Easy 80 Series 140 amp alternator install

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
The hardest part of this job was wading through the nonsense on MUD to get to the good stuff. I plan to do this to my other 80 soon before all these alternators sell out.

This thread on Mud https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/possible-bolt-in-140-145a-alternator.960770/page-4#post-14776878 discovered the alternator to use. I modified my bracket in a way that seems far more simple than anything else out there. Read on:

I read the 27 page “Upgrading stock alternator to 130/150 amp” thread to see what people were doing. Wow, that was a lot. I concluded this was the easiest and a very good way to go. This truck (LongCruiser!) managed on 80A for 26 years. But the stock alternator was struggling. It would drop below 12V when at idle. It would be just above 13 at speed. I have 2 aux blowers for the passenger area. The interior lights are all LED so a nominal load. Still, with everything full blast, the stock alternator was at 82 amps. I have three batteries.

60A additional should be good. I'm adding about 40A of lights and maybe another amp.

I have R&R alternators on my other 80 before, so removal was straightforward. Since I was not sure what I’d need to do for install I removed the battery and box, cap & rotor, unbolted the PS reservoir to move it out of the way, moved the throttle cable out of the way, removed the idler pulley, and unbolted the bracket for the grey connector above the alt to move it aside. That all gave me easy access. I did not remove the oil filter.

When installing the Jag alternator:
  1. I purchased the alternator from Rock Auto. More Information for ACDELCO 3341501 - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1000815&pt=2412&jsn=1 Took the pulley off with an impact and swapped on the 80 pulley.
  2. I made a 4GA sister wire for B terminal to the battery + with a 150A Mega Fuse in a holder (take your pick, there are many on Amazon)
  3. I drilled a new but overlapping hole on the adjustment bracket that allowed the bracket to pivot downward on the stud mount and thus clear the alternator with only a tiny additional bit of grinding – 1/8 inch ish – at the top of the bracket. I did not grind the alt case. The force of the belts on the alternator are downward towards passenger side and the slot is below the mountng bolt. It won't move.
  4. I slid the stock belts (good so I did not replace) over the pulley while the alt was free and then put the Alt into the bracket. Easy. When I need to replace belts the 1/2 longer ones would be a good idea, or I'll just pull the alternator out of the bracket.
  5. For reference, the bolt I used for the lower alternator hole (through the adjusting block) is the same length and size as the bolt that goes through the now slotted hole driver’s side in the bracket. But since it now has a nut on the back, whatever fits will work. It was easy to get a socket on the nut.
  6. The wire harness was plug and play.
I have driven about 200 miles this way. A scan gauge says I am now getting more than 13 at idle and 13.7 – 14.1 (depending on load) during normal driving. Right after startup I see 14.4 for a few minutes.

I plan to remove the factory B terminal wire bundle from the back of the alternator and attach it to the post of the 150A fuse block (on the non-fused side) so I can use my clamp gauge to see what amperage I pull when all accessories are on.

LongCruiser 140A Alternator (1).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (16).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (8).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (7).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (10).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (4).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (5).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (6).JPEG

LongCruiser 140A Alternator (14).JPEGLongCruiser 140A Alternator (15).JPEG

Attachments

• Alternator EWD Page.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 78
  • LongCruiser 140A Alternator (9).JPEG
    LongCruiser 140A Alternator (9).JPEG
    184.6 KB · Views: 97

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
This is a freaking great write up Daniel!

Oneops

Thanks posting and mentioning this at the meeting! It’s on my list for when the motor goes back in now!
Great upgrade!

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
first sentence says "before all these alternators sell out"

rock out says "out of stock"

lol.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
first sentence says "before all these alternators sell out"

rock out says "out of stock"

lol.
Guess I shouldn’t tell anybody where I just went to buy four gauge welding, cable and terminals. Or everyone will flood that place too.

71821575387__47FA369F-7468-4C97-AB22-4E390B72DA74.jpeg71821612768__E968AC30-4B46-4096-8DBC-3D5E6C1F85AA.jpeg

DanS

Rising Sun Member
Guess I shouldn’t tell anybody where I just went to buy four gauge welding, cable and terminals. Or everyone will flood that place too.

View attachment 121485View attachment 121486
Not a problem.

I’ve got stashes of heavy gauge cable. And terminals. And a hydraulic crimper.

When it’s a long ride to anywhere that can make you a cable, you just buy the crimper. 😎.

Dan

simps80

Rising Sun Member
E&g is rad
Been using them since I worked the shop parts counter at Mack in the mid 90s
Cool place

Flexus

Brand New
Just wanted to say thank you for this! I had a meangreen and a dual battery setup. I can get the truck into a super weird condition where the secondary battery is near dead (this is okay) but then when i start the truck, the redarc kicks in and draws 50 amps to charge the secondary. Well at this point, with headlights on, the scangauge can show as low as 10.1 at idle which makes all the electronics mad. HID’s start strobe, amplifiers shut off etc. If I give it a bit of gas, the voltage will sneak back up to 11.8-12.0.

I did this swap last night so far, so good. The redarc is charging the secondary, I can power on the fridge, turn on the big light bar and we’re still showing north of 13v.

My guess here is the low RPM performance of the MG is far less than the oem/jag alternator.

Needless to say, super happy with the mod. Thank you!

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Just wanted to say thank you for this! I had a meangreen and a dual battery setup. I can get the truck into a super weird condition where the secondary battery is near dead (this is okay) but then when i start the truck, the redarc kicks in and draws 50 amps to charge the secondary. Well at this point, with headlights on, the scangauge can show as low as 10.1 at idle which makes all the electronics mad. HID’s start strobe, amplifiers shut off etc. If I give it a bit of gas, the voltage will sneak back up to 11.8-12.0.

I did this swap last night so far, so good. The redarc is charging the secondary, I can power on the fridge, turn on the big light bar and we’re still showing north of 13v.

My guess here is the low RPM performance of the MG is far less than the oem/jag alternator.

Needless to say, super happy with the mod. Thank you!
Thanks so much! Glad to hear. I have benefited so much from the knowledge of others I am glad to contribute.

Mine is still great in the LongCruiser a year later. I recently calculated that I have 50 amps of auxiliary lighting. I am about to install a second audio amp.

Cruisertrash

Rising Sun Member
Thanks so much! Glad to hear. I have benefited so much from the knowledge of others I am glad to contribute.

Mine is still great in the LongCruiser a year later. I recently calculated that I have 50 amps of auxiliary lighting. I am about to install a second audio amp.
And here I am looking at an FJ80 alternator as an upgrade to my 60 when I go to dual batteries 🤣 I already had Doug at D &D stuff the guts of a 62 alt into the housing of my 60 alt. Went from 55A to 65A haha! With two batteries and some more doodads I think the FJ80 Alt with 80A will be good and I’ll still have headroom.

Back to the subject at hand, this mod you did was the Denso Jaguar alternator I’ve read about?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Back to the subject at hand, this mod you did was the Denso Jaguar alternator I’ve read about?
Yes. Case is only slightly larger than the stock 80 case and the plug fits. :) Keeps Kirchoff happy.