• ColoYota Expo: swap meet + show and shine. Saturday, May 11 from 10 am - 2 pm
    Get Details & Register Now!
    . Only $5 to attend (no additional charge to participate in the swap meet).

Hey Guest, we need volunteers to help run the event. Please sign up here.

Official Club Run Argentine Pass run, June 24

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Beautiful day, and great turnout! Thank you to everyone who made it out, and I hope you all had a great day. I think we had about 35 people total, and roughly 24 trucks.. was tough to count though as we weren't all ever in the same place. @DomOfTheDead we can sync up on trail hours...

I think we had 7 trucks total for Friday night's camping.. got kinda windy, but a fun night nonetheless for those to made it out early. Bonus was getting to camp involved a nice water crossing. Saturday morning started with the usual gathering, quite a few arrived late due to some traffic issues on I-70... but such is life now and there was plenty of patience to go around, this also allowed us to stage a couple different waves of trucks to help mitigate trail congestion.

IMG_9163.jpg

USFS Ranger Patrick led the usual intro meeting, and new guy Chris led a safety/risk assessment talk per usual when working with the Forest Service. These guys are so delighted with our club, love working with us on these days and pledged to have some fun new projects for us in the future.. they didn't run with us this year as they had some more pressing matters to attend to, plus they know we know what we're doing. More parking lot photos...
IMG_9164.jpg

IMG_9165.jpg

As usual everyone ran about every part of the area that was open, most doing the lower Leavenworth Creek road, others going up the main road, most coming down the main road. The actual trail work included cleaning up any vacant campsites, removing any duplicate fire rings, and clearing any downed trees in the road. More details on that will follow, as I actually didn't even run the trail....

This year I did something totally different, something I've been wanting to do for a few years now. I parked down at the bottom of the trail and set up to do a little greeter program, inspired by a similar effort a few of us did up in Lefthand Canyon like 20+ years ago... I parked at that first Y in the road, after you make it up from Guanella Pass.
IMG_9166.jpg

IMG_9167.jpg

I was able to get a stack of MVUM's from the Rangers (motor vehicle use map) and so I set up a chair and just hung out, and smiled and waved to any rigs that rolled by. When they stopped I'd tell them hi, and ask if they knew where they were going, and have you been here before. Once the ice was broken, I'd them tell them who I was, explain our club adopts this road and today is our annual cleanup run. I must say it was pretty rewarding- everyone I spoke with was super cool (yes some just buzzed by...) and 2 of the folks were actually not sure where they were going at all. So they were pretty happy to have someone there handing them a map, telling them where to turn, where they can turn around, etc.

View recent photos.jpg

I would totally do that again. Maybe next time I can get someone else to hang with me, possibly tag team it, or just play guitars, etc. If nothing else, doing this really sent a message to folks that this area is cared for & paid attention to, which I think raises everyone's game just a little bit. It felt like we made a really positive impact yesterday.

Last comment for all members- I took a first pass at the All Access spreadsheet but I'm sure I missed a few of you, so please take a look at this thread if you'd like to be included in that program: https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/threads/2023-all-access-members.34582/

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
@nakman what time did you leave your greeter post to head back to town? Asking for the Jeep Liberty I passed not far from the entrance that was asking where to go and if they could get to Waldorf…

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
@nakman what time did you leave your greeter post to head back to town? Asking for the Jeep Liberty I passed not far from the entrance that was asking where to go and if they could get to Waldorf…
maybe 11:30? I don't recall seeing a Jeep Liberty

Yarn Cruiser

Rising Sun Member
We had a great time, thank you to @nakman for setting this up. Camping Friday night was nice:camping:, the spot required a big water crossing with warm temps and clear skies. The wind picked up once the sun came up early Saturday morning and broke our tent😂.

@DomOfTheDead and I met up with the lower route group as they rolled onto trail. Not much clean up was needed as empty campsites that we saw were in good shape but there was quite a few occupied campsites throughout the lower trail.

As always, it was great to see all our friends that came out and to the new friends we made!

Greg in his awesome 70 firetruck had a hard time at this spot. He gave it some good tries but ultimately needed to be winched. @jps8460 took the recovery lead and got Greg through it safely. View attachment DSC_0002.JPGView attachment DSC_0039.JPGView attachment DSC_0109.JPGView attachment DSC_0129.JPGView attachment DSC_0130.JPGView attachment DSC_0134.JPGView attachment DSC_0142.JPGView attachment DSC_0151.JPGView attachment DSC_0154.JPGView attachment DSC_0167.JPGView attachment DSC_0187.JPGView attachment DSC_0190.JPGView attachment DSC_0205.JPG

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
What a fun day! Thanks Tim and Mike for making that happen.

Awesome pics Brandi!!

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Great run yesterday. Huge turn out with lots of old and new friends. The weather was almost prefect. My family had a blast leading the upper group. The trail was actually super clean and in very good condition from what I saw. We literally found a total of 5 pieces of trash on the upper trail. :)

The only things I saw that may need attention are:

1) The RS Adopt a Trail signs are looking pretty faded. We should put up some new ones on the next work day.

2) There is a run of buck and rail right above the Waldorf parking area that is tipped over. Still functional, no one is driving over or around it so not a huge deal.

Thanks @nakman and @FireMike for heading things up and to everybody who came out to pitch in.

SteveT

Rising Sun Member
My wife and I had a great time. This was my second trip with the club. Attached are two panoramic photos. One with the early arrival of the high road group. The second with everyone.

IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5774.jpeg

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

BritKLR

Rising Sun Member

HoneyBadger

Rising Sun Member
So I’m sure everyone who drove the low road is now aware of this issue at the first water crossing.
This just happened this spring. It wasn’t like this last fall.
A9CE3B17-8243-494D-A400-1C2C740BEF24.jpeg

2E90AF34-0C80-4743-815D-C71F487F5970.jpeg

CFAB7E38-1004-4362-B8B4-34C2C911712F.jpeg

While some of us probably see this as a good obstacle to conquer and a great way to keep the Subarus at bay, I have no doubt this will be looked at by the Forest Service as the perfect excuse to finally be able to shut down the lower river road. At least in part if not in whole.
I’d recommend our leadership team and land use coordinator try to pin the ranger station down to a definite repair plan before they get the bright idea to close it all down. It’s going to need several dump truck loads of larger rocks to fill it all in and make sure the river doesn’t try to go that way again. Or perhaps a re-think on how the road goes through this particular section.
It’s probably not going to be able to happen this year because of how slowly the FS moves to repair anything. But we should definitely help get the ball rolling on this.
It’s only a matter of time before the bleeding hearts start crying about how those evil off-roaders are destroying the ecosystem. And the FS will do what they alway do and just give in and shut it down.
Just look at what they did to the cabin road, up higher on this same trail system. Closed.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
So I’m sure everyone who drove the low road is now aware of this issue at the first water crossing.
View attachment 117067

View attachment 117068

View attachment 117079

While some of us probably see this as a good obstacle to conquer and a great way to keep the Subarus at bay, I have no doubt this will be looked at by the Forest Service as the perfect excuse to finally be able to shut down the lower river road. At least in part if not in whole.
I’d recommend our leadership team and land use coordinator try to pin the ranger station down to a definite repair plan before they get the bright idea to close it all down. It’s going to need several dump truck loads of larger rocks to fill it all in and make sure the river doesn’t try to go that way again. Or perhaps a re-think on how the road goes through this particular section.
It’s probably not going to be able to happen this year because of how slowly the FS moves to repair anything. But we should definitely help get the ball rolling on this.
It’s only a matter of time before the bleeding hearts start crying about how those evil off-roaders are destroying the ecosystem. And the FS will do what they alway do and just give in and shut it down.
Just look at what they did to the cabin road, up higher on this same trail system. Closed.
Definitely don't want that fate. This section was so much fun even before the washout. Would change the whole trail system if you could only take the high road (insert Obiwan meme). That bypass and actual main crossing really get the blood pumping though. Definitely makes you seriously consider a snorkel when you do something like that lol. Who was the photographer who was at the crossing for the first group (I think @FireMike was leading)? Looking forward to photos of that crew.

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
View attachment 117067

View attachment 117068

View attachment 117079

Very good point, the work around is not very elegant either.

I’ll throw my name in the hat @FireMike to help draft a letter, I think Travis’ concerns are definitely valid.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

Very good point, the work around is not very elegant either.

I’ll throw my name in the hat @FireMike to help draft a letter, I think Travis’ concerns are definitely valid.
Get information ASAP. Is the road co-listed as a county or state route? Find out the status (it should be a maintained level 2 road to the USFS) on MVUMs and USFS planning. Document its existence on historical maps and being mapped prior to FLPMA (1976) so that it would be grandfathered and in continuous use still under R.S.2477 which would require it remain open should a lawsuit be necessary. There may be a compromise required, if the creek wants to move it might not be possible (or indeed good, depending on perspective) to prevent it without extensive stabilization and bridges which aren't going to happen. Perhaps if it seems like an uphill battle we could live with a seasonal closure that prevents a full shut down.

Last edited:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Get information ASAP. Is the road co-listed as a county or state route? Find out the status (it should be a maintained level 2 road to the USFS) on MVUMs and USFS planning. Document its existence on historical maps and being mapped prior to FLPMA (1976) so that it would be grandfathered and in continuous use still under R.S.2477 which would require it remain open should a lawsuit be necessary. There may be a compromise required, if the creek wants to move it might not be possible (or indeed good, depending on perspective) to prevent it without extensive stabilization and bridges which aren't going to happen. Perhaps if it seems like an uphill battle we could live with a seasonal closure that prevents a full shut down.
It's on the MVUM. 248.1b and 248.1a https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd570785.pdf
1687749462189.png

Also we already live with a seasonal closure... that section is only open about 4 months per year!

And it was pretty much like that last year also... yes the erosion is worse, but that section is not much different, see the pics on this post from last year's run https://risingsun4x4club.org/xf/thr...b-trail-clean-up-day.32825/page-2#post-389479 Regardless, great ideas on getting ahead of this, and hopefully work with the FS on an improvement.

Last edited: