• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Official Club Run Argentine Pass run, June 24

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
Curious, if the trail already goes up the river, why does a new path of nature matter to usfs? When I drove up it last year, it felt like the bypass was just that, one that went around a natural dam so to speak.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Curious, if the trail already goes up the river, why does a new path of nature matter to usfs? When I drove up it last year, it felt like the bypass was just that, one that went around a natural dam so to speak.

The work around is severely widening the trail. And continued erosion (natural/not natural) will eventually nuke the current bypass perpetuating the problem. The main point is that anti-motorized groups will eventually start building a case based on the added erosion. Unfortunately, they are more organized and better funded than us, so they inevitably get what they want. It’s not so much USFS, but anti-motorized groups. If we can nip things like this in the bud, we have a better chance of keeping historic (Waldorf wagon road) and awesome trails like this open for future use. We also show a good faith effort to try and keep relationships in check with anti-motorized groups.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
I'd think the problem is at some point you're not crossing streams but driving in them or it becomes a wetlands. There's a handbook on road construction and maintenance, but from memory routes are supposed to only cross at right angles and there's supposed to be a 50 or 100 foot buffer to prevent erosion. With existing routes the guideline may not apply but if something changes then current guidelines might have to be applied to repairs or rerouting and if the topology doesn't allow improvement then there's howls for closure.

It looks to me like there's an old name of Historical Waldorf Wagon Road given to 248.1B, which is interesting since the layer I got directly from the USFS MVUM database. Of course that doesn't mean anything, ergo the Boulder Wagon Road.

waldorf_wagon_road.png

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
Thank you Travis for pointing this out and for your point of view, and all others as well. I will forward the pictures and concern to Patrick, our contact Ranger at CCRD and express our concerns, and see what his input is. I agree that getting ahead of this and voicing our concerns will reflect well on us, but more importantly, will perhaps actually be able to make a difference. As far as what can be done? It's a tight, rough trail so getting equipment and trucks in there would be a logistic challenge, even if the FS approved it and could afford it. I welcome anyone who feels the energy to push on this after we hear back from the FS, as I am overwhelmed these days. I will do my best, though I'm limited.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's about anticipating. There might not be an option to fix this but getting geotech engineer's input and looking into possible grants (historic district, Georgetown, maybe the county?) that could help.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
I had a blast getting up there again in the 40 - it's been a while. Thanks Tim and Mike and everyone else that helped with organization and execution. Good to meet some new folks on Friday night as well. Perfect night for camping.

mikedrom

Rising Sun Member
I had a blast getting up there again in the 40 - it's been a while. Thanks Tim and Mike and everyone else that helped with organization and execution. Good to meet some new folks on Friday night as well. Perfect night for camping.
Perfect night it was! Although I had a chuckle when I woke up to some heavy winds and saw this:
IMG_0352.jpeg

I gotta say my tent looked about the same! It was a windy one!

SaintAgatha

Rising Sun Member
It's a tight, rough trail so getting equipment and trucks in there would be a logistic challenge, even if the FS approved it and could afford it.
Can't believe he didn't say it himself but @DanS is *very* willing to lend his dump truck to this effort...

SteveT

Rising Sun Member
Saw this recovery video on YouTube today, thought you might be interested in the trail condition at this point in time. Start at 6:00

View: https://youtu.be/aWomNujUyD4