Alpine Loop - Sept 15 - weather?

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
My brother and I are hoping to do the Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon) and some surrounding trails around Sept. 15. Are we likely to see significant new snow on those passes for that date? We'll have either a stock 3rd gen 4Runner or my FJ62.

Thanks in advance to anyone with knowledge on this. - Steve

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Thanks - this is the best advice: so be ready with plan B and plenty of what-if gear.

My brother and I have had plenty of rain-and-hail adventures over the years, so we expect some non-ideal conditions. But, I should plan a few side trip options so we can still have fun if we can't get over the passes themselves.

SteveH

Hard Core 4+
Follow-up story!

My brother and I just made this trip and we had (as he called it) 'Chamber of Commerce Weather'. The nights were warm, days were sunny, zero precip. Trees were just starting to change. Literally couldn't have been nicer.

We drove to Creede and did the Bachelor Loop, and then camped overnight off Middle Creek Road in the national forest. Then on to Lake City and Cinnamon Pass. We then decided to drop into Ouray off Cinnamon Pass, and the 8 mile trip was so nasty (in a stock FJ62) that we changed our plans to return to Engineer Pass. I can't believe we avoided body damage, but the trailer hitch sure got a workout from the rocks.

After camping in Ouray, we did Black Bear pass, had lunch in Telluride turned around and came back on Imogene Pass until we could find good camping close to Ouray. Black Bear's approach road had a few hairy spots, but the switchbacks were the easy part. Imogene has killer views from on top. Met some great folks, and a few serious Jeep weenies - you know, 5 Jeeps each filming each other putting one tire up on a big rock, while blocking trail access and uploading Instagram videos?

How about 1940s Coleman-stove pan-fried cheeseburgers with fried green chilis and onions?

Had a total blast on this trip. Got 4.74 MPG coming down Black Bear. My FJ62 never missed a beat and got a lot of compliments. I have to admit that I underestimate it's vault-like construction and abilities.

Attachments

• CreedeLargeBldg.JPG
    CreedeLargeBldg.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 92
  • CinnamonMorningSun.JPG
    CinnamonMorningSun.JPG
    858.3 KB · Views: 94
  • CinnamonSummit.JPG
    CinnamonSummit.JPG
    842.3 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN6615.JPG
    DSCN6615.JPG
    851.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN6764.JPG
    DSCN6764.JPG
    842 KB · Views: 98
  • BlackBearFromImogine.JPG
    BlackBearFromImogine.JPG
    850 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN6779.JPG
    DSCN6779.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 97

Johnny Utah

Rising Sun Member
Well done! Thanks for the update with pictures!

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Nice! Great trip! Love that building in creede!

Telly

Rising Sun Member
So awesome and a little jealous! This post sparked an idea to do Medano Pass with the wifey next weekend and hang out on the dunes for a couple days.

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Wow...good info. Wondering now if there is some erosion to deal with as well. We are thinking about leaving Saturday morning, 10/1 so the flow level should go way down by then (unless another rain storm happens between now and then).