Broken wheel stud..

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, you guys are killing me, yeah I know tire shops always over-torque, that's why I run back there and tell the guy don't bother torquing, I'll do myself. Then again, the last guy that put tires on my truck was LexusBen, so he let me pick whatever torque I wanted, and borrow his wrench! :D

So I'm going to shoot for 90 or so on the 40 and see if that keeps those buggers tight this time, once I swap on the 60 rims I may beef that up to 100.

And FWIW, your 80 is supposed to be 76 ft/pounds, please refer to your FSM for more...

Attachments

• torque.JPG
    torque.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 193

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Ok, you guys are killing me, yeah I know tire shops always over-torque, that's why I run back there and tell the guy don't bother torquing, I'll do myself. Then again, the last guy that put tires on my truck was LexusBen, so he let me pick whatever torque I wanted, and borrow his wrench! :D

So I'm going to shoot for 90 or so on the 40 and see if that keeps those buggers tight this time, once I swap on the 60 rims I may beef that up to 100.

And FWIW, your 80 is supposed to be 76 ft/pounds, please refer to your FSM for more...

My nuts :eek: will remain at 90 and so will all the other lug nuts in my future with the exception of the one tons which will continue to be happy at 110!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Good call Wes! :hill:

Three Wheel Ben

Trail Ready
I've never had one come loose at 76 (the ones that are supposed to be that) as with UB not having one come loose @ 90. Other thing, Make sure the threads are clean. "They" (whoever that is) say never put any kind of lube on lug studs. Usually this ok. I use regular engine oil on mine. DON'T USE ANTISEIZE. For lack of a better tech explanation is makes the threads too slippery and the lug will snap before torque is reached. Ask me how I know - numerous occasions.

Toyotas used to come with a little on them from the factory. 1st service while torquing wheels 1 or 2 would always break. Different torque wrenches. Clean the a/s off of the studs and they would torque every time - no breaky.

I think i remember seeing roger brown do a comparison test in a lab supporting this. It used to be on his web site somewhere.