Arapahoe Cyclery

rover67

Rising Sun Member
and Chris King stuff for Hubs, BB, Headset.. but I don't know what you'd do for derrailuers/chain/shifters. seems like all of that stuff is only imported.

Are there any domestically manufactured cranksets? Pedals?

Nothing is made here unless you want a custom titanium or steel frame.

Serotta. :thumb: Best road frame I've ever owned and I've been through a lot of them.

What about SRAM? Aren't they US built? They used to be when they were known as GripShift. RaceFace is US too, isn't it? Crank Brothers? I know Speedplay builds their pedals in the US.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Serotta. :thumb: Best road frame I've ever owned and I've been through a lot of them.

What about SRAM? Aren't they US built? They used to be when they were known as GripShift. RaceFace is US too, isn't it? Crank Brothers? I know Speedplay builds their pedals in the US.

All of the Sram stuff is made in Taiwan or China. Even their XX/Red stuff. Crank bros. and Race Face is Asia, too. Their top crank may still be made in Canada, but my Race Face Deus cranks in a newer edition are Asian, old ones were made in Canada. I do think the Speedplay stuff is still made here.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
It's true that most large company (Trek, Specialized, Giant, GT/Schwinn) production, off the shelf bikes at $3000 (complete) or less come from overseas. IMVHO there is nothing wrong with imported bikes from Taiwan since they are modern, good quality and use fair trade practices.

Made in USA:
Waterford/Gunnar
Intense
Titus
Workman (since 1898 in NYC, in the same building even!)
Independent Fab
Seven
Turner
Lenz Sport
Moots
Sinister
Retrotec
Serotta
Van Dessel
Lynskey
Ventana
Foes
Soulcraft

Some companies made high end here (and I will include Canada)
Trek (high end and OCLV)
DeVinci
Rocky Mountain
Norco

FWIW, Fox shocks are all still made in California. Also Niterider, Princeton Tec, Turbocat lights are made here in the USA still.

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=90

Gmann

Lifted
It's true that most large company (Trek, Specialized, Giant, GT/Schwinn) production, off the shelf bikes at $3000 (complete) or less come from overseas. IMVHO there is nothing wrong with imported bikes from Taiwan since they are modern, good quality and use fair trade practices.

Made in USA:
Waterford/Gunnar
Intense
Titus
Workman (since 1898 in NYC, in the same building even!)
Independent Fab
Seven
Turner
Lenz Sport
Moots
Sinister
Retrotec
Serotta
Van Dessel
Lynskey
Ventana
Foes
Soulcraft

Some companies made high end here (and I will include Canada)
Trek (high end and OCLV)
DeVinci
Rocky Mountain
Norco

FWIW, Fox shocks are all still made in California. Also Niterider, Princeton Tec, Turbocat lights are made here in the USA still.

http://www.2011.handmadebicycleshow.com/
http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328
http://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questions.php?questionid=90

Dont forget YETI CYCLES.
Made right here in Golden. Their 575 is made over seas however. I have owned two of these. I have spoken with Chris (CEO) about this matter and the only reason they do is based on sheer volume. They simply cannot keep up with demand for that frame. Their welder went over to China and taught two welders over there how to duplicate the welds. All other bikes made by Yeti are still made in Golden, CO. Anyone that rides should stop by for a shop tour. The guys are great and would b more than willing to show you around.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Dont forget YETI CYCLES.
Made right here in Golden. Their 575 is made over seas however. I have owned two of these. I have spoken with Chris (CEO) about this matter and the only reason they do is based on sheer volume. They simply cannot keep up with demand for that frame. Their welder went over to China and taught two welders over there how to duplicate the welds. All other bikes made by Yeti are still made in Golden, CO. Anyone that rides should stop by for a shop tour. The guys are great and would b more than willing to show you around.

Yeah, Spot kinda sold out too.

But i guess their overseas experiment went so poorly they brought a lot of it back.

A lot of the frames are still welded here although they really don't offer a bare single speed frame (no cable lugs, ect.). But I guess not too many folks here or in general care about single speed, so a frame set up for gears works for them now.

Convert

Hard Core 4+
Mike
Do you have any cruiser style bikes in a man's 3 speed ?

Mike,

Thanks again for the stuff the other day... I will be down there next weekend and will bring a few bikes by for some tunes. Can you guys work on vintage campy? That and my creaking BB on the mountain bike that we spoke about are my priorities right now. Actually, my Litespeed could use a tune too so maybe I'll drop them all off and get the whole stable back up to speed!

Oh, and here's a bump!

K

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Kraig,

We have and can work on everything. Between Greg and I, we have 45 years experience working in shops.

Dan,

I have trek Pure DLX 3 speed cruisers in stock. You might check them out. They are not retro, but pretty cool and VERY light.

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Well, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Well, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.

Been looking at 29ers. Whatch got in mutispeeds?

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Between Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) and Giant, I have about 40 29ers on the floor in all sizes, from hard tail to dual suspension.

Uncle Ben

Hard Core 4+
Between Trek (Gary Fisher Collection) and Giant, I have about 40 29ers on the floor in all sizes, from hard tail to dual suspension.

Looking at hardtail aluminum hydro disks. I like the Cobia a lot but really want a tad bit more relaxed riding position and I'm not a fan of Trek and their price gouging. Haven't looked at Giants yet. Might just pop in!

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Look at the Giant Talon 0. We can set up any handlebar position to your liking. At least with most 29ers the handlebars will be up higher for more comfort until you get into the comp ready geometries on the higher end models.

Trek will come in at a higher price for sure. Afterall, Giant makes the majority of Trek anyway. Trek is their biggest customer, $400 million last year.

So with Giant, one of the middlemen has been taken out. I will say you'll have a 5% premium for the name and the Specialized brand, 10-15%. (We sold Specialized from 1986 to 2002).

Bikeman

Hard Core 4+
Well, once again, it's that time of the year to offer RS'ers and any Toyota enthusiasts special deals on bikes and accessories for the holidays that the general public won't get. PM, call, or stop by.:D

Mike, great job on the litespeed! You built the wheels on the steelie so well I didn't miss it at all!

See you soon! time for some new pedals.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Mike, thanks again for your time & info on the phone today! :beer2: