Cruise Moab 2020 and the Coronavirus

AimCOTaco

Cruise Moab Committee
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
My understanding was that Grand county vote came down 3:3 and they may re-vote when a 7th person is available but don't quote me on that.
Another factor could be the county being overridden by the State, Fed, or other responsible authority.

Seems like things are changing quickly now from day to day.

RR4W is saying their vendor show and dinners are cancelled due to this ordinance by Grand County that didn't pass. So maybe they're expecting that it will pass? Gov Herbert just announced that the state is recommending no gatherings of over 100 people. Apparently 99 and you're safe but 101 and it's bad. Although there's like 700 kids at my children's elementary school and they have lunch together in groups of 200, indoors but that's apparently ok. Kind of like how there are no seat belts on buses. My wife is a nurse at a local hospital and has been beyond laughing at all of this for the most part. Especially the hoarding of toilet paper and bottled water. I'll guess these developments put uber stress on you guys organizing the event so hopefully things go ok.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
RR4W is saying their vendor show and dinners are cancelled due to this ordinance by Grand County that didn't pass. So maybe they're expecting that it will pass? Gov Herbert just announced that the state is recommending no gatherings of over 100 people. Apparently 99 and you're safe but 101 and it's bad. Although there's like 700 kids at my children's elementary school and they have lunch together in groups of 200, indoors but that's apparently ok. Kind of like how there are no seat belts on buses. My wife is a nurse at a local hospital and has been beyond laughing at all of this for the most part. Especially the hoarding of toilet paper and bottled water. I'll guess these developments put uber stress on you guys organizing the event so hopefully things go ok.

my wife Megan Is a clinical lab scientist and is also pretty much laughing at it. People have done lost their minds. I’ll echo what Andy said about a revote, heard the same thing.

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet.
From earlier this afternoon, March 12th:
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Gov. Gary Herbert announced Thursday that for at least the next two weeks, mass gatherings of groups in Utah should be limited to no more than 100 healthy people.

The effort, he said, is one of many “proactive” steps to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus.

“Today we stop making decisions based on a hope that things will get better, and start making them based on an assumption that things will get worse.” Herbert said, adding that social distancing to “get ahead of the spread” of disease is based on science.

Nearly all of Utah’s public schools plan to remain in session, but closures are a possibility and those decisions will be made at the local level, said State Superintendent of Public Instruction Sydnee Dickson. She recommended that all districts restrict out-of-state travel.

Utah schools were also asked to stagger start times, recesses and lunch periods for two weeks so large numbers of students are not gathered, and to ramp up hygiene efforts.

“The safety of our students and the adults who serve them is our priority,” Dickson said. “We don’t take the idea of closing schools lightly.”

Districts throughout the state are assessing resources and making changes to schedules, giving teachers time to prepare internet-based instruction materials. Local health departments will be working with schools to determine the need for closure, Dickson said.

The Murray School District, however, sent its students home early on Thursday and closed its 10 schools until further notice after reporting that they “became aware of potential direct contact exposure to COVID-19 within the district. ... Because we are concerned about the health and safety of our students and staff, we are exercising an abundance of caution.”

"The limit of 100 people is for “healthy individuals. If they feel sick, they should not show up” to any gathering, Herbert said, adding that people over 60 or who have compromised immune systems should avoid gatherings of more than 20 people.

This takes effect March 16th and runs for a minimum of two weeks. "Officials will re-evaluate to see if they want to continue, modify or go in a different direction as necessary."

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Bonni and I were going to see a comedian at the Bellco theater and it just got postponed until August

We have a trip to Europe scheduled for April 30th. Right now we can get future credits that have to be used in a year, but waiting to see if the airline cancels so we can get a refund

I am willing to bet for the next month or two that will be the way things go throughout the US

I would be willing to bet that Easter Jeep Safari gets canceled within the next week. The businesses of Moab want it to continue as that is their lively hood, but think the decision will be made in Salt Lake

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
New update has been emailed to all Cruise Moab 2020 registrants. Our Vendor Night and Raffle Dinner have been canceled. The trail runs are still on. Click here to read.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Committee: You are dealing with an unprecedented situation. No one knows how this will all play out. I for one, stand with you no matter what. We are a strong community and we will be stronger for this.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
I just want to say thank you for hard work of the CM committee. I could see how organizing an event of this magnitude is very challenging under normal conditions. I cannot begin to understand the implications of the new parameters that you are all dealing with. I really appreciate seeking balance between keeping the event safe for all participants, but still working to make the event as awesome as conditions will allow.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
What about moving the date?

It's a possibility that we have discussed. Our current path is to hold the event on the original dates. If we must cancel, we may postpone rather than canceling completely.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Instead of canceling the raffle have a board posted somewhere outside with the winning ticket #s on it with what was won and people can check it at there leisure.

This isn't going to happen. Cruise Moab is a great event with a raffle, not an opportunity to buy tickets online and maybe win a prize. Nearly all our raffle prizes are personally delivered to the event by the vendors/sponsors who attend the event, go wheeling with us, and tell stories around the campfire the same as everyone else. The dinner and raffle on Friday night have been canceled, and people who registered will get a full refund for their tickets and food.

You have to remember that the people who run this are volunteers. We have no interest in trying to get 4WD vendors to commit to giving away prizes and ship them to our winners. Why would they want to do this? Why would we want to do this?

We're just hoping we can all go to Moab and run trails together.

Sorry it was just a thought

Figured if the raffle donations had already came in it would save the time to return them and not have to return the raffle ticket $

Nothing would have to be shipped to winners if we are all there.

I know how hard the volunteers work to make this event happen and make it such a great event. That’s why so many of us return.
It was just a thought but I’ll let the committee do their thing and keep my thoughts to myself.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
This isn't going to happen. Cruise Moab is a great event with a raffle, not an opportunity to buy tickets online and maybe win a prize. Nearly all our raffle prizes are personally delivered to the event by the vendors/sponsors who attend the event, go wheeling with us, and tell stories around the campfire the same as everyone else. The dinner and raffle on Friday night have been canceled, and people who registered will get a full refund for their tickets and food.

You have to remember that the people who run this are volunteers. We have no interest in trying to get 4WD vendors to commit to giving away prizes and ship them to our winners. Why would they want to do this? Why would we want to do this?

We're just hoping we can all go to Moab and run trails together.

I think he means a physical board at the event, and raffle winners pick up there stuff at cruise Moab.

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
... I know how hard the volunteers work to make this event happen and make it such a great event. That’s why so many of us return. It was just a thought but I’ll let the committee do their thing and keep my thoughts to myself.

Please don't take Matt's reply as a cut down, it wasn't intended to be. There is absolutely nothing wrong with spitballing ideas here.

And whatever else you do, please don't keep your thoughts to yourself. That's why we made this thread. We want to hear input from CM participants so we can get a feel for where people stand. The situation is pretty stressful for all of us, committee and participants alike. Thanks for thinking outside the box and pitching in with potential solutions! :)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Sorry it was just a thought

Figured if the raffle donations had already came in it would save the time to return them and not have to return the raffle ticket $

Nothing would have to be shipped to winners if we are all there.

I know how hard the volunteers work to make this event happen and make it such a great event. That’s why so many of us return.
It was just a thought but I’ll let the committee do their thing and keep my thoughts to myself.

Sorry if I came off more harshly than intended. As Dan said, we're not sitting on a bunch of donated raffle prizes. I'm perhaps a little overly sensitive to the "I paid my money, send me my stuff" attitude. It's been a long week.

We do appreciate hearing suggestions!

Sorry if I came off more harshly than intended. As Dan said, we're not sitting on a bunch of donated raffle prizes. I'm perhaps a little overly sensitive to the "I paid my money, send me my stuff" attitude. It's been a long week.

We do appreciate hearing suggestions!

No worries. Sorry if I struck a nerve.
I’m not worried about any of the stuff.

I can’t even begin to imagine the stress and anxiety you and the committee are feeling dealing with this and everything else going on in everyones personal life’s.
We will support you in any hard decisions you make.