88 pickup 5 speed stuck in reverse

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Ok so my truck was starting to give me problems shifting during last cold spell. Barely got it home from work and parked it in back yard. So went to put it in garage and it got stuck in reverse,had one chance to get in garage, got lucky and managed to get in the garage in one shot. Master clutch cylinder was low, leaking inside cab. Pulled everything out thinking that the clutch and brake bracket may be cracked also. It was fine, ordered new clutch master and slave cylinders from Derek. Replaced those, bleed system. Still stuck in reverse. Pulled backup light plug and tried to move lever inside there, nothing happening. I’m at a loss at this point as to what to do. Have to work 12-9 today so I won’t be back until tomorrow, off tomorrow so hopefully can find an answer. My wife wants her truck back. It sucks having 2 trucks down. TIA Dan

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
What engine is this? Or better, do you know which transmission you have? It could be a G54 (unlikely you have a carb 22R) or more likely a W56 (22R-E) or R150 (V6).

Sorry to say it's maybe the reverse gear or maybe the idler shaft. It's the common failure on a W56, although usually the manifestation is not being able to get into or popping out of reverse.

Quickest solution? Find another W56, yours would be the W56B and drop-in years are 1986 to 1988. You could make any W56 work (1985 to 1994) but in 1989 the transfer case shifter moved to a shared plate with the transmission, thus a so-called "forward shift" so you'd have to do some part swapping or floor board hole saw'n to make it work. Yours is known as a "top shift" t-case and the two boxes have their shifters in the right places.

Marlin says a 6 to 8 week lead time for a rebuild.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Thanks Dave Not the news I wanted to hear. Replaced clutch in spring, cat stolen 2 weeks later and now this. New transmission is not in the budget right now. Might have to finally try and get my rear link bushings replaced in my 3rd gen runner. Cheaper but not an easy job to do.

IoN6

Rising Sun Member
Can you remove the shift boot and have enough access to remove the top cover? Not likely to resolve anything, but it could be a quick way to determine the source.

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
check with yota jim. he may still have some transmissions. i got a w56 from him decades ago for my old pickup that i bought with a bad g54

Squishy!

Rising Sun Member
Were you in 4WD when it stuck? I've had everything bind to the point of feeling stuck, but not to the point you are describing.

Notyourmomslx450

Cruise Moab Committee
Cruise Moab Committee
Thanks Dave Not the news I wanted to hear. Replaced clutch in spring, cat stolen 2 weeks later and now this. New transmission is not in the budget right now. Might have to finally try and get my rear link bushings replaced in my 3rd gen runner. Cheaper but not an easy job to do.
I have a press...
What's the cost difference in just replacing the rear control arms vs bushings? Time is money and it would be a lot faster to just replace the arms vs bushings.

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Can you remove the shift boot and have enough access to remove the top cover? Not likely to resolve anything, but it could be a quick way to determine the source.
Did that, nothing in there to see. I replaced the 2 rubber parts for the shifter. The round one at the bottom of the housing was completely disintegrated.
check with yota jim. he may still have some transmissions. i got a w56 from him decades ago for my old pickup that i bought with a bad g54
Maybe my next call.
Were you in 4WD when it stuck? I've had everything bind to the point of feeling stuck, but not to the point you are describing.
No, just trying to get in the garage to work on it.
I have a press...
What's the cost difference in just replacing the rear control arms vs bushings? Time is money and it would be a lot faster to just replace the arms vs bushings.
That’s a thought also depending upon cost. I know I need to do something fast. Down to one truck right now. I have 3 day weekend this weekend Friday to Sunday. If I decide to do the links I will have to disconnect rear DS on pickup so I can roll truck out of garage and get runner in to work on it. stay tuned

J1000

Rising Sun Member
To me that sounds like it was low on fluid, did you see how much is in there or top it up?

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
To me that sounds like it was low on fluid, did you see how much is in there or top it up?
Low on gear oil can make it feel rough and make shifting while moving hard if the synchros aren't meshing well. But if the truck isn't moving then rowing the shifter the gear oil level shouldn't prevent movement I'd have thought.

Unless it was really low, then could be talking seizing spinning parts.

It could be something simple like a broken pin on the shift fork, too. Problem is ultimately whenever a manual transmission gets stuck in a gear you kinda need to open it for an inspection to know what jammed.

Unless you mean hydraulic fluid? Clutch disengaging would be really tough to shift moving but still, standing still? Maybe it's wound up?

I'm making a big assumption here.

Last edited:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
So made some progress today and I was able to move that shaft back, I had this screwdriver that was modified to use on the jets for a 100 HP outboard motor. I gave that a try and sure enough I was able to move it. So no longer stuck in reverse. Shifter moves through all the gears only with engine off, start it up and clutch will not fully disengage. Tried bleeding the system again until I lost pressure and slave cylinder stopped moving clutch fork. I suspect the soft line may have failed while trying to bleed system. Part ordered from Stevinson. Also picked up a set of rear links for the 4runner is all else fails I should be able to get the runner back up and running.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru

nuclearlemon

Hard Core 4+
$700 😂😂😂 what?
Last couple W56 I had to give away to clear space they aren’t worth anything
I paid 250 for a mint one from Jim...the way it goes sadly

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
@FJCDan

1985 W56A with t-case

If you want I'd probably split it with you for the transfer case.
Looks like the tranny is ok, I can shift through the gears while engine off. Clutch will still not disengage. So I managed to get it out of the garage and into the backyard. Put it gear, start truck pull into street shut off, put into reverse and start truck and back it into backyard. Pulled 4Runner into garage and will start that project tomorrow replacing rear links. I tried every way possible to bleed master cylinder and still won’t disengage.
I paid 250 for a mint one from Jim...the way it goes sadly
Jim wants $500 for a tranny. Toyo pros wanted $800. Picked up used links for $100.

DaveInDenver

Rising Sun Ham Guru
Blown slave cylinder?
Both master and slave are new Toyota. It sure does seem hydraulic though. Maybe air in master that he can't bleed?

@FJCDan, can you move the release fork at all by hand? What about pumping the pedal, any pressure building at all? Might be able to isolate issue to inside bellhousing or outside. Maybe something seized and blew the hydraulics.

Last edited:

FJCDan

Rising Sun Member
Both master and slave are new Toyota. It sure does seem hydraulic though. Maybe air in master that he can't bleed?

@FJCDan, can you move the release fork at all by hand? What about pumping the pedal, any pressure building at all? Might be able to isolate issue to inside bellhousing or outside. Maybe something seized and blew the hydraulics.
Both cylinders are new, definitely thinking I am having an air bubble issue. Might have to pull master and try and manually bleed it some how. Meanwhile I changed out the rear links on 4runner, not too bad of job. Took it out for a test drive, felt great rear end didn’t feel so loose. But now I am hearing a clunking sound now. I do need to check gear oil in diff, I also need to do rear axle seals. During the test drive ABS light came on momentarily. This starting to get frustrating since just need to get one of these trucks road worthy again so my wife can have her truck back again.

rushthezeppelin

Rising Sun Member
If you are looking for quick easy and cost effective bushing replacement for the runner, check out mevotech supreme. I replaced my whole rear links and am very happy. Many report they are one of the best non OEM or expensive upgrade options out there and reports of people putting at least 80k on them without issue. The uppers are even a slight upgrade as they are thicker.