• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Chinaman Gulch TBD

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Snowy huh? Sliding around on ice on a difficult trail when your are trying to take specific lines wouldn't be fun. I suppose the granite rock obstacles would probably be dry. But, the back side decent could be gnarly with ice on it. I really don't care to have anymore sliding on ice incidents.

I'll be driving through with area Thurs\Friday with Kathy in my Tacoma on a x-country ski trip. So I will check out the beginning of the trail.

Jason is good with 3/27 also so that is the tentative date. More to come this weekend.

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
Bummer. I will be in Utah wheeling.

have fun all! Love this trail!

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
The snow adds excitement, right? I'm planning on having my 40 build running by then, so you will all get to see me freeze my ass off in an open 40.

ddelong6767

Lifted
Our shop is about 4 miles from the trailhead. If you guys want to have a rally point, or general hang-out space we can do a little open-house that afternoon. If you want a trail status update closer to the run just let me know, I can pop over there and check it out a bit.

And regarding the trail - it gets more dug out every year. I ran it a few months ago in my 60 (33's, rear locker, 80-series coils) and it's a stretch to get through some of the tough stuff. A front locker would help a lot but overall it's really close to body damage in quite a few spots since I can't always roll over things. I think I'm done taking the 60 up there, too hard on it.

Last edited:

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
Our shop is about 4 miles from the trailhead. If you guys want to have a rally point, or general hang-out space we can do a little open-house that afternoon. If you want a status update closer to the run just let me know.

And regarding the trail - it gets more dug out every year. I ran it a few months ago in my 60 (33's, rear locker, 80-series coils) and it's a stretch to get through some of the tough stuff. A front locker would help a lot but overall it's really close to body damage in quite a few spots since I can't always roll over things. I think I'm done taking the 60 up there, too hard on it.

That would be cool! I'll probably need a flat, preferably dry area to stick tires on after I get out of the trailer. And probably somewhere to wrench after I inevitably break something.... Break-in runs are fun. :rolleyes:

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Our shop is about 4 miles from the trailhead. If you guys want to have a rally point, or general hang-out space we can do a little open-house that afternoon. If you want a trail status update closer to the run just let me know, I can pop over there and check it out a bit.

Thanks Doug. I might stop by and say hi thru or Friday when I'm driving by. And you description of the trail sounds spot on in terms of what people can expect. With the snows coming in I probably wont want to run it till it dry's out later in April. People with cages, big tires and aren't afraid of body damage can have at it.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

ddelong6767

Lifted
Thanks Doug. I might stop by and say hi thru or Friday when I'm driving by. And you description of the trail sounds spot on in terms of what people can expect. With the snows coming in I probably wont want to run it till it dry's out later in April. People with cages, big tires and aren't afraid of body damage can have at it.

Please do, we're happy to have visitors. We're guaranteed to be there 9-5 and often earlier/later so any time you're cruising through BV you're welcome to drop in.

LandBruiser

Lifted

Thanks for offering up Doug! I didn't want to commit you to anything without asking your schedule first; glad you chimed in. Well Sorted is a great shop if they aren't on anyones radar. Both of my rigs have had work done there.

Thats good feedback, and about par for what I would have guessed. I attempted the trail in over a foot of snow about 10 years ago and turned around mid way into the climb. If you have to use momentum to get up every little ledge or boulder it won't be fun since I'm sure it's more difficult now. I don't want to waste anyones time driving out to Chaffee Co unless we can get some good wheelin' in so stay tuned.

LandBruiser

Lifted
I'm pretty positive it didn't get any snow from the 'blizzard,' but it did look to have a snow band sit on that area early last week and could have gotten some. This storm looks like it could hit the mark and pile up some as well. Might have to see if @ddelong6767 could make a site check late in the week if that's possible?

That said, how many people think they are in for Saturday 3/27?

I was aiming to go do a prerun, but my :poop:box decided otherwise. Winch somehow turned on in the middle of the night and tried to eat itself 2 weeks back. Luckily I didn't have a shackle attached so the damage wasn't catastrophic. Then last weekend it burned up the fusible link and I had no idea. Engine started and fan and aftermarket gauges still worked. I was attempting to do some snow wheelin' and luckily was able to free myself when I discovered my lockers and 4wheel drive weren't working at all. I'm not a fan of the part time 4WD kit for this reason.

ddelong6767

Lifted
I can definitely make a trip over there this week and check things out. Our snowpocalypse total was pretty low and it got warm here late last week so it's mostly melted off. We're due to get a bit more the next few days but it probably will be light on the east side of the valley.

If you guys are still interested I'm happy to scout the trail on Thursday or so, just let me know what you're thinking. The open house offer still stands but we can certainly postpone it if folks decide to come later. Our pallet pile is growing so it's about time for a bonfire. :)

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I won't be able to make it this weekend. Prep work for the 3rd gen for CM.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I'm sorta in the same boat. I'll barely be running by then.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
We’ve extended our spring break - won’t be back in town to make this. Looking forward to the next opportunity.

Danger Noodle

Trail Ready
I will not be able to make it this weekend. Still need to install a few major systems before I am fully running.