• RS MAY CLUB MEETING
    Hi Guest: Our monthly RS meeting on Wed. May 1st will be held at the Rooney Sports Complex. Details and directions are here. Early start time: 7:00 pm. to take advantage of daylight. We'll be talking ColoYota Expo and Cruise Moab.
    If you are eligible for club membership, please fill out an application in advance of the meeting and bring it with you.

Action Needed!! Emery County Bill

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
We’re in danger of loosing a large chunk of motorized access to the San Rafael Swell on Monday feb 4th

I’m drafting an email right now to the Emery county commissioner to pull the Emery County Lands bill.

Our comrade Kurt Williams is down in Castle Dale fighting the good fight for us.

To develop an accurately-informed opinion, please read up on details of the current bill from this morning's update by RwR here:
http://www.sageridersmc.com/land-use-issues.html
Note that, due to today's legislative activity, fixing this bill is no longer an option (although a new bill could always be introduced in this or future sessions of Congress), so our ask is to pull the Emery County bill from the package. Also note that, while it's still worth contacting your congress people and attending the Emery County meetings (this Monday , February 4th at 5pm and 6pm in Castle Dale), the critical action is for you to contact the Emery County Commission by Monday:
http://www.emerycounty.com/commission/index.htm
If your comment is written, please send a copy to me (Clif at RideWithRespect dot Org). Although this whole predicament is unnecessary and frustrating, the office of elected representatives deserves respect, so please focus on the issues rather than the individuals. And encourage them that it's never too late to start doing the right thing.

Those pushing the bill say it's a done deal. Let's prove them wrong. Let's seize the day. Thanks -Clif”

Last edited:

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Here is what I wrote

To: commission@emery.utah.gov

Dear Commissioners,

Motorized vehicle access to the areas outlined in the latest Emery County Public Land bill is near and dear to me.

I do not believe that the current bill adequately addresses the concerns of the OHV community.

Please do not let this bill proceed.

Sincerely,
Jackson Philby

Last edited:

Mendocino

RS Chapter Eternal
Gone But
Not Forgotten
I sent an email too. This bill would designate a very large portion of the San Rafael Swell at "wilderness" and shut off many OHV roads.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
A couple of the documents as to what Jackson and Jeff are referring.

2_ec_bill_map_2018-12-11.jpg

5_price_travel-plan_map_2008.jpg

jps8460

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee

RayRay27

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
I just sent an email to the commission as well.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Email sent

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
Sent. cc Jackson & Kurt. It matters that they know we know each other and make it as personal as possible.

Subject: Emery County Public Land Bill - Public Comment

To: commission@emery.utah.gov

Dear Commissioners,

I spent seven days over two weekends in January 2019 exploring and enjoying legal motorized routes on the San Rafael Swell in parts of Emery County. I have been enjoying the peace and solitude of the region several times per year since my first trip 18 years ago. I travel at least six hours from my home in Denver, CO to enjoy the region and share it with friends. Motorized access is essential. I travel in my Toyota Land Cruiser.

Motorized vehicle access to the areas outlined in the latest Emery County Public Land bill is important to me and many communities.

I do not believe that the current bill adequately addresses the concerns of the OHV community.

I am active in my 4wd community through clubs, organized events, and media publications.

Please do not let this bill proceed.

Sincerely,

Daniel Markofsky
(+ address and e-mail in my sig)

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
FWIW, keep the emails brief and clear that you are in opposition to it being passed at this time. There hasn't been time for all stakeholders (key word) to assess impacts due to government shutdown delaying release of the BLM maps. Also stress the economic and tourism money that OHV and mountain bikes have to southern Utah. Emery County believes this is economically beneficial to them (there's provisions for coal mining and Federal government land swaps for state trust land) but the commissioners know they ultimately answer to residents of Caste Dale and Green River, who can see with their own eyes who's staying in the hotels and stopping at the gas stations.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member
Email sent

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Email Sent, thanks for the heads up

FJNos

Email sent, thanks for bringing this up. I went to the Swell for the first time last year at Cruise Moab. It was definitely the highlight of the trip for me and would be a shame to lose those trails.

Stuckinthe80s

Rising Sun Member
Staff member

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
FYI, the commissioners voted to support the bill as written, so it will be part of the larger bill (Senate bill 47) that is probably going to be voted on this week. I think it was read in the Senate yesterday (Tuesday 2/5/19).

I have not heard what happened in the informational meetings last night. The part where you get to find out what's in the bill ex post facto.

This means the recommendation Emery County is supporting is to expand Wilderness in the Swell by about 200,000 acres (it's outlined Red Rock Wilderness Act). Alternatives would have been National Monument designation, for one.

It's likely nothing will be halted now regarding the Swell since the larger bill in Congress includes an important hand-outs here in Colorado (it apparently has something to do with Minturn gaining access to the Bolts Ditch Headgate) as well as Idaho, Alaska, N. Carolina, Montana, Oregon, California, New Mexico (also more Wilderness there) and Wyoming that I know of.

It seems the Wilderness in Emery County is important because otherwise several environmental groups would have opposed the bill and prevent passage. The reason Emery County is supporting it is they gain something like $50 million due to state land consolidation. Not sure I completely understand the why's and how's of it though.

Last edited: