FREE A343F Transmission

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Pulled with 245k. Worked fine per the previous owner. Still mated to a blown HG 1FZ-FE. Take the whole thing or I can separate. I plan to take the everything to the recycler sometime next week. It's sitting on my trailer covered with a tarp.

Let me know if you need anything off the 1FZ. I plan to keep the sensors, p/s pump, starter, and alternator.

Correction: the tranny is a A343F out of a 97 80 series.

Last edited:

FireMike

Rising Sun Member
I don't think it fits the 94, A440?

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I don't think so.

rover67

Rising Sun Member
I think I need the oil cooler and cover for it, I’ll be home tonight and can check. Did you use the t case?

Telly

Rising Sun Member
I did use the original t-case with my swap.

80 Life

Wincher
Pulled with 245k. Worked fine per the previous owner. Still mated to a blown HG 1FZ-FE. Take the whole thing or I can separate. I plan to take the everything to the recycler sometime next week. It's sitting on my trailer covered with a tarp.

Let me know if you need anything off the 1FZ. I plan to keep the sensors, p/s pump, starter, and alternator.
i will take just the transmission if its going to the trash

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Sounds good. I'm home tomorrow afternoon and all day Sunday if you want to grab it. No rush tho.

80 Life

Wincher
If there is someone else out there who needs this for their rig just say so and its yours. I just graduated college and have never got that deep into a vehicle and am thinking I could learn some by rebuilding this transmission. I do have a 93' LC so I do have somewhat of a reason I am doing this, but definitely don't need it.

Hulk

RS Webmaster
Staff member
Cruise Moab Committee

I'll take the valve cover if you're just going to trash the whole thing. I've been thinking I need to bling up a valve cover for my 80.

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
I met a young guy at the meeting that lives out of an 80. He just blew his A442F. Angelo is sending him this link now…

80 Life

Wincher
I met a young guy at the meeting that lives out of an 80. He just blew his A442F. Angelo is sending him this link now…
Sounds like someone who could use it more than me. Let me know what he thinks in the end.
Curious if you know anymore about his A442F and what happened?

DanielChase

Rising Sun Member
Sounds like someone who could use it more than me. Let me know what he thinks in the end.
Curious if you know anymore about his A442F and what happened?

He said it wouldn’t go into gear one day and he found some metal shavings in the fluid. His A442F is in his JDM Diesel truck… Under 300k miles but a relatively recent purchase so he’s wondering if the seller knew about it. Weird cause they usually seem to last forever. If memory serves he was one of the guys waiting for @Hulk to approve his forum registration so that may be why we haven’t heard from him here yet.

80 Life

Wincher
He said it wouldn’t go into gear one day and he found some metal shavings in the fluid. His A442F is in his JDM Diesel truck… Under 300k miles but a relatively recent purchase so he’s wondering if the seller knew about it. Weird cause they usually seem to last forever. If memory serves he was one of the guys waiting for @Hulk to approve his forum registration so that may be why we haven’t heard from him here yet.
Read about a guy who was looking to do the same for his diesel cruiser. He piled up the below problems that needed to be solved to use a A442F from a gas cruiser to a diesel and threw in the towel. Not sure if any of it is true, especially the part about the diesel A422F being better built.

- The diesel transmissions are built better
- Definitely needs a different torque converter
- Probably needs a different valve body
- Has a different bell housing configuration.

Inukshuk

Rising Sun Member
I have a transmission sitting in my backyard too.
Should be A442F.
Had anopthe one a while back a member took and never heard if he used it or not.

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
Well, I'm looking into it, but it sounds like there's 2 versions of the A442F. All early HDJ81s have the A442F and are full hydro. Now from what I've learned the later A442F have an ECU. Believed to have controlled the ECT and OD. Can you run one without the ECU?

Doughboy

Rising Sun Member
I just realized this is the 343 so my guys going to pass

rover67

Rising Sun Member
Hi doug, I'd love all the oil cooler parts, i think its just the cooler and cover on the passenger side of the motor. Would pulling them off be an option or should I figure out a time to go grab the whole motor?

Thanks,
Marco

Telly

Rising Sun Member
Welcome to take the entire motor but I'm happy to pull the oil cooler off for you instead.