• TONIGHT! UPDATED LOCATION DUE TO RAIN FORECAST: MAY 2024 CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: The next RS meeting will be Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting will be held indoors at the fabulous Golden Gate Canyon Grange. Click here for directions. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.

⦿ If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Any one have experience with recent upgrades to HVAC

gungriffin

Rising Sun Member
Ryan,

How has your heat pump been holding up in this cold?

Are you saying you keep your house at 55* overnight and 65* during the day?

When you stopped using natural gas - did you call Excel to disconnect you? Assume you just capped the lines at the old furnace?

We have a one story ranch with good solar exposure, so have been looking at heat pumps as a potential solution when our 20 year old Amana furnace bites it.
The unit has held up well. I am averaging about a 28 degree heat rise in the negative temps. Less than I would prefer, but good enough to keep things warm. My big issue was that my thermostat was getting impatient and calling for the AUX heat. That caused me to use a lot more electric than I normally would. If I had it to do over again, I would really really size down the AUX heat. Probably to only a 3kw heater.

I am keeping the house at 55 most of the time. I am not living in the house presently. The heat pump alone usually has no problem easily increasing interior temps when exterior temps are above about 5 degrees. That will improve when I have ANY insulation in the ceiling as I presently have zero. If the temp is above 30 degrees and sunny I usually see heat rise in the house from the solar gains alone.

I have not had Xcel come out to pull the meter yet. I wanted to have one winter with the all electric heat pump before I pull the nat gas. Permits SUCK. I don't want to find out what permits or costs are involved with reinstalling nat gas. Once I pull the nat gas I will save about $19 a month by ceasing the nat gas connection fee which will be awesome. I did pull all the old nat gas lines out of the house and I capped the house at the meter.

I would highly recommend swapping to a cold climate heat pump. If it is a cold climate heat pump, it might be possible to forego any nat gas aux heat. The unit I installed would only cost about $3600 total in materials before the federal credit which is 30%. That is pretty amazing to me for the performance. The unit should also greatly reduce your summer cooling costs.