Chains!

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
So if I want to purchase some chains for my FZJ80 before the Sunday Snow+Pizza Run, where should I get them? I'm running BFG AT 285/78 R16 tires (virtually identical to a 33" tire). Is there a big difference in quality? Pep Boys? CarQuest? Napa?

And... how do ya put 'em on? I'm a complete tire chain noob.

TIA.
:beer::beer::beer:

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
I've got a pair, I think. Should they go on the front or the rear?

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
May want to ask treeroot where he got his, nice oval square link style. It is best on all 4 wheel. but when going up, on front, when goin down on rear. Reasons are you want to chains to do the best for you, so going up you are pulling through stuff and most of the weight is over the pulling axle. When going down, if on front, rear end likes to come around so chains go on rear. Short stuff not a big matter, but long down hills with ice, it is best to have the chains on the rear.
Antother method I have seen reccommened is oposite corners of the truck, one front, one rear. I guess the thought is one will bite to not allow the swaping of either end. And that way if no lockers a wheel will find some traction and pull you forward. Good for a experiment if want to try that method. good luck robbie

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member

JadeRunner

Rising Sun Member
Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,

RUD Chains

I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article a few years ago for my 96 Taco. These are the coolest and easiest to put on chains, especially when you are already stuck. Good German engineering. It was fortunate that my 85 has 31x10.5 tires and these fit again. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder . The price, I think, was reasonable.

Matt

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
JadeRunner said:
Chris,
I'll take that one set of chains if you find them and Matt doesn't want them. My 285 mtr's are 33.1 x 11.5. I can only ever run them on my rear due to clearance issues in the front. I don't need anything nice. Won't plan to use them unless it's absolutly nessessary (ice etc.).

Thanks,

I'll bring them Sunday , for me! I'm going to try and put them on tomorrow in the street. I thought it would be better to figure it out ahead of time. :D

wesintl

RS Moderator
Matt... also check out murdochs on santa fe. THey have, or had a pretty decent selection of chains.

I dunno if i'm going tomorrow. I have alot of stuff to take care of this weekend. I also thought about seeing how far a stock crusier can go and ride from there :D

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Another option for later is to 1) check out I-70 after a snow and pick up tire chains that truckers have thrown/left on the pullouts. I got seven and could have gotten more in one run. 2) check out the state shed in the triangle where Hwy 40 turns off of I-70. Those CDOT guys pick up those broken trucker chains (mainly the cross links) and then I don't know what they do with them. Throw them away? Anyway I'm planning on asking them here pretty soon for a friend of mine, then all you need to get is the crimpers and you can make your own chains for pretty much anything up to a 12.50 tire (maybe wider, not exactly sure)! They have nice cam tighteners too so you don't even need rubber straps, I'll be sporting them on the S/P run for sure! If you have the time to get/make them you sure can't beat it! Basically free! After four hours I came out with four chains plus some spare parts and some tossers out of those seven (two were for double-wides)

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
No chains for me, not for lack of trying.

gcmandrake said:
I bought the RUD chains that Bill Burke describes in this article a few years ago for my 96 Taco. They are available from Bill Burke and Western Retarder .

Western Retarder is now KLAM, and they aren't open on Saturdays.

I went to Murdoch's and they didn't have anything bif enough for a 285/75.

Then I called around. If they were open on Saturday, they didn't have my size chains in stock.:(

C

cxs

The only thing I know about chains is that when I see this on Craigslist I call:

"Tire Chains, 6 sets + repair kit. Fit Toyota Land Cruiser, Jeep Cherokee and Chevy Wagon. Box of Alternators and Alternator Parts for GM, Ford, Chrysler. You Pickup."

Edit: I don't think he had what he thought though, after I take a better look, I may have some to give away.

Last edited:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
I think I'm going to order the chains from tirechain.com. Every year I wait until the week before the snow run to think about this. Not this year!

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hulk said:
I think I'm going to order the chains from tirechain.com. Every year I wait until the week before the snow run to think about this. Not this year!

Matt,

I have the set that Treeroot linked to from tirechain.com. Bought them for my '76 that had 33x12.5 15 BFG ATs on it to be used when going hunting. Like most things I bought for my '76 they never got used...

I'm not looking to sell them but if yours don't arrive in time OR if you'd like to borrow them OR like to trial fit them before ordering them let me know. I have the tensioners etc and could even show you how to put them on if you've never done so.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Anyone evaluate these in comparison to the ones Bill Burke sells?

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:

Never used the ones Burke sells but those look like light duty car/truck chains...More of an around town chain or light duty off road. One concern would be their way of "tensioning" the chains. They look an awful lot like the car tire chains and light duty truck chains that Tire Chain sells (http://tirechain.com/CarChains.htm http://tirechain.com/16INCHTRUCKCHAINS.HTM)

I never had a chance to use my Tire Chain chains but I bought them after a couple times up hunting with relatives outside of Ski Sunlight and seeing the abuse the chains would take. And, I saw why having properly tensioned chains was a must.

Maybe with some additional tensioners/adjusters (http://tirechain.com/TireChainParts.htm) they wouldn't be too bad...

Convert

Hard Core 4+
I used tirechains.com also and would do so again:thumb:

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I bought a set of Bill Burkes chains last year and never used them. Now I have bigger tires and need chains again.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Romer said:
I bought a set of Bill Burkes chains last year and never used them. Now I have bigger tires and need chains again.

Sounds like tire envy :lmao: :beer:

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee