ARB VS Slee Bumper?

acon40

Banned
So I know this has been talked about a ton, but What are the weak point or thing people don't like about the NEW arb's vs the the slee. I want to full protection of the slee but for some reason I feel I have read that their quality has gone down? Am I right. I am torn between the two and I am picking some goods up during the holidays so I am not sure what to snag.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Pretty sure it's the quality of the ARB that's gone down. Don't you remember this thread?

wesintl

RS Moderator
So I know this has been talked about a ton, but What are the weak point or thing people don't like about the NEW arb's vs the the slee. I want to full protection of the ARB but for some reason I feel I have read that their quality has gone down? Am I right. I am torn between the two and I am picking some goods up during the holidays so I am not sure what to snag.

I think slee's are better for offroading we have here. I think they have better approach angles and it's made in the usa. No question on quality.

on the other hand I do like the overland protection of the ARB.

At least I didn't have much choice on my bj70 at the time.

FJBen

Here's just a thought and one situation.

#1 I think the Slee bumpers are sweet...if I were in the market, I'd be getting one of those for a wheeling truck.

but...

About 2 years ago we were driving to Kansas in our stock 80 with just an ARB front bumper. It was dark...and I didn't see the deer hop out in front of us. 70MPH impact direct on the ARB bumper...:eek: Slowed down and though...oh this is going to be ugly...go out...nothing but a cracked IPF light.

I was beyond impressed, no damage. We called the local police to let them know of the dead animal and when we told them no vehicle damage the guy was like what??? had to explain about the bumper :thumb:

I'm guessing the upper support of the bumper that comes up to the hood helped protect Mr. Deer from coming through the hood/engine bay. So that was really nice to have extra protection.

Just a thought, I would choose Slee If I were buying...just my .02

AxleIke

Hard Core 4+
I'll just throw out my .02, but I'm mini truck... :D

I love my ARB. However, it does have some weak spots. The wings in particular. I find that when I need to slide on a climb, the wings have some pretty good flex to them. They haven't done any damage, but I do worry about it. If you are doing any sort of wheeling where you need that bumper to be solid, then perhaps the ARB isn't for you.

I also REALLY like the look of the Slee bumpers. They are very nice looking. Can't speak to experience though.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
I went with the ARB, but it was before the Slee Shortbus bumper was available. I probably would have still gone with the ARB though because I've hit a few deer over the years and they have a way of screwing up your vehicle.

Really the two bumpers are night and day as far as what they were designed for. Keep in mind where ARB is from - the intent of the ARB is to protect the rig from significant damage after say hitting a kangaroo. When you're a 1000 miles from no where you really don't want your rig being immobilized. The Slee on the other was designed (I assume) for offroad use, not to ward off wildlife.

I have some concerns about the ARB quality going down as has been mentioned and it is always preferred to support US manufacturers and especially local folk. But, I was impressed with the ARB in Moab when it took a direct hit from a FJ60 that rolled backward into it. Only a slight dent/scratch to the roller fairlead attachment point. I hope it holds up that well if I ever hit another deer at 55+ mph.

acon40

Banned
Thanks guys, I will stick with ARB. I am starting a grassroots ocean rescue (in terms of oceans and the life in them and climate change) nonprofit and will be traveling A LOT in expedition style. ARB seems better.