Alternate routes to Moab?

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Jeff, did you see Marks write-up on MUD about the "four on the tree"? :D

Four on the tree. :bowdown:
No, I seldom go to any other board than here, but I assume you are referring to Mark Algazy. He's a great friend and we share many of the same philosophies, both about cruisers and about life. When he rode shotgun with me on our Rising Sun Bill Moore Lake run this past summer, we discussed his ideas for a four on the tree.

MDH33

Hard Core 4+
No, I seldom go to any other board than here, but I assume you are referring to Mark Algazy. He's a great friend and we share many of the same philosophies, both about cruisers and about life. When he rode shotgun with me on our Rising Sun Bill Moore Lake run this past summer, we discussed his ideas for a four on the tree.

Yeah, that Mark. :) His vision is reality. Pretty cool. Benefits of the four speed with the coool of the tree shift.

I, on the otherhand, will likely be cruising to Moab this year with my trusty 3 speed unless funds and time allow me to upgrade. :thumb:

Rzeppa

Rising Sun Member
Yeah, that Mark. :) His vision is reality. Pretty cool. Benefits of the four speed with the coool of the tree shift.

I, on the otherhand, will likely be cruising to Moab this year with my trusty 3 speed unless funds and time allow me to upgrade. :thumb:
Cool. I have done Cruise Moab with the J30 and 3-on-the-tree every year I have wheeled that 40 there, and it has worked fine for me. I had the old H42 from my 76 lying on the garage floor for many years before I finally stuck it in there this past summer. I really miss the way it kept the shifter from bonking the knees of the middle passenger on my stock bench front seat. I did at least retain the dash-mounted vacuum front axle engagement and hi-lo range shifter. Other than the crappy clutch pressure plate that came in the kit I got, I am very pleased with the H42/3-speed t-case combo. But a 4-on-the-tree would be a great upgrade.

And Bobzooki, I thought Rollins Pass was closed to all motor traffic.:confused:

Yes, absolutely - that's why I said "if the trail was open".

Interestingly, the forest service marked it "closed" from the Jenny Creek side long before they marked it "closed" from the Winter Park side. I went over it one time from the Winter Park side, and got to Yankee Doodle Lake, and a "Trail Closed" sign. The last time I was up there, there was a continuous stream of ATV's crossing back and forth. There are some absolutely SWEET campsites up on top. These are now "backpacking destinations" for me. There is one spot that is absolutely breathtaking for watching the Harvest Moon rising...

FJBen

I'm hoping to get there this year...trip will be in a 40...with a tree-fiddy...so the hills shouldn't be so bad...the the pocketbook on the other hand...:eek:

Rock Dog

Hard Core 4+
Hello Bob,
Someone told me they changed the number on highway 666..
We used to come home from Monticello Via 666 and then past the turn off to telluride, through Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, and 285...

There is a REALLY back way that takes some back roads, and you have to ford across the Dolores river near the Dewey state bridge.... Never done it, but always wanted to. probably not one for towing a trailer...

Shark Bait

Rising Sun Member
My favorite way to get to Telluride is through Gunnison, south to Lake City and over either Engineer Pass or Cinnamon pass to Silverton/Ouray area and then Imogene over to Telluride. Kinda tough with a trailer, though. :D

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Hello Bob,
Someone told me they changed the number on highway 666..
We used to come home from Monticello Via 666 and then past the turn off to telluride, through Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison, Salida, and 285...

There is a REALLY back way that takes some back roads, and you have to ford across the Dolores river near the Dewey state bridge.... Never done it, but always wanted to. probably not one for towing a trailer...
Sounds like the Kokopelli Trail. Some of it is singletrack. SOME of it is closed to motor vehicles, but there are bypasses that are not.

Gonna ride it on St. Paddy's weekend, a bit early in the year but hey, I gotta get out in God's country! If anybody wants to ride a competent dirt scooter in some fun country going to Moab, PM me. Some of the route is, um, challenging. :lmao:

leiniesred

Hard Core 4+
Kokopelli Trail

I rode it last year during Cruise Moab on my hard-tail bicycle.

I don't remember crossing the Delores river. We crossed on dewey bridge. There was another bridge over some crick south of Fruita too.
There was SOME paved rode riding, but not very much at all. Maybe 25 miles.

Hants

Rising Sun Member
I would take 70 to GJ go south on hwy 50 then take 141 to gateway and down to Nucla and then across to 90 to la sal jnct.

There are a bunch of little roads from gateway to castleton or moab but I've never been on them. I'm guessing they are dirt roads...

I've only ever driven the 128 and 191 routes.

However, in checking MapSource (the routing software from Garmin), it appears that there's a route from just outside of Gateway, directly into downtown Moab.

