• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Alternator upgrade

On the RX

Rising Sun Member
My 2001 4runner factory alt is dying. It's output is up and down and my headlights dim while sitting a traffic light.

It's time for a new one! And this seems like a good time to upgrade. My alt is speced at 80 amps. There is the big 3 upgrade that I believe pulls from a gm platform if memory serves. There are also other options online any where from 110 amps up into the 300s.

Minimal research has already taken me down a rabbit hole! Testosterone is telling me to get more POWER! But is it really nessasary?

Right now I have a winch, 2 floods, fog lights, CB, usb chargers, and a fridge that can all pull power at different times. What is my need? I have no idea!

This seems to be the best option in my brain right now and is also the cheapest.
Two options that are direct bolt on with the exception of needing a belt .5" shorter and adding a larger wire to piggyback on the factory wires to reduce heat when fulling pulling POWER!

Anyone have expirience with upgrading amps? Lend me your experience!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Yup. See my Jaguar Alt thread. Now have done three. All work great

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

DomOfTheDead

Event Coordinator
Cruise Moab Committee
in the late 90s / early 2000s when I was a lowly GM guy, i had a few alternators beefed up locally. I have been wondering if this is still a viable option, has anyone used D & D auto electric? https://g.co/kgs/3PR1sF8 Is this even possible for a yota alternator to accept more windings and brushes?

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
in the late 90s / early 2000s when I was a lowly GM guy, i had a few alternators beefed up locally. I have been wondering if this is still a viable option, has anyone used D & D auto electric? https://g.co/kgs/3PR1sF8 Is this even possible for a yota alternator to accept more windings and brushes?
I had Doug at D and D put the guts of an 65A FJ62 alternator inside of my 55A FJ60 alternator case. The 62 isn't a direct fit into the engine bay of a 60. He can rewind stuff or do whatever.

@On the RX In my searches for alternator solutions for a 60, a lot of folks go to the BIG alts with lots of "POWER", but then don't have much or any improvement at idle. Most alternators are just fine once you're spinning the engine up, say driving on the highway, but all of them can put out less current at idle. The thing to look for is the alternator's curve. How much current can it supply at how much rpm? One way to skew the entire curve is to change the pulley size. Slightly smaller gives you more current capacity at all rpm including idle - but the alt runs hotter at higher rpm. Larger pulley skews the current capacity lower at all rpm - but the alt will run cooler.

For me, even the wimpy 55A alt that came with 60s puts out enough power for 99% of my needs - but not at idle. To improve idle current supply I looked at the whole system. Sorry this maybe isn't as easy as you thought. I upgraded almost every single ground cable on the truck to 2 or 4awg and cleaned all the contact points and bolts. I installed larger 12V wiring where necessary to cut down on line resistance. I installed all LED lighting inside and out except the headlights, so at night (when you use more accessories), I wasn't having a ton of draw from a million little bulbs. I installed a larger alternator charge wire and that made probably the most improvement. Stock was 12awg and I went to 6awg. It has to be fused. I have almost a full 1.0V higher at idle because of the healthy supply current from the alternator to the battery. I do have a pulley that's 5-10% smaller but I haven't installed it yet.

My biggest draw is 30A of halogen lighting on the front of the truck, which is usually only used when wheeling at low rpms. If I get much below 1000rpm I have to shut half of those lights down. If I had a 150A alternator it would still be kicking out a similar amount to my 65A alternator at 1000rpm so there's not a whole lot I can do from here. At 2500rpm the alternators will have a big difference in supply current - closer to their 65A and 150A rated values. But during normal driving I don't have a problem running my big lights up front because my alternator is running faster and able to supply plenty of current - so what good would an extra big POWER alternator do for me there? Not much at all. I'm also running a small bit of aftermarket stuff like you are, and a lot of times at night I'll have the front and rear heaters blowing, rear defrost and wipers going if necessary, etc. I can really have everything in the truck going full bore - including the big lights up front - and have zero issues at idle ... on a 65A alternator. That's cruising at 20-70mph.

Obviously if your alternator is dying you'll need a new one - doesn't hurt to take it to D and D in Wheat Ridge for a rebuild by a local expert and ask about a rewind or pulley upgrade. Or try out an off-label use alt like Daniel suggested if you don't mind whatever mods it takes to fit. That Tuscon one is likely using a smaller pulley to adjust the curve, hence the smaller belt, but whether or not they're doing any internal modifications who knows. On top of the new alternator, I'd recommend upgrading and cleaning your grounds and installing a larger alternator charge cable that's fused properly. That's going to make a huge difference at idle where it matters. Oh, and maybe your failure is the voltage regulator, can you try replacing that first rather than the whole alternator?

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
D&D has had my alternator for my century for about 1.5-2 months now. I keep getting, it'll be done this Friday for the past month or so. He's been busy and it isn't an issue for me, as this one is a spare. This will be the 3rd alternator he's done for me and I've had him do a few starters. Does solid work, haven't had issues with anything he's done. He can rewind alternators but he's kind of against rewinding for more amps than OEM.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
He can rewind alternators but he's kind of against rewinding for more amps than OEM.
He essentially said the same thing to me last time I was there. He said “hold on”, went in the back, and returned with the slightly smaller pulley. His point was that he’d rather see a change in pulley size than a rewind - there are other ways to skin the cat and rewinding was not at the top of the list.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
What is my need? I have no idea!
I have a DC clamp meter (inexpensive, Amazon).
Used on LongCruiser I measured idle draw and then started to switch on accessories. I got to the 80A max of the alt. I had assistance to try different RPMs. I knew LC needed mor powah. 50A or LEDs, two heater blowers, etc.
Winch draw is less alternator, more battery, because it can be 2, 3, 400A. The alt shares the load and recharges.

Have to replaced your alternator brushes? On the LC is a $20 part and on the 80 I can do it on the truck in 15 minutes. You just need access to the back.

Not many parts can wear / burn out on an alternator. 1 - brushes, 2 - bearing, 3 - small electronic bits. On Toyota Denso its almost always just brushes. Not likely you need more amps, but they can be nice. Especially at idle, hence to "trick" the alt with a smaller pulley.