• Jack-it Night: April 2024 RS Meeting Hey Guest: Wed. April 3rd is the next Rising Sun meeting, and you won't want to miss it. We're doing our annual offroad recovery equipment demonstration and trail skills training aka "Jack It Night." Meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. (early) Click here for all the details.

Adding receiver hitch to popup camper for motorcycle hauling

wesintl

RS Moderator
He's got a lock-n-roll now so it's going to be however high the receiver is...

MountainGoat

Club Treasurer
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee
That looks awesome Tim. If it tows well I wouldn't worry too much about the levelness of the trailer.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
He's got a lock-n-roll now so it's going to be however high the receiver is...

Looking at the lock-n-roll site it appears they sell different models, including ones that mount to a receiver hitch. I don't know what model Tim got. My max coupler mounts to a receiver so I was able to get the tongue height of the trailer about perfectly level by flipping my receiver from a drop to a slight rise.

Personally I would do whatever is feasible to get the trailer level when towing, especially one of that size and weight...the trailer will tow better and be safer to tow overall. Towing the popup to BFE with the tongue pointing down made for a sometimes scary drive...I could feel the trailer trying to push the ass end of the LX around much more than when the popup is level.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Tim,

I'm curious what the approximate cost was to do this? I assume that you have new stabilizing legs etc. as well for when you are camped? I love our popup for the creature comforts but being a lowrider makes it impractical for anything but improved campgrounds :( - heck, I ripped off another stabilizing jack just backing the stupid thing up the hill to where it gets parked at the in-laws' place...I'm down to one working sabilizing leg :doh: - Time to buy some that can be tucked up higher and have Timztoy weld 'em up to the frame for me :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I can actually pick high or low on the locknroll receiver side, by rotating it 180°, but I'm already flipped so the tongue is as high as it gets. I still think it'll go up a couple inches once I get a new bumper, so could be a moot point.

My total cost was about $2200. Few hundred bucks more for the LockNRoll hitch, also getting a new axle was more too. Other upsells included having him paint the whole thing, also the rear receiver, and the little railing around the deck. dave @ toyhaulerconversions.com if you want to get more specific, but figure $1500-$2500 from low to high end.

Stabilizers? I'm still using jack stands. I have a milk crate inside that I just toss them in, along with a set of 3-6" pieces of 4x4's for added height. I picked up a set of RV jack stands at a garage sale this summer to upgrade some of the HF 2 tonners, they have threaded rods but the procedure is the same- get the camper level side to side (usually by digging a hole for the tire on the high side) then lower the tongue so the back is about 3" too high, then position rear jack stands. Crank up the tongue until it's an inch or two too high, then position front jack stands. Lower tongue and the camper is supported 7 ways- 2 wheels, 4 jack stands, and the tongue jack (usually left with little load)

I had to remove my ladder to compensate for the bigger tires, also my wiring is is a mess in front- a flat 4 extension cord from the Depot got me by, but I need to clean it up and actually install the battery. I'm keeping the propane inside as well, just putting it on the deck once I unload the bike, not sure if I'll do a permanent mount for that or not. My best estimate is tongue weight is around 250 pounds, unloaded, so any battery, propane, motorcycle, or piece of firewood just adds to that.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Good info Tim :thumb:

I'll have to give your way of stabilizing the trailer a try :) - I have some stands with threaded rods in them that I've been using on the one side that had the stabilizers ripped off and that worked ok...Now that I'm missing 3 stabilizers though, the jack stand method sounds like a good approach.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Very sweet build Tim. Well done.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Spent a little over-due time this week with the camper. Got a few things knocked out that were on the list:

1. Relocated the propane hookup from the front to the back. This not only frees up valuable front deck space, but also takes a little more weight off the tongue. I had been tossing the propane inside the door until this. I used a HF receiver hitch that I welded on top of the new frame. Cut out the back side so the crank of the camper is now accessed through the receiver :cool: This serves as a place to mount a tank today, but ultimately will be just center support for a big piece of diamond plate over the top, which will become my new back bumper. But yes, I have 2 receiver hitches now.