Here are the major junctions (according to MapSource):

Gateway (on the 141, south of GJ)
Go south on 141 (about one mile)
At John Brown Rd, turn Right (West) on John Brown Road
At Road 5/10 (6 miles), make a hard left to stay on John Brown
At Road 1/10 (1.4 miles), make a hard left onto Gateway
At Castleton Rd (2.5 miles), turn/stay left onto Castleton
At Gateway (8.9 miles), turn/stay left onto Gateway
At Lasal Mountain Loop (3.2 miles), turn left onto Lasal Mountain Loop
At Sand Flats Rd (4.8 miles), turn Right onto Sand Flats Rd
At Mill Creek (9.6 miles), turn/stay right onto Mill Creek
At Road 400, turn right onto 400
At Center, turn left onto Center
in 4 blocks you're at Hwy 191 in downtown Moab

In checking the route in Google Earth, it appears to be mostly a "truck trail", and would probably be sketchy going through the La Sals if there's a late snow.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Now you got ME thinking about taking a roundabout route. That last route would make a great camping trip route I think, through the LaSals. I think my wiff would like it.

ScaldedDog

Hard Core 4+
A buddy of mine decided to take the route through Gunninson for our Memorial Day trip a couple of years ago. It took him forever and he just about froze to death.

In my book, there's wheelin', and then there's commutin'. I don't want to confuse the two. :D

That said, 128 may be the prettiest place on earth around sunrise or sunset.

Mark

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Then there's 'Adventure Wheelin' ', kinda like adventure motorcycling but with a roof and more wheels.:lmao:

Ya know, it's not too late to take that big truck of yours and convert it to an expedition rig...

Hants

Rising Sun Member
We're tentatively planning to drive the 50 through Gunnison and Montrose, then up to Grand Junction to stay the night with friends.

The next morning, we'll head down the 141 and take the back road to Moab.

wesintl

RS Moderator
A buddy of mine decided to take the route through Gunninson for our Memorial Day trip a couple of years ago. It took him forever and he just about froze to death.

That's what would kill the deal at that time of year for me with a family...

Stopping in gunnison or montrose is hit or miss that time of year. It could be a really nice warm day or it could be butt ass cold and snowing. Probably not ideal for the fam before moab and another reason I suggested going to GJ then out on the uncomphaghre. The last 2 years it's been snowing over eisenhower and vail. The 2 laner on hwy down to salida, 50 over monarch and cerro summit east of montrose could be a very long drive in poor conditions.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
Here's the route I took in 2001:

Hwy 285 to Buena Vista.

Hwy 24 to Poncha Springs.

Hwy 50 west, over the Monarch Pass, thru Gunnison (ate at Sonic), thru the Curecanti Recreation Area (beautiful but very windy) to Montrose.

Hwy 550 south. Camped at Ridgway State Park. We were the only ones camping in the tent area!

Next morning: Took the top off the FJ40. South to Ridgway (the town). Got fuel (important). Took Hwy 62 to Hwy 145. In Naturita, got some ice cream in the town grocery store, then picked up Hwy 90. Drove thru Bedrock, the tiniest town you've ever seen -- but they have a post office! This part is very hot and dry. Beautiful and deserted. We'd see two other vehicles in an hour.

Colorado Hwy 90 turns into Utah Hwy 46. Headed west to La Sal Jct.
Turned north on 191 and headed up to Moab.

We still had the top off the FJ40 when we got to Moab, and were sunburnt, even though we'd been wearing sunscreen.

------------

It's a very pleasant, two-day journey. Since then, I've always motored over on I-70, wanting to hook up with my friends for Sunday evening beers and the famous Monday pre-run.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like your route and Sunday evening beers could be a great combo and quite do-able.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Hwy 50 west, over the Monarch Pass, thru Gunnison (ate at Sonic), thru the Curecanti Recreation Area (beautiful but very windy) to Montrose.

Slight hijack but for those going through Gunninson...Went through there last summer on our way Ouray and it had become sort of a tradition to stop and eat at the A&W on the edge of town...Not the best of food necessarily but it was a tradition 6+ years running

Well, it burnt down :(...Not sure if they are going to rebuild (maybe they have).

Hijack off

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I think we need to set up a caravan for an alternate route, leaving Friday nite, whaddya think?

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Ford the Dolores River!

Rock Dog wrote about "There is a REALLY back way that takes some back roads, and you have to ford across the Dolores river near the Dewey state bridge.... Never done it, but always wanted to. probably not one for towing a trailer..."

I have heard of this too and love to explore (not so sure I can leave on a Friday night though but maybe...) so I think we should start studying the maps....

We can check riverflows at http://www.doloreswater.com/

Low flows through 4/28 (600CFS), but up to 1500CFS on 5/1 - 5/

Last edited: