a lot of other easy stuff, but I haven't bothered to push it that hard. I'm not really sure what the class entails driving wise, but both my dad and I are pretty competent drivers, so that isn't too much of an issue unless there are a lot of difficult obstacles that are planned where a modified, SWB rig would be needed.
I do not know if Bill will take us to the same area he did in January for the Recovery Class, but if he does, the forum thread " Bill Burke Recovery Skills Class Weekend 2021" has pictures of the terrain we were driving. Pretty open but with tight places to go through if you are so inclined. Some vehicles were dragging tail a bit.

It would be entertaining and a learning experience to see how to recover a Ram 2500. I presume possibly with multiple vehicles because my '98 4Runner is not going to do it alone with a snatch strap, or is it?:sneaky:

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I do not know if Bill will take us to the same area he did in January for the Recovery Class, but if he does, the forum thread " Bill Burke Recovery Skills Class Weekend 2021" has pictures of the terrain we were driving. Pretty open but with tight places to go through if you are so inclined. Some vehicles were dragging tail a bit.

It would be entertaining and a learning experience to see how to recover a Ram 2500. I presume possibly with multiple vehicles because my '98 4Runner is not going to do it alone with a snatch strap, or is it?:sneaky:

Always good to throw Bill a curve ball and keep him fresh! :D

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
During the Feb 2020 class they had an actual recovery they got to do.

img_5721-jpeg.83718

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready

Well, I guess we will see about how to recover one. I'd love to bring my 40 build, but it isn't quite ready yet, and the plow 40 has other duties at this time. So the 2500 it will be. It's a ton of fun with the current tune it has, and the 5.9 puts out ungodly amounts of torque with it, so it does really well, except for the long tail.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
may not be able to make bill burke training.
does anybody know how to contact those on wait list
bob
804-347-3568

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
The forecast is evolving here, too. The NWS is predicting unsettled through Sunday night. Nothing like what you're facing over there but 40% of rain/snow Friday, 60% chance Saturday and slight chance Sunday. Be prepped for mud.

I got out on Bang's and Billings Tuesday afternoon ahead of the front and it was lots of sand and clay-turned-cement. Someone, not sure if it was GMJC or the BLM, ran a mini grader or something through Billings so it's not rutted and pretty smooth now.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
The wether is looking iffy. Plan accordingly with winter gear, rain gear and the like. Prepare your vehicle accordingly maybe add a couple extra water bottles and blankets. Bill will ultimately decide how to handle the weather and class location.

Now get your crap packed and get out of town early :).

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
may not be able to make bill burke training.
does anybody know how to contact those on wait list
bob
804-347-3568
Bob @BC9392 - Sorry to hear. When will you know for sure? Posting here is the first step.

@Pro Designer so long as the road is not closed I'm up for all conditions of driving. #KendaTire #KendaKleverA/T2 #havetirechains #haveneverneededtirechains We will try to leave as early as possible Friday. Its always good if others can convoy with you.

Two years ago we all got stuck overnight Sunday because I-70 was closed by avalanches. :oops:

I'll likely have 146.460 on or Colorado Connection.

Please try to have at least a few people's cell phone numbers. I recognize many but not all of you on the list. Anyone who wants my cell phone PM me.

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
may not be able to make bill burke training

does anybody know how to contact guys on waitlist

BC9392

Rising Sun Member
Bob @BC9392 - Sorry to hear. When will you know for sure? Posting here is the first step.

@Pro Designer so long as the road is not closed I'm up for all conditions of driving. #KendaTire #KendaKleverA/T2 #havetirechains #haveneverneededtirechains We will try to leave as early as possible Friday. Its always good if others can convoy with you.

Two years ago we all got stuck overnight Sunday because I-70 was closed by avalanches. :oops:

I'll likely have 146.460 on or Colorado Connection.

Please try to have at least a few people's cell phone numbers. I recognize many but not all of you on the list. Anyone who wants my cell phone PM me.
confirmed today I can not make it.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
I'm in! But will you mind if I double check a few things and confirm with you tomorrow morning? Alongside 137.50$ paypal.

I setup my tax return appointment for this Saturday and I don't know if I'll be able to reschedule. (I initially actually had it on the 19th, but the pre-run took priority.) Also I'd like to check if the Grand Vista has any vacancies.

Allen

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I'm in! But will you mind if I double check a few things and confirm with you tomorrow morning? Alongside 137.50$ paypal.

I setup my tax return appointment for this Saturday and I don't know if I'll be able to reschedule. (I initially actually had it on the 19th, but the pre-run took priority.) Also I'd like to check if the Grand Vista has any vacancies.

Allen

Sounds good.

allen.wrench

Rising Sun Member
Alrighty I was able to reschedule my appointment, book a room at the Grand Vista, sent $137.50, and double checked a few things at work. I should be set to go!

Any caravan type thing for heading out Friday and coming back Sunday? If possible I'd like to drive with at least another truck considering the weather.

Allen

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Alrighty I was able to reschedule my appointment, book a room at the Grand Vista, sent $137.50, and double checked a few things at work. I should be set to go!

Any caravan type thing for heading out Friday and coming back Sunday? If possible I'd like to drive with at least another truck considering the weather.

Allen

I’ll be leaving Slee about 2:30 ish

Hants

Rising Sun Member
Planning to leave Monument 4-5 this afternoon, or first thing in the morning.

If anyone wants to caravan, PM me. Will be on 146.460 for the trip out.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Cool. If it's a good rally point, then I'll head towards Slee around 2ish to head out together.

Allen
If we can be organized enough, may join you. Anna will drive her GX.