Broken rear pinion

subzali

Hard Core 4+
First trail breakage. Now I'm wondering what I need to do. I have a coarse spline pinion on my 4:11 setup currently. Thinking about options:

1. Get a new ring and pinion (and bearing? other stuff?) and put it in my current 3rd member, but I think that requires expertise in setting up gears right?

2. Get a whole coarse spline 4:11 3rd member and stick it in.

3. Get a fine spline (late 4:11 model FJ40 or FJ62) pinion and ring set and put it in my current 3rd member.

4. Get a fine spline 3rd member and stick it in.

Not knowing anything yet about full-floating rear axles, but thinking that sometime down the line I would like to go that route with Toyota cable lockers, does anybody know off-hand if there are any compatibility issues with those components and a 3rd member that they would be installed in? I cannot come up with any reason why there would be issues, but...

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
First trail breakage. Now I'm wondering what I need to do. I have a coarse spline pinion on my 4:11 setup currently. Thinking about options:

1. Get a new ring and pinion (and bearing? other stuff?) and put it in my current 3rd member, but I think that requires expertise in setting up gears right?

3. Get a fine spline (late 4:11 model FJ40 or FJ62) pinion and ring set and put it in my current 3rd member.

Not knowing anything yet about full-floating rear axles, but thinking that sometime down the line I would like to go that route with Toyota cable lockers, does anybody know off-hand if there are any compatibility issues with those components and a 3rd member that they would be installed in? I cannot come up with any reason why there would be issues, but...

Aftermarket gears will be your cheapest option plus they will be fine spline! Of course that would mean you need to decide how big of tires your gonna run then you can get the gear ratio you need but that also means x2! Decisions, decisions.....

Another thought....Treeroot will be swapping out gears soon and I think he running 4:11 fine splines.....

wesintl

RS Moderator
Fastest and easiest would be to drop in some course spline 4.11 chunks. Doesn't ige have like have a dozen?

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
The fj60 has 3:73s and there are two? spares of 4:11s under the workbench. The 4:11s will be coming out of the 40 as soon as I get around to wrenching again...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm thinking I will want to go with the fine spline 4:11, Mike do you know what flavor the ones on the workbench are? And in your 40 are they the fines?

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
If you go fine spline, you'll need to either change out the pinion flange or swap to a stub shaft from a fines spline driveline.

i have a (few) 4.11 course diff if you need one.

treerootCO

Rising Sun Member
Fine spline was 12/78 FJ40 only and I think the FJ62 had some. Everything in the garage is coarse spline

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Fine spline was 12/78 FJ40 only and I think the FJ62 had some. Everything in the garage is coarse spline

Some late production 77's had it also. All 62's are fine spline 4:11's! 80 rears are also fine spline 4:11's and will fit but are designed to be full floating so a c-clip relief must be machined on the side gears or of course do the full float thang. Early FJ-80's with semi float rears are direct swap.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+

Some late production 77's had it also. All 62's are fine spline 4:11's! 80 rears are also fine spline 4:11's and will fit but are designed to be full floating so a c-clip relief must be machined on the side gears or of course do the full float thang. Early FJ-80's with semi float rears are direct swap. All round fine spline flanges can be redrilled for your flange pattern as the centering ring is the same on all Toyota flanges.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I've also kept the gears that came out of my 80.. they will be a lot like the gears that Treeroot takes out of his 80. Matt you can have them if you want to go that route. Yes it requires some skill to set up gears, but it's nothing a lot of folks in the club can't handle.

But why rebuild your axle, why not just swap the whole thing? Would you be happier if you had a set of 60 axles under there instead? Like here's a set.. comes with a backup 2F & 4 speed. http://denver.craigslist.org/car/489700117.html

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
I've also kept the gears that came out of my 80.. they will be a lot like the gears that Treeroot takes out of his 80. Matt you can have them if you want to go that route. Yes it requires some skill to set up gears, but it's nothing a lot of folks in the club can't handle.

But why rebuild your axle, why not just swap the whole thing? Would you be happier if you had a set of 60 axles under there instead? Like here's a set.. comes with a backup 2F & 4 speed. http://denver.craigslist.org/car/489700117.html

Great swap but has two issues.....FJ-60's have 3:70's and front springs need to be outboarded.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
and I don't want the width and I think I'm going to go full-floater in the future...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
meh.

It's an 80. :D

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member

No question, #2 will be by far the quickest, easiest and cheapest. I've picked up coarse spline 3rds for anywhere from $50 to free. You can put any full size cruiser 3rd member into a FF, just leave out the c-clips :)

FYI, having owned both the newer and the earlier FF rears, I like the earlier ones much better.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
You mean the one on your FJ45 vs. the one on the HZJ75?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
You mean the one on your FJ45 vs. the one on the HZJ75?
Correct. Was into the HZJ75 WAY too often, but recently did a routine service on the 1978 FJ45 and found the design much easier to work on. The HZJ had a very similar FF hub/spindle design as a USA spec FZJ80, but had FJ60-style drum brakes. I like the earlier seal design much better, and I liked that I could use a regular hub socket on the hex adjuster/ and locking nut instead of the newer 80 style design.

A major flaw in both designs (which is also present in the cruiser front FF hub design, which almost never sees as much torque) is the way two little the dowel pins see almost all the torque. Once they snap off, they "waller" the holes they press in to and the hub is never as strong. There are three fixes for this, but of course none are stock.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Wanted to give a public thanks to Ige for helping me get the most major part I need to get back on the road! Thank you! I'm just going to go with a coarse spline 4:11 for now, it's been good to me so far and I'll keep future wheeling under control, gotta get new oil seals for the front end, rear end, rebuild/replace a couple rear wheel cylinders, pull the t-case and inspect/likely replace the front output bearing (I get scary noises when I come off the throttle in 4hi @ 45 mph or so), and inspect the other gears for when I ran out of oil. Put in new drain plugs in the diffs, t-case and tranny, reinstall the Lockright and (hopefully) get some new rear springs and new shackles all around. Whew!

Thanks again everybody! :risingsun

Last edited:

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
Matt, I just did rear brakes on my 40 and CDan on MUD was able to get me all four OEM wheel cylinders and new shoes for around $250. Sure beat rebuilding those wheel cylinders. Let me know if you need a hand setting up those brakes.

The 2.5" Old Man Emu Springs Kevin has would work nicely on your rig too.