And the parts pile has begun...

wheels.jpg

Weeee! This is going to be fun. :hill:

Nice!

your going to love those rims, i laced those up to king hubs with dt revolution spokes on both my 29er and my dirtjump/4x bike 4 years ago on the 29er, 6 years ago on the dj. haven't touched them since!!

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Shake down ride this morning on my new new ride.

IMG_0581.jpg

There's some theme developing with my bikes but I can't quite put my finger on it.

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Yay for parts piles! Waiting for another custom Standard Byke Co. 29er to show up!

Attachments

• 2016-04-05 17.00.03.jpg
    2016-04-05 17.00.03.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 269

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Didn't know Standard Byke made 29'ers. Those are BMX and urban bikes, right? Cool pile! A little confused, doesn't quite look like an XD hub (appears threaded at the end, but it's not a track hub) but there's XX1 stuff in there. It's not a Hope, is it? Maybe just a weird reflection off the bling.

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Standard has been making "Big bikes" for a couple years now.

Im from Davenport, Ia and I grew up with Standards. Steve (rckhound) bought me my first Standard for Christmas one year. I was maybe 12?

When I started riding mountain bikes, I pitched the idea of making Mountain bikes to Rick. He was fully on board. Ive designed most of the big bikes they have made, whether is a 26" DJ, 29er, or cross bike. They've made 100+ dirt jumper frames and probably around 10-15 29ers at this point. I myself have a custom 24", 26DJ, Cross frame and my third 29er should be arriving in the next week. They are open to anything custom. They only use materials that are made in the USA and Standard helped develop a lot of the tubing True Temper offers to the public. My new 29er frame will be long, slack, and stealth dropper capable.... weighing under 5 lbs.

If you are intrigued by Standard, PM me.

Those are Profile Elite MTB hubs. XD driver. 12x142 thru. 204 points of engagement :)

Attachments

• 2016-03-08 17.30.31.jpg
    2016-03-08 17.30.31.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 260

wesintl

RS Moderator
Where did you order the parts from. I have a custom frame to build

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Those are Profile Elite MTB hubs. XD driver. 12x142 thru. 204 points of engagement :)
Those are sweet. I had to keep it low budget with Stan's 3.30HD hubs. Got the wheelset for $350 on close-out, so that should hold me over for a while. I have the regular duty Stan's 3.30 on the Gunnar right now and other than the freehub body being on life support I can't complain. They are not high end wheels but they still spin and use standard bearings that are easy to R&R. One day I will have a nice wheelset but I just can't seem to collect enough money at one time to drop the coin. I'm usually scrambling because of an epic failure that I wasn't ready to deal with. The rear rim (I have Arch EX on it, but they get Crest this time) on the Gunnar is beyond able to take a true anymore so they are next up for rebuilding. I have a race the first weekend of May and after that they get torn apart.

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Where did you order the parts from. I have a custom frame to build

I ordered everything from the shop that supports our "team"

Jinji Cycles in the Highlands

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Fun stuff!

Havent had a new bike in a while but kinda got a new one when I cracked mine over the winter. Yay for slacked out 29'er hard tails!

aprosise

Hard Core 4+
Fun stuff!

Havent had a new bike in a while but kinda got a new one when I cracked mine over the winter. Yay for slacked out 29'er hard tails!

Its been several years since Ive built something new.... Almost 4 years on my current hardtail, and 3.5 on my Transition. Decided to work my butt off this winter and spring and its a bike year for me. Sold the Transition and now on the hunt for a trail bike too.

subzali

Hard Core 4+

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Step 1: Ditch rear suspension
Step 2: Ditch front derailleur
Step 3: Ditch rear derailleur

Step 4: Add efficiency sapping 2.5 Minion DHF to front and 2.5 anything that wont blow to rear.

I swear I will get a full suspension geared bike one day. I swear I will. I also think i'd be a hell of a lot of fun.

Problem is my single speed bike is really fun as it is and it's simple.

I really really love it.

I know its not easy to ride, slow on the flats, and folks on "big" bikes are faster on the descents when it gets super rowdy.. but damn it's fun.

I always make sure to have beer on a ride.

:guapo:

That smily would only be better if he was on a single speed.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Step 4: Add efficiency sapping 2.5 Minion DHF to front and 2.5 anything that wont blow to rear.

I swear I will get a full suspension geared bike one day. I swear I will. I also think i'd be a hell of a lot of fun.

Problem is my single speed bike is really fun as it is and it's simple.

I really really love it.

I know its not easy to ride, slow on the flats, and folks on "big" bikes are faster on the descents when it gets super rowdy.. but damn it's fun.

I always make sure to have beer on a ride.

:guapo:

That smily would only be better if he was on a single speed.
I have a cobbled 1x10 on the Gunnar and, honestly, I think that's the best all around set up. Steel hardtail and still a fairly simple drivetrain. You only really need 3 gears: normal, pavement to the trailhead and sustained climb. Both my single speeds are geared at about 46 inches, so it's a little steep. I'll probably back off on the REEB, but it's running belt drive and changing ratios is kind of a PITA and not cheap. It would actually be cheaper to put a cassette and shifter on than to change ratios.

wesintl

RS Moderator
Did you get an rs-1, Sid or pike?

Last edited:

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Pike!!!!

The RS-1's are flexy ****.