Anyone know a "off grid" exhaust guy

Andrew

Rock Stacker
You have AFR and EGT gauges....what do they show?

AFR varies depending on conditions but it is usually around 12 when really flogging it, and low 15s when cruising down the highway. For instance, I just drove from Grand Junction up to Aspen today. It was around 90 degrees, AC on and going 80, and the AFR was around 14.8 - 15.2.

EGT today coming back up to Aspen was around 1000, which from my understanding is pretty normal.

Coolant temp was in the mid 190s, never hit 200.

Andrew

Rock Stacker
I'm just going to put this out there! I am Supercharged for over 10 years (lost count now) and never had any issues whatsoever with Cats. Are you running the TRD Supercharger or something more interesting to cause this. Does seem something is off if you are using the run of the mill TRD. By the way. Passed emissions last time in Denver over 8 years ago, however, I now live in an area where emissions are not needed.

Good to know! It's the classic TRD supercharger, I pulled it off a LX450 I use to have, and had Jon Bond performance rebuild it for me when I put it on. I have a 3.0 pulley on it and honestly really have not touched it since, really woke the truck up though.

I do agree that it is weird I have run into these issues. I know supercharged/turbo guys are running the stock cats with no issues. I think at this point I would blame the quality of the cats I am getting from these exhaust shops over the years that I blindly have agreed to when they say they have the correct replacement carb compliant cat. I do not think it is an issue with my personal truck unless my EGT and AFR readings sound alarm bells that I have been to naive to notice. But thats another argument.

I really didn't want to turn this thread into a debate. And for that I apologize for that. Believe me I care about the environment (heck my supplemental car has been two Prius the last few years). But nothing about these trucks screams environment, and I know from my personal experience how much better my personal truck ran over an extended period of time without cats. I was just curious if anyone in the community liked working on exhaust with out having to deal with regulations that I think even normal 80s with cats struggle to meet.

Cheers

Lastresort576

Hard Core 4+
15.2 afr even while cruising sounds too lean..but the only boost I really know is making hmt setups on old Hondas.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Yeah you want AFR to be 14.4-14.7 when cruising. 15:1 is not far off but could be contributing to melting cats.
How do rich and lean affect catalytic converters? This sort of thing is just me wondering, it's not really useful to know since the tailpipe test and O2 feedback over OBD tell you what you really need to know.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
Not "Off-Grid", but the only person I would trust to touch my 80's exhaust in the Denver area is BDM Performance Exhaust.
But they can't legally do what he wants done. welcome to the peoples republic of kalorado

80 Life

Wincher
But they can't legally do what he wants done. welcome to the peoples republic of kalorado
BDM is closed on Mondays, but I am curious and gonna give them a call tomorrow. Last I heard they were still doing custom performance exhaust work which I assume isn't complying with Denver regulations 100% of the time, but am totally unsure and will check and let you all know.

I am just going to say it since I have seen you call this beautiful state kalorado on multiple RS posts (I still have no idea where you get the "k" from lol), but no one is sitting here thinking "dang I wish lived in Wyoming" :LOL:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
no one is sitting here thinking "dang I wish lived in Wyoming" :LOL:
Count me as a "no one" then.

Kolorado -> Kalifornia, which I'm not sure when it came into the vernacular. Maybe the 1990s Brad Pitt movie? I've always figured it's because with the 'K' it seems more Soviet looking, as in the the PRK, People's Republic of Kaliforna. Dunno. Ige should just be careful thinking "it can't happen here" because it did to CO and OR and soon CARB rules be in NM and NV. How long before AZ or TX succumb? It just keeps oozing, like a puss-filled boil that never goes away.

Last edited:

80 Life

Wincher

Kolorado -> Kalifornia, which I'm not sure when it came into the vernacular. Maybe the 1990s Brad Pitt movie? I've always figured it's because with the 'K' it seems more slavik, more Soviet looking, as in the the PRK, People's Republic of Kaliforna. Dunno. Ige should just be careful thinking "it can't happen here" because it did to CO and soon CARB rules be in NM and NV.
I stand corrected. I really didn't expect someone living in Grand Junction with no emissions testing to be dreaming of Wyoming so I am super wrong on this one. I also did not know about NM and NV which is scary, I will read more into that.

80 Life

Wincher
Even without emissions the state rules for cats applies. In theory.
So what you are saying is even though you are never checked for the equipment, the law still requires cats no matter where you are registered in Colorado? And I am assuming you are saying in theory because since there is no check many people remove their cats without issue.
I am curious if you have ever heard of someone actually running into trouble removing their emissions equipment outside of a testing county. Does it require a pissed of Police Officer to check your rig while pulled over?

By the end of this post I am gonna have changed my username to Kalorado and have moved to Cheyenne. I really do appreciate all the helpful info, its hard to keep up with all the different changes continuously occurring.
"Yeah, there's work arounds, but it's a PITA" pretty much sums up emissions testing in one sentence.

J1000

Rising Sun Member

Kolorado -> Kalifornia, which I'm not sure when it came into the vernacular. Maybe the 1990s Brad Pitt movie? I've always figured it's because with the 'K' it seems more Soviet looking, as in the the PRK, People's Republic of Kaliforna. Dunno. Ige should just be careful thinking "it can't happen here" because it did to CO and OR and soon CARB rules be in NM and NV. How long before AZ or TX succumb? It just keeps oozing, like a puss-filled boil that never goes away.
CARB is already nationwide. The EPA issued guidance a few years back and fined some aftermarket suppliers several million dollars. The EPA has stated that CARB exemptions are now viewed as compliance with the EPA nationwide.

The EPA Enforcement Policy on Vehicle and Engine Tampering and Aftermarket Defeat Devices under the Clean Air Act

I called this a few years ago and was called a conspiracy theorist.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
BDM is closed on Mondays, but I am curious and gonna give them a call tomorrow. Last I heard they were still doing custom performance exhaust work which I assume isn't complying with Denver regulations 100% of the time, but am totally unsure and will check and let you all know.

I am just going to say it since I have seen you call this beautiful state kalorado on multiple RS posts (I still have no idea where you get the "k" from lol), but no one is sitting here thinking "dang I wish lived in Wyoming" :LOL:
They can do all kinds of custom exhausts on cars that are pre emissions. but it's been years since scott at aa performance said they can't even move the location of the cat due to the strict carb laws that have been adapted.

and if you think no one wants to live here, you should tell everyone from denver to stop moving here ;)

i know it will happen sooner rather than later. there's an uproar right now because a local hippy dippy councilman wants to charge or ban plastic shopping bags (he's the same one who when a large group of residents and shopkeepers complained about the homeless living in crow creek cried that 'they needed somewhere to go'. i'm still waiting for him to hand out his address to the homeless) and i don't know how many people are crying because we still haven't legalized weed. . the more crying liberals that move here, the worse it will get :(

subzali

Hard Core 4+
So what you are saying is even though you are never checked for the equipment, the law still requires cats no matter where you are registered in Colorado?
Tampering with or removing emissions equipment is illegal on a federal level, to my understanding.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

Leave-Colorado-license-plate.png

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
why do your plates look like california plates now?

simps80

Rising Sun Member
At least that guy knows where to put the stickers
Easiest way to spot a transplant - stickers on the top corners of the license plate

Second easiest way - listen to them tell the liquor store clerk their rewards points phone number

I swear 9 out of 10 always quote an out of state phone number

And my sample size on that one is very large just sayin lol

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
At least that guy knows where to put the stickers
Easiest way to spot a transplant - stickers on the top corners of the license plate

Second easiest way - listen to them tell the liquor store clerk their rewards points phone number

I swear 9 out of 10 always quote an out of state phone number

And my sample size on that one is very large just sayin lol
Don't even get me started about hearing 303 and 720 ones.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
why do your plates look like california plates now?
I thought so too. But it's actually one of 4 new ones there are throw-backs. There's black, blue and red. You can also get a green with white behind the mountains, the inverse of what we have now, which was the other alternating 1962 to 1999 plate originally. You can get any of them or from 2023 to 2027 the special sesquicentennial plate.

011623-license-plate-backgrounds-fscg-1.png
150thcolorado.png

The DMV is calling the black one the 1945, which is sorta true, the red one 1915 (this is wrong) and blue 1914. The historical plates with the years stamped in them.

US_COXX_GI1.jpg

US_COXX_GI2.jpg

US_COXX_GI3.jpg

Last edited: