Cruise Moab 2020 and the Coronavirus

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
UPDATE on 3/17/2020: Cruise Moab in April 2020 has been canceled. Read more here.

Original post:

This thread is for discussion concerning Cruise Moab and the Coronavirus. We just sent out an email blast to all CM2020 participants. We are monitoring the situation. As of now, the event is still happening.

Feel free to discuss the Coronavirus here on this forum, offer suggestions, ask questions, etc. Please note: unless you hear something from me or Jackson @jps8460, anything posted here should be treated as discussion, not a decision. Any official decision will come directly from me or Jackson.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
The folks who attend Cruise Moab are a different breed. We’re less prone to panic. We’re the kind of people who can fix a completely shattered steering system on the trail with hose clamps and a pair of vise grips. Who can create a gravity-fed fuel system with a Gatorade bottle and a chunk of fuel line when a fuel pump craps out. Who can rescue a broken truck in the middle of the night and still be on the trail the next morning.

We’ve had some interesting suggestions for how to combat the Corona virus. Most of them have suggested heavy cleansing with alcohol… mainly bourbon.

The team from Grand County, Utah, who run the Old Spanish Trail Arena, don’t seem prone to panic either. They have asked us to provide a plan for maintaining health and safety at our event. It’s a reasonable request that we will fulfill.

We may rent a few additional hand washing stations. If you’re sick, we’re going to ask you to stay home.

Common sense. That's our plan.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
On the common sense side, can you possibly include a bottle of hand sanitizer in each welcome packet? Group think studies have shown that people will follow the leader if everyone has it & lots of people are seen using it regularly. In a camping situation where regular hand washing can be hard, it could be an added asset. If budgeting is a concern, I'd donate $50 to the cause, and I'm sure others in the club would do so too, in order to get it done.

Next suggestion would be to ask if it is possible for the dinner/raffle to be outside of the big tent? The tent isn't very conducive to social distancing, and if someone did have it & was coughing a lot, it would only help consolidate fluids & the localized region. Both of these are ideas I'm guessing you guys already had, but figured it wouldn't hurt to suggest for thought, just in case.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Based on available information, an outdoor event is the perfect place to be.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
On the common sense side, can you possibly include a bottle of hand sanitizer in each welcome packet? Group think studies have shown that people will follow the leader if everyone has it & lots of people are seen using it regularly. In a camping situation where regular hand washing can be hard, it could be an added asset. If budgeting is a concern, I'd donate $50 to the cause, and I'm sure others in the club would do so too, in order to get it done.

If you can locate a place to obtain 230+ containers of hand sanitizer, we will buy them. Budget is not the primary concern here.

Next suggestion would be to ask if it is possible for the dinner/raffle to be outside of the big tent? The tent isn't very conducive to social distancing, and if someone did have it & was coughing a lot, it would only help consolidate fluids & the localized region. Both of these are ideas I'm guessing you guys already had, but figured it wouldn't hurt to suggest for thought, just in case.

We are using the Old Spanish Trail Arena for the dinner this year. It's much bigger than our biggest tent from past events. It's still indoors, but it's huge and certainly not air tight.

gr8fulabe

Rising Sun Member
not likely to find it today, but Gojo is the maker of Purell, and I'd bet someone has wholesale connections. I'd also bet that in 3 weeks or so, everyone will be back in stock on it, after this panic run on it has been replenished.

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
If you would like i can help produce a Health and Safety Plan (HASP). I have some old templates I used to use when I did some government work. We could get a packet together and hand it out to all participants as well as the people running the venue. Lmk

Last edited:

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
With the media inspired meltdown of common sense the prices of simple things like sanitizer is through the roof! Alcohol based sanitizer that is actually needed for this virus is going to be around $1000 for 250 ish 4oz bottles. You can get the one use towelettes reasonable still but that will leave physical trash where ever used. Maybe Travis has a hook up?

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
A physician in my building mentioned to me that one can produce hand sanitizer with only Aloe Vera and Isopropyl Alcohol (though I have not verified this claim) may be worth looking into...

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Based on available information, an outdoor event is the perfect place to be.

I agree with this 100%. In addition, most days will be smaller groups and people isolated in their own trucks driving.

Maybe Travis has a hook up?

Good call on seeing if he has an industry hookup. @baja1d Any chance of this? Maybe we can get some from the awesome NY prisoners who are making it now! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/09/coronavirus-new-york-state-hand-sanitizer-prison-labor

The sanitizer doesn't necessarily need to be preportioned. If we could get it in bulk, we would be able to subdivide. We would need some bulk for refills anyway. 4oz isn't going far if a family is joining the party.

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I saw today that Grand County is talking about banning indoor events of 150+ people for the next 30 days. I'll guess you guys are already aware of this but just mentioning.

Yeah we're on top of it right now.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Hand sanitizer certainly couldn't hurt, but also won't do a thing to stop an airborne virus. Perhaps a suggestion in the next mass email to BYOHS (bring your own hand sanitizer) would suffice?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Hand sanitizer certainly couldn't hurt, but also won't do a thing to stop an airborne virus. Perhaps a suggestion in the next mass email to BYOHS (bring your own hand sanitizer) would suffice?

Yes, it is transported in droplets that can go directly into your eyes, nose, or mouth, but also those droplets land on durable surfaces and the virus remains live, depending upon the type of surface. Also, an infected person can cough, touch their face, etc and put the virus on their hand and then transfer that to the surface. Then you touch the surface and spread it, to your eye, face, etc. Clean hands matter.

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
This exact ban didn't include the dates of CM either. The dates were just outside of the outer limit. It could have been easily revised to include additional time, but as Romer said, it was voted down.

maxpowerzz

Trail Ready
Glad we're not at Slickrock this year. They never had soap in the bathrooms, I caught a terrible case of swine flu at Cruise Moab during the 2009 outbreak. We had our own soap and sanitizer but I watched so many people not wash their hands--they were probably j**p owners ;) I work at CU and we are closing campus and transitioning all classes online and all travel has been canceled. I have a hotel for CM but may switch to a campground, that's probably a lot cleaner! There's a chance I may not even be able to take off to travel personally. One problem they're seeing in Colorado, which could be similar in Moab, is international visitors are bringing the virus with them to tourist hot spots. Most of our cases are in Aspen so far, I imagine lots of visitors from around the world have been in Moab hotel rooms and restaurants recently, especially for the upcoming Safari.

Last edited: