Chains!

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
you won't need them if you fit the chains to the tire. I bought some and never used them.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:

I went with the "rubber adjusters". On top of that I went to home depot and bought some heavy duty rubber "bungee" type straps after I got the chains on and determined what length(s) I needed. You can run chains without them but I've seen first hand the carnage chains make if they break or come off. Cheap piece of mind IMO to have the tensioners on especially if you plan to go offroad with them.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You can just use those rubber straps like Corsair said, it's what most truckers use. Some chains come with cam-like adjusters that you just spin and crank those suckers tight. No tensioners required :)

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I've got both the cam locks and tensioners...I know, totally overkill but then you should see the road leading to the hunt camp :eek:

Sadly, since I bought them I've never had a chance to use them...Aging like fine wine in my garage they are :(

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Finally ordered my chains today. The snow was a good reminder. :)

Bonus: the same chains fit 33x12.50-15 and 285/75-16 tires, so I can run the chains on either of my Cruisers.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
Bonus: the same chains fit 33x12.50-15 and 285/75-16 tires, so I can run the chains on either of my Cruisers.

Good deal...I was going to check on whether the chain size was compatible myself but no need now thanks to you! :)

Crash

Rising Sun Member
I've had good luck so far with Tirechain.com and really like these: http://tirechain.com/VBAR.htm I don't like the spring adjusters that I got from them though and will be picking us a set of the rubber adjusters for a try. The springs were too easily bent and flew off. The chains do fit the 33x10.50 perfectly with the built-in cams tightening things up great - the adjusters are just insurance against carnage when a link breaks. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN USING BUNGEES according to my eye surgeon friend! Rubber bungees are a main source of income for him.
:thumb:

Convert said:
I used tirechains.com also and would do so again:thumb:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I ordered the square alloy cross chains. I also purchased the rubber chain adjusters for insurance.

Steve, thanks for posting up about your experience with the spring adjusters -- I'm now glad that I ordered the rubber ones.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Matt,

Once you get them on you may want to consider getting additional heavy duty straps as well for added insurance. Tirechains.com sells them (here). They call them "Extra Heavy Duty Tarp Straps". I just went to Home Depot or the like once I got my chains on and measured the size I needed. I think I bought like 24 of 'em. Planned to use 4-5 per tire and have a few for spares. Not so much for tensioning of the chains as the "cams" should do that but more to sort of hold things together should a link break :eek:

The rubber adjusters are 'ok' but a little flimsy IMO. I bought them as well and after seeing them I went out and bought the heavy duty straps...

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Peerless Tire carries V-bar type chains for ~60/set. You may also want to carry some mild steel stove wire to tie down the 3-4 extra loops of chain after the chains are adjusted - this may or may not work better than using an adjuster.

Some people buy chains that fit their worn-out tires pretty well and then buy new tires and discover they won't fit. You don't want chains that just barely fit a mostly worn tire.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Unless you downsize your new set of tires...:D

can I make chains for my 38's? do I need them once its locked front and rear?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
lfd270ben said:
can I make chains for my 38's? do I need them once its locked front and rear?

You can make them or buy them from tirechain.com or elsewhere...

Tirechain.com sells that size (click here) for sure, just scroll down on the page to see what they carry.

As for needing them...depends on your use...sometimes even being locked just means you have all 4 tires spinning while going no where :). The hunt camp road I drive on can be very bad...So bad that often the only way you can make it in is to wait for the trail to freeze, chain up, and then go in early in the AM before dawn. Of course, I've never been with anyone on the trail that has been locked before or had 38s :D

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Rezarf said:
Am I missing something, when is the Snow and Pizza run?
Checked the staging area and got nothing.

January. Scott Yoder (JadeRunner) usually leads and selects a weekend. We run the Yankee Hill area up by Central City. Then we usually hit Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza and cold refreshing beverages.

FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.

The Snow and Pizza Run is usually one of our largest runs of the year. The whole point is blazing through snow and ice. There's a playground where we all work hard to blast through enormous snow banks. This is not a hard core run, unless you break a birfield and have to change it in the snow.
:D

You'll want to make sure you have places to hook a strap, both front and rear. Buy some "gators" to keep your legs dry in a couple of feet of snow. Bring warm clothes, plenty of water and lunch.

Chains are not necessary; most of the club won't have them.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
I am locked front and rear, 37s, and have chains for all four. I won't go back, chains are awesome!!

Uncle Ben still kicks my ass in the snow though:bawl:

Crash

Rising Sun Member
Hulk said:
January. Scott Yoder (JadeRunner) usually leads and selects a weekend. We run the Yankee Hill area up by Central City. Then we usually hit Beau Jo's in Idaho Springs for pizza and cold refreshing beverages.

FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.
You'll want to make sure you have places to hook a strap, both front and rear. Buy some "gators" to keep your legs dry in a couple of feet of snow. Bring warm clothes, plenty of water and lunch.

Chains are not necessary; most of the club won't have them.

The Snow and Pizza Run is usually one of our largest runs of the year. The whole point is blazing through snow and ice. There's a playground where we all work hard to blast through enormous snow banks. This is not a hard core run, unless you break a birfield and have to change it in the snow.
:D

HAHAHAHAHAHA :rant: But should you break a birf, just be sure to have Cheeseman along with you!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:
:cheers:

Rezarf

Hard Core 4+
Seriously you had me at Pizza run. I have never done any snow wheeling, sounds like another SWEET Rising Sun event :risingsun

See you there

Drew

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
January. <snip> FYI, there is also usually a New Year's Day run, which is not the official club Snow and Pizza Run, but has become something of a tradition as well.

<snip>

It used to be! That was the original concept...first run/celebration of the year. Not quite sure when it became a differant run....probably when it got dubbed as "Scott's" run"! Doesn't really matter as it has always been a biggie and a kick in the butt! :cheers: :thumb:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Already getting jazzed up for it! Got my chains fixed, tried and true! Drew, if you check out the trip reports section, my buddy and I ran up there when it snowed about a month and a half ago and took some pics/video :D

Nevermind I see you already posted up to that trip report...truly a kick in the pants!

I'm never venturing out into the snow without chains again, at least not in the foreseeable future with Brahma.