2. Cleaned up most of the wiring, put it inside looms, etc., and mounted the battery. I'm still not convinced I want the battery in the center of the deck and not off to one side, but I did this in a way that's easily movable. I have quite a few attachment points that I've removed from trucks over the years, so was able to re-purpose a few of them for this. Made some backing plates from Simpson ties... :hill:

3. Added a few tie-down points to the front deck, including two on the old frame that now hold 2 bolts to secure my new ramp. HF had 2 ramps for $60 on sale so I snagged them, this is great as not only does it upgrade both of my trailers, but I'm able to use the ramp on the camper as my new access to the camper itself, since the stairs had been rendered useless. Once you get over the chicken house feeling, it's actually really stable and easy to use, took it to Argentine a couple weeks ago and the kids adapted easily. I shove the lip of the ramp between the old frame and new frame underneath, literally have to wiggle it for a couple minutes to get it out again... pretty slick.

Attachments

• camper2.JPG
    camper2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 402
  • camper3.JPG
    camper3.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 399
  • camper1.JPG
    camper1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 399

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Will be using the camper again soon so I'll get a pic of the ramp in action. Also I have one more mod in the works which should be complete by this weekend... will post a pic when done.

And I ordered up a brake controller and wiring kit from etrailer, based on info found in this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17839 I think I messed something up when I installed the ARB bumper as I have no trailer lights anymore... so I'm scrapping all the old stuff and starting over. Those parts don't get in until Monday though. But long term plan is to get the round 7 plug and actually have brakes, which will be a nice upgrade particularly the next time I'm moving motobikes.

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Lookin' good Tim - it's a great setup for a dual purpose toy/camper trailer. That new frame you had built is BEEF for sure.

Just don't get rear-ended with that tank hanging off the back....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Lookin' good Tim - it's a great setup for a dual purpose toy/camper trailer. That new frame you had built is BEEF for sure.

Just don't get rear-ended with that tank hanging off the back....

Yeah, a good argument for getting my brake lights hooked up . Though half the time you'd need to plow through a bike before you get to the tank, so it'll be a mixture of propane and gasoline in your crumple zone... don't follow too close! :eek:

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Got my new tires. 30 x 9.50 x 15" Maxxis Big Horns. I'll be strapping the spare to the front deck for the short term, eventually will make a carrier for the rear bumper.

Attachments

• camper_tire2.JPG
    camper_tire2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 592
  • camper_tire1.jpg
    camper_tire1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,781

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
...eventually will make a carrier for the rear bumper.

Got around to making my carrier. Also the first official 80 series parts have made it... the pulley came all the way from northern CA for the privilege here (thanks again BrentBA!)

Started with a piece of angle, chopped it up and 6 sticks later had it zapped to the frame.. :weld: Added in a couple tie plates for good measure, but at least half those welds have decent penetration so am not too worried about it. I also cut the long side a little long, needed a MSFH to get it in position, so that interference fit makes the welds almost cosmetic. The short one is on the back bumper so will be easy to monitor.

Attachments

• carrier6.JPG
    carrier6.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 569
  • carrier5.JPG
    carrier5.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 554
  • carrier4.JPG
    carrier4.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 564
  • carrier3.JPG
    carrier3.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 557
  • carrier2.JPG
    carrier2.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 556
  • carrier1.JPG
    carrier1.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 567

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
The obvious comment is about how low the tire is... yeah it's lower than I wanted but it's underneath the lifter access, so couldn't be tucked up any higher. I thought of putting this on the front of the camper, but then it kinda blows my less tongue weight crusade... but considering how long and low the rest of the setup is, I'm thinking it'd be some freaky series of events to smack that spare on something the truck's rear axle, hitch, front of camper, and camper axle miraculously cleared. It's not like we're running Cliffhanger with a camper here.

Overall pretty happy with it, and lots more room on the deck up front for cargo.

Attachments

• carrier7.JPG
    carrier7.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 575
  • carrier8.JPG
    carrier8.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 564

rover67

Rising Sun Member
It looks like your swing-out on the 100 works with the trailer hitched, that's nice.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
It looks like your swing-out on the 100 works with the trailer hitched, that's nice.

Indeed, thanks for noticing! there's 14 hours I'll never get back.. :rant:

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Since the craigslist ad is long gone, can you post up the contact info of the guy who worked on your trailer?