Best tire groover?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
@Uncle Ben had a really good writeup with pictures when he grooved his swampers some years ago. I don't know if he monitors our forum much any more, maybe contact him direct? This was WAY before MUD, maybe it was in Toyota Trails? LCML days for sure.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
I use a 120v model I have had for years and love it. Just recently, I cut my Cooper STT pro's and it brought new life to them

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
I've used one like this (https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-902-00...mzn1.fos.304cacc1-b508-45fb-a37f-a2c47c48c32f) on two sets of Pitbulls, and it's worked well.

20151226_151639.jpg

Mark

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member
I use a 120v model I have had for years and love it. Just recently, I cut my Cooper STT pro's and it brought new life to them
That right there is a good idea for a event demo or workshop. Would love to see this work in person.

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
That right there is a good idea for a event demo or workshop. Would love to see this work in person.
Cool idea. I will look into setting this up

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
were you able to make full depth cuts in one pass? And how long per tire if you recall.
I could across each lug, though my cuts weren't quite full depth. Probably something like 1/4 - 5/16" deep. I'm thinking each tire took 30-45 minutes, but that's a little fuzzy.

Heat is your friend when using one of these. Start with a fresh blade, let it get hot, and work on the tires indoors and in as warm a state as you can reasonably get them.

Mark

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
my detached garage without heat then should be perfect this month. :banghead:
LOL! You could do it, but I think it would take longer and require a little more muscle. Try one, though, as I could be wrong. I've always done them in the spring, on a warmish day.

Mark

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
@Corbet, you inspired me to work on my Pitbulls some more, since tons and stickies are losing out to all the other things that need money around here. I deepened the existing grooves, and grooved every lug I had just siped before.

View attachment 20240104_184407.jpg

I'm not a weight weenie, at all, when it comes to tires, but this effort did put them on a diet:

View attachment 20240104_183751.jpg

I was doing it in my 50* shop. I could have gotten it warmer, but was having to work hard enough that I didn't want the heater on. You'll figure this out, but a respirator is your friend, as is ventilation. No pun intended, but you're literally burning rubber, and only a few inches from your face.

Mark

Last edited: