Adding receiver hitch to popup camper for motorcycle hauling

Jacket

RS Moderator
Staff member
Damn that's a challenge - this is why so many folks have F250's though...

What happens if you carry both bikes off your back bumper, and then extend that carrier to attach the camper to it?

Someone here at work recently had an E3 up for sale at $9500 - I think it was a 2006. I should see if he ever sold it.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Chad: I did have Romer's 40, but sold it a few years back.. it lives in Texas now.

Matt: an E-3 is pretty big, and heavy. the 100 isn't that much better than the 80 at towing. It's better, but not like a big pickup truck or anything. And a double carrier extendo deal before the camper just sounds sketchy, that's a lot of weight hanging off of there. I also like to still get into the back of the truck, even with the camper hooked up- something you lose when you do a receiver thing. Would like to stay at 3500 pounds, total, when loaded. Otherwise feel I'd just wear out the 100 needlessly, and get even worse mileage.

Marco: have seen lots of those, but too wide to fit in the back yard. Any 'real' trailer is going to be wider than what I can reasonably back into the gate- want to keep it at 7'.

Beater

Hard Core 4+
what is that 14ga at best? looks twisty. but that's me... You know I am all for thin gauge, but closed/boxed and with gussets.

I think your looking at purpose built not "lets hope this works"..

j

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
I'm with Beater. That frame won't take it.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
you could flip it upside down and beef it all up....

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I showed that take-it-ez to the :Princess: and the response was "I don't want to be in a box!" :lmao: So as I see it I've got three options now.

1. Build a new trailer frame, new axle, slap my existing camper on top of it, build in a large bike platform in front, maybe a smaller one in back. Could probably do this for $1500 and a bunch of garage time.

2. Sell my current camper, then get a Fleetwood E-2, or similar. 9000-1500= $7500 to flip that, plus a mess of CL transaction time.

3. Build something totally different, similar vein to what Josh did: http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/561416-utility-trailer-project.html
sky's the limit on budget, but realistically $3k even with a new RTT.

I am leaning towards door #3. Will likely run what we got for the summer though, so this could be next winter's project... or at least after my basement is done :eek:.

corsair23

Hard Core 4+
My :twocents: worth :hill:

Knowing you, you don't want too much bigger because then you'll start limiting yourself on where you can go with it. Remember me at Area BFE with my popup? Sure, doing a SOA on it would have alleviated many of the concerns and probably saved the landing leg that I ripped off on the way out, but still IMO you couldn't get much bigger down where we were.

You are going to have to compromise because you want to bring a lot of toys (don't we all?).

I know the tops of the popup can't support much weight, not much more than an air conditioner or a bicycle rack but could you build something that would allow your motorcycle to ride up top, more centered over the axle, that would still allow you to raise the popup, and not be a complete cluster? :hill:

I was thinking something like those racks they make for Jeeps that you can use with a soft top or not top. Might add an unacceptable amount of width though trying to tie it in to the frame...

60wag

Rising Sun Member

Attachments

• Jack Trailer.jpg
    Jack Trailer.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 360

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
Yeah they sell those Jumping Jacks at JAX in Lafayette if you ever want to go see one. Cool concept, but worst of both worlds, IMO... the utility trailer is small, and not that beefy. The tent is, well, just a tent. there's a fold-up table inside, then 2 beds. So big clunky utility trailer with your weight way up high, converting to a big airy tent with no popup amenities. And what about the rest of your gear- under the quads is where the tent and poles go, but your action packer of motorcycle gear, tote of pots & pans, stove, grill, sleeping bags, pillow, clothes, shoes.. all need to ride inside the truck, in the half of the back not already consumed by the fridge. not happening! :)

If I were a two guys going hunting with a quad it would be a different story, perhaps.

Jeff I've thought of a rack for above the camper, but can't see it happening in a way strong enough to support a bike, yet removable enough to get out of the way to let the camper rise. Cool thought though, other than I don't really want the bikes way up high like that for wind drag, side hill, tree branch, and pain to push them up there reasons.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Why not build your utility trailer with some removable stuff that can be used to tie down the bikes? And then drag two trailers? That's not a big deal.

What's the size of the deck on your utility trailer? It's gotta be able to fit two bikes, facing opposite...

Or go Woody style w/ a twist - Diesel tow rig - gooseneck - slide-in popup - 100 series - dirtbikes :D

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
You saying put a receiver on the utility trailer, then pull the popup behind it? or the other way around? That sounds dicey either way.. :eek: or by pull two trailers are you saying just take 2 cars. That's more realistic.. and for that one trip this summer where we need all the bikes and the camper, probably most practical.

The utility trailer is 5x10, yes it can easily do 2 bikes in front facing forward, and third in the middle facing back.

subzali

Hard Core 4+
I'm thinking pull the utility trailer with the popup, both behind your 100. Seen it done before, not sure if that was on a Coleman or something more sturdy...

subzali

Hard Core 4+
Check this out: doing a search for people pulling two trailers:
37197d1315276577-anybody-tow-two-trailers-tandem-2011-toyota-jam-134.jpg

Red_Chili

Hard Core 4+
Yabut, that is a 5th wheel pulling the car trailer. It's a nifty advertisement for a diesel pickup, but... I bet Johnny Law would be your new best friend in most states.

nakman

Club Secretary
Staff member
I'm going to look at a Jayco Baja 10y tomorrow.

Jenny Cruiser

Hard Core 4+
Jayco gets my vote. :thumb: My Grandpa used to pull a 16' boat behind his 35' 5th wheel here in CO and never had any problems. He could back them both up too.