• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Adding receiver hitch to popup camper for motorcycle hauling

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Thread title pretty much says it all.. the wheels are turning regarding adding a receiver hitch to my camper. It's a 2006 Coleman Santa Fe... so not exactly Jayco Baja or Fleetwood E-2 in terms of frame size. The frame is 2 pieces of 2x3 rectangle, probably .125" in thickness, running lengthwise about 5' apart. Between the frame rails is some C-channel stretched across every 4' or so, probably helps keep the frame from twisting, supports the plywood above it, then not much else.

The existing back bumper isn't much stouter - another C channel, 3" tall, feels like .080" thick but it may be .100" on a good day with a dirty caliper. It's obviously not a part of the long-term solution.

My biggest worry is I create something that totally supports the bike, but just rips apart the rest of the camper frame. Though I'm trying to picture a catastrophic failure and maybe it's nbd.. I will post some pictures later, but curious if anyone's done this? :weld:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
Didn't Red Chili say that he added a receiver to his popup? In the diesel thread? I think he did so he might be a good source for info although I'm not sure what the difference is in structure between a Coleman and a Starcraft camper...

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah I saw that, thanks Jeff... what are you doing over here, anyway? :p:

difference is his Starcraft is more like a Cruiser frame. The Coleman is more like a HF utility trailer. :eek:

corsair23

Hard Core 4+

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Bad idea Nak. You will develop a sway that will terrify you. The whole thing will become ungodly unstable.

DAMHIK ...
Even a bike rack exposed some impending sway due to a large drop ball mount in my case. I got quite an education!

You can cut and lengthen your frame and create a rail mount... :thumb:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I was going to say you will not have enough tongue weight with motorcycles on it and you'll get ridiculous sway that could cause a serious accident. you would need to cut and add a deck. Even so you still need to figure out if you will have enough tongue weight without it being too much and out of balance. You'd probably be better off finding a camper with a deck on it, JMHO.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I already added a rail mount up front for Gavin's bike. seems like with that, and a second propane, I keep adding tongue weight. I could see shifting the small bike to the back, then the big bike up front, but still feel I have more tongue weight than anything.

I've also got a receiver tray that could be used to move some concrete around, for testing purposes.. :hill:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Here's a thought... take the box off the frame... build a proper tube or box frame of your desired length... with deck... and place a heavier duty axle and leaves under it after determining oh, say, 60/40 front-rear load bias, laden. Just temp mount the axle till you have the sweet spot nailed.

And there you have it. Nakspedition style.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Here's a thought... take the box off the frame... build a proper tube or box frame of your desired length... with deck... and place a heavier duty axle and leaves under it after determining oh, say, 60/40 front-rear load bias, laden. Just temp mount the axle till you have the sweet spot nailed.

And there you have it. Nakspedition style.

I have considered that, really. I get the 60/40 split on load ahead of the axle, but there's a hard limit on tongue weight of say, 500 pounds? Which includes everything else up there. I think 2 guys should be able to lift the trailer off the ball...

I find it curious though how much these types of toy haulers vary. Here's one with the camper in front of both axles. How is that even maintaining close to 60/40 with and without 3 ATV's?
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/3001371439.html
5Gd5H25M13E13Ff3mfc572da6d91b80dc1ca3.jpg

Here's the other extreme: no tongue weight at all until you add the bikes:
http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/2996807292.html
5Id5Gd5Je3Ke3oc3pac54b79491c3d0641fd9.jpg

maybe 2 axles allows you more flexibility there. :confused:

wesintl

RS Moderator
I already added a rail mount up front for Gavin's bike. seems like with that, and a second propane, I keep adding tongue weight. I could see shifting the small bike to the back, then the big bike up front, but still feel I have more tongue weight than anything.

I've also got a receiver tray that could be used to move some concrete around, for testing purposes.. :hill:

even with the big bike in the rear and the small bike in the front and a propane can I think it'd be sketchy. you can measure the tongue weight fairly easily. You don't want too much or too little is all, although too little usually bites you first.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I bought some steel at lunch today. Little bike weighs 110 pounds. Big bike weighs 230 pounds. I'm guessing my new bumper/receiver will add 50-75 pounds behind the axle.

So for 2 bikes, thinking big bike up front, moving the little bike to the back. When it's just the little bike put it up front (already works fine), and when it's just the big bike then use the receiver carrier in back to offset some tongue weight with propane or something, or leave the camper at home and just sleep in the truck. Or just have it heavier up front. In my head all of these puts me within 100 pounds of a tongue weight I've already proven works without issue.

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
There's theory and there's reality...
In theory, your plan will work. In reality....

I would be concerned about the frame strength, and flex. Really, take a look at some of the fab some folks have done with box frames and used camper boxes. I've seen some really cool ones, done on the cheap, stable as a stone. Your pix notwithstanding, though the truck camper on the dual axle actually has more tongue weight than you might think due to the overhang.

Longer length betwixt tongue and axle buys some stability. Rearward axle does too. But loading does make a difference, my generator is a sensible difference depending on where I put it. Now, ALWAYS as far forward as I can, and add air to the air bags, and stabilize the ridiculous drop ball mount, I am good to 75.

I sure found out when my RS shocks had a slight leak and had an air bubble, let me tell ya!!!!!! :eek:

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Sounds like you need a quad cab Tundra with a tow pkg. Both bikes will fit fine in the bed and the little camper will thank you for it. :drink:

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
That, however sensible, is not the naksterergonomic solution.

:lmao:
Can't wait for the build up thread!

wesintl

RS Moderator
wonder what unclenakdude would suggest :)

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Sounds like you need a quad cab Tundra with a tow pkg. Both bikes will fit fine in the bed and the little camper will thank you for it. :drink:

Out of the question. I don't want another truck, not this year, unless it's a really pretty FJ40 or early Bronco I just can't resist. Not in the market for a tow vehicle... and speaking of constraints, I can't do a larger trailer either, I've got a 7' wide opening between my garage and my neighbor's fence, so anything wider than this camper or my utility trailer won't fit in the back yard, without some serious landscaping and adding a gate to the other side of the yard. which also isn't happening.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
wonder what unclenakdude would suggest :)

that's a great question. Can you summon him? I thought you guys were roommates or something..

Until then, let's have a closer look at the trailer in question. One correction from above, it's a "Sedona" model, not a Santa Fe. the Santa Fe is the smaller 8' box, what I had before this one.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 410
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 393
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 397
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 405
  • trailer5.jpg
    trailer5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 389
  • trailer6.jpg
    trailer6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 398

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
the extension cords are for additional electrical, all 12v. The PVC is a Ham antenna mast, also an Estes Rocket tree recovery tool. Two more...

Attachments

• trailer7.jpg
    trailer7.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 403
  • trailer8.jpg
    trailer8.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 462

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+