80 series oil leak

CBone

Hard Core 4+
I discovered a small oil leak in my truck. It seems to be coming out from the timing cover. There is a small skid plate located near the steering stabilizer and when I removed that I discovered where the leak was coming from. I've attached two pictures looking up from under the truck. The leak is pretty small and it seems it may be the timing cover gasket. Based on my limited knowledge, seems like a pretty tough fix. Can someone who has experienced this provide a little guidance? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Picture1.bmp
    124.4 KB · Views: 175

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
Carlton
I have not had the experiance with that. I am sure Robbie could give you some tips. In the meantime you may want to post in the 80's section on mud. There is a lot of experiance there.

CBone

Hard Core 4+
Thanks Ken, I will head over to Mud and see what I can find. I do not know Robbie?

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Well (hard to see with a tiny pic), it could be the oil pump cover that some times leak. or front pan arch leak, or front crank seal leak. But the pic is close to the oil pump cover. Not that hard to replace. but will need the O ring and new bolts. the old ones can be hard to get out, will need to remove the front pulley(If I remember right). will need a torch and #3 posi point screw driver. Most have gone back with allen head screws after.
Just a couple of hours on a good day. Later Robbie

Corbet

RS Moderator
Staff member
timing cover is a big job. The book is 17 hours. I paid my mechanic to do it. I think he charged me $800ish? I'd have to check my receipt to be sure.

Make sure you used the Toyota o-rings if this is where your leak is. My leak was a result of the PO's HG repair and reassembly with non toyota o-rings.

But according to CDan timing cover leaks are not that common. I'd check where others have already mentioned and/or post larger pics.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
After looking at the bigger pic posted on Mud. It still is hard to tell what your problem is. I see a bit of wetness off the oil pump cover to the right of the pic. Also it may appear to be the front oil pan arch. To do the oil pump cover you must take off the front pulley, then remove the 7 (i think) screws. You then replace the oil ring, then screw the new screw in. You must have the new parts before you start this. I would also replace the front crank seal since you must remove the pulley to do this.
If it is the front pan arch weeping, it would take me about 6 hours to pull both oil pans to put on new FIPG and button it back up. It usually takes most people more to do a job I can do in a certain time frame. I know a few Mud guys that have take a good day and 1/2 to do the same job. Any how this is the best I can do with the pictures I see. Best bet is to clean it up real well with a good solvent or Brakeleen type of cleaner, then lay under it with the engine running for a bit and see where the oil is dripping from. Later Robbie

Romer

RS Moderator
Staff member
So Robbie, are you back in town and open for business to do jobs like this?

If so, I couldn't think of anyone better to do the job.

powderpig

Hard Core 4+
Hello Ken:
I am back and could do some small jobs for people at their home until I get set up at a friends local. I do start a 9 day wilderness first responder class(80 hrs) that starts on the 12 of december, ends on the 21st of dec, then kids at home for holidays. I will be more open for bussiness after the 1st of Jan. Thanks for asking. Later Robbie