Broken wheel stud..

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Had a lug snap off last night while re-checking the torque on the 40. Where do I get more of these suckers.. from the dealer? Should I replace all 6? all 36?

wesintl

RS Moderator
i've replace one at a time before. napa has them for cheap.

was this on the wheel that fell of on Romer? If so I'd replace all 6 other wise just 1 unless they are stripped.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Had a lug snap off last night while re-checking the torque on the 40. Where do I get more of these suckers.. from the dealer? Should I replace all 6? all 36?
Is it a rear and does it have rear disks? You can get .25" longer ones from Napa. I agree....replace all 6!

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
I need some too!!

Hey Nakman,

If you get some, can you get me a set of 6?...I need to replace at least one, and now I think all 6 on one wheel.

lemmeno...thanks!

-s

wesintl

RS Moderator
Napa p/n 641-1628 (Balkamp), about a 1/4" longer
than the original ones. They're M12-1.5x44.5mm, $1.99 each.

You can also get DORMAN part #610-265 10 to a box they are M12-1.5x44.8MM

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thank Wes, going to Napa now. Shawn I'll get you some as well, see what they have in stock. Yeah I think this is the wheel that fell off... left rear? appears to be a recurring theme with those rims for some reason..

wesintl

RS Moderator
BTW...Does it still have rear drums? you can knock out the broken stud and then wiggle the new one in. Then suck it on the flange with the lug nut then put the wheel on.. No need to pull the axles in the rear.

60wag

Rising Sun Member
Thank Wes, going to Napa now. Shawn I'll get you some as well, see what they have in stock. Yeah I think this is the wheel that fell off... left rear? appears to be a recurring theme with those rims for some reason..

Are you running chrome rims with aftermarket chrome lugnuts? When I had that combo on my 60, I would regularly find a loose nut. The zinc plated OE nuts work on the hard chrome rim or chrome nuts on a painted/powder coated wheel stay tight.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Cool, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the axle, will try this tonight hopefully.

And yes, chrome on chrome.. they bling it up down there in Englewood.. :lmao: but it's all getting tossed soon, once I get my other set of rims cleaned up & mounted.

CardinalFJ60

Rising Sun Member
Put the 225's back on!!!

I sure hope you're putting the 225's back on. I loved the USPS mail truck look. I bet it pulled great up the hills!!

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Ok, that was pretty easy. swapped all 6, also salvaged most of the "3-part paper gasket" that was in there :hill:

So what's the recommended chrome on chrome torque spec? 75?

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Ok, that was pretty easy. swapped all 6, also salvaged most of the "3-part paper gasket" that was in there :hill:

So what's the recommended chrome on chrome torque spec? 75?
lug studs should always be 90#'s

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Toy lug studs sometimes bust at that spec.
Aftermarket don't.

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
I replaced all 6 lugs on the right rear.

I bought them at carquest and they are meteric to work with the Toyota

I used lots of washers and the lug after getting it started to seat it properly.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
lug studs should always be 90#'s

I hope you don't crank your 80 down to 90, that's way tf tight. (should be more like 70!) I'll give the 40 lugs another twist though, thanks!

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I hope you don't crank your 80 down to 90, that's way tf tight. (should be more like 70!) I'll give the 40 lugs another twist though, thanks!

Absolutely! If you have ever had a tire store put your wheels on they also use 90# torque sticks. Torque spec on most lug nuts has been 85#+/-5# since disk brakes came out!

Edit: Came up with this on a quick search....https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#torque

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
page 688 (A-13) of the 1984 chassis and body FSM (fj60/62) shows:

Wheel Nut
1,400kg-cm
101ft-lb
137N-m

I don't have an Fj80 FSM though

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Well, I know nothing about 80s.
I do know that if I torque my Buell drain plug to the torque as specified, I will be doing a heli-coil in short order. Seen a bunch of Toy lug studs twisted right off too, at 90ft.lbs. But I claim relative ignorance on cruisers, YMMV.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Well, I know nothing about 80s.
I do know that if I torque my Buell drain plug to the torque as specified, I will be doing a heli-coil in short order. Seen a bunch of Toy lug studs twisted right off too, at 90ft.lbs. But I claim relative ignorance on cruisers, YMMV.
Hmmmm interesting! I don't remember ever questioning why my lugs stay tight. 90#'s is NOT excessive! You can still remove them easily with a lug wrench and get this....they don't loosen! Quite the concept this torque thing is! If you tighten any lug 80-90ftlbs you will be right on in spec!

wesintl

RS Moderator
I just tighten my shit down toyota tight... no torque wrench involved.:lmao